Jeremy Beadle

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Jeremy Beadle
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #0
I'm not entirely sure how many of the American people on these boards will know of Jeremy Beadle, but he passed away last night. He was only 59, and, as far as I know it was pneumonia.

Here's the wikipedia link.

It's so weird. Watching "Beadle's About" was a staple of my Saturday evenings when I was about 7 or 8...

:(

[ Thursday, January 31, 2008 00:49: Message edited by: Benjamin Barker ]

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - White, two sugars. :)
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #1
Huh. Interesting how the internet makes everything seem immediate. I wonder if I ever would have heard of this otherwise.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #2
I immediately thought that this thread was about Sweeney Todd..I was wrong about that..@_@

--------------------
But after revenge is taken, nothing remains but a painful scar...
You ain't evil until you hear this!
Looking for group to slaughter the world..
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #3
I remember Beadle's About! They aired it over here a long(ish) time ago, too. It was a pretty decent candid camera show, or maybe I was just the right age for enjoying it. Can't say I'm very saddened by his death though, considering I haven't heard anything about him since those days.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #4
Apart from the TV (which was pretty good anyway - they show repeats sometimes over here), he was a writer, and after his TV career waned, he raised over £100 million for charity, which is all the more amazing when you consider he was battling cancer as well as the genetic disorder he was born with.

So yeah, I can live without the threat of a TV comeback, but he did a lot of other things in his life.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - White, two sugars. :)
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #5
Hmmm well of course I remember the dubious Beadle's About and You've Been Framed, but I was actually a bit surprised (and impressed) with his charity work.

In other news, I was also saddened to hear that Miles Kington has died. C'est un unhappy chose, mais at least il a inventé une langue très belle.

[ Thursday, January 31, 2008 14:12: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #6
The death rate for celebrities really does seem unusual this year... Perhaps its just because more attention is being brought to it, but nevertheless. Anyway, I suppose I might as well continue to theorize on the next one down... Morbid though it is, I suspect Fidel Castro will not make it through this year.

Edit: I'd like to note my loose definition of "celebrity", meaning generally someone who is well known, and liked in enough circles that their passing would be mourned by a substantial population.

[ Thursday, January 31, 2008 14:41: Message edited by: Actaeon ]

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #7
Esto nobis praegustatum
In mortis examine.

It's a coincidence, like when the U.S. had three school shootings in one week.

--------------------
set_name(1,"Excalibur");
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #8
What is this now, the third dead celebrity thread? Just make a universal dead celeb '08 thread, with gambling for those who wouln't make it. Famed people are falling like birds, so it shouldn't get to inactive, plus there would be mourning.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
"To fly, throw yourself at the ground and miss." -The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #9
Celebrity whatchamacallit seems to have returned to normal now.

--------------------
set_name(1,"Excalibur");