ACS - TNG

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: ACS - TNG
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

Excalibur: Google Arcanum. The demo is very short, but I kind of enjoyed it. Engine-wise, it's a Diablo clone really, but according to the one who recommended it to me (Alorael?) there's an option for turn-based combat.
I think it was Thuryl, but then I haven't been through the archives for a while.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - White, two sugars. :)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #26
Wasn't me. Arcanum is on my shortlist of games to play when I have Windows or equivalent.

—Alorael, who doesn't know of many steampunk games, period. Arcanum, the Thief series, bits of Myst, and what else?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #27
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

I doubt it. Avernum and Geneforge were both in totally unique worlds, so it would be very unlike Jeff to use an existing theme or whatever in one of his games.
Fantasy/Adventure is an existing theme...

Alorael's last post reminds me, the Myst series was awesome. The D'niverse was so rich, the books such a beautiful concept. I love that series so much, and I'd love it if Jeff made something like that. Except totally different (not in same universe).

Also, as I dive into the fourth book of the trilogy, I'd also recommend something like the Hitchhiker's Trilogy.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
"To fly, throw yourself at the ground and miss." -The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #28
That would be. . . hard. Plus, Nalyd isn't sure that Jeff is comically up to it. Not that he can't be funny at times, but the Hitchhiker's Guide is a different type of humor.

Again, Nalyd just missed Fenchurch through all of the last book. :(

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #29
Well, speaking of creating books out of RPGs, I'd be amused if someone created one based on Don Quixote.

--------------------
set_name(1,"Excalibur");
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #30
Don Quixote was a guy with lots of advantages who managed to send his life straight downhill by getting addicted to reading 17th century fantasy novels. For all of us here he should be some kind of patron saint.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #31
Well, I highly doubt someone would become delusional from reading too many books of chivalry and the like.

Heh, when the barber in the story burned his books and walled of his library, Don Quixote thought some enchanters were out to get him.

--------------------
set_name(1,"Excalibur");
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #32
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

Well, I highly doubt someone would become delusional from reading too many books of chivalry and the like.
Really? It seems that there are scads of people that identify very closely with that stuff. It's not hard to figure that a few are of the delusional sort. Feel free to join your kingdom, for whatever it is worth.

IMAGE(http://www.scottishfestival.org/images/sca-fight.jpg)

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #33
In Quixote's day, thick books of romantic epic verse were the closest they had to the true ambrosia that is CRPG shareware. He was our spiritual ancestor, and all the more appropriately so for having been fictional himself.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #34
Wow Salmon, I hope those links were googled, otherwise...

--------------------
set_name(1,"Excalibur");
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #35
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

Wow Salmon, I hope those links were googled, otherwise...
I'll help you out by telling you that your existence to date has been in the nest. There is a huge world out there, and you would serve yourself well to approach it with a wide open mind. The Society for Creatblah blah blah has been around for decades, and is, while not in household use, certainly in common knowledge. So yeah, I googled sca, fully expecting to see what I got. I don't completely get it, but it is pretty awesome that it is out there for people that do get it, and want it.

So stop turning up your nose at things to which you haven't been exposed.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #36
If the SCA counts as out of the nest for you, then you're still in a somewhat bigger nest.

For which there is a lot to be said, of course. Wackiness past a certain point just gets banal.

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #37
The trick is to invert your nest and, in doing so, subvert the dominant paradigm of the outside world.

"The wide world is all about you; you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot forever fence it out." - JRR Tolkien

"Fantasy is true, of course. It isn't factual but it is true. Children know that. Adults know it too, and that is precisely why many of them are afraid of fantasy. They know that its truth challenges, even threatens, all that is false, all that is phony, unnecessary, and trivial in the life they have let themselves be forced into living. They are afraid of dragons, because they are afraid of freedom." - Ursula LeGuin

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6934
Profile #38
For what it's worth: Jeff has mentioned his post-current-franchise plans in this interview. While he doesn't reveal anything earth-shattering, it's still good to see that he is absolutely aware of what he does best. We're in good hands here, I think.

--------------------
Always be true to yourself - unless you suck
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #39
My suspicions are confirmed that A5 is faster selling, but I'm still bewildered by the fact he can make such great games and not enjoy it.

--------------------
set_name(1,"Excalibur");

Pages