World building poll

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: World building poll
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #75
What this thread needs is Minotaurs.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #76
A speices that exists as only "thoughts" might be interesting. They have no bodys and can only comunicate by sharing thier thoughts with others (the recipitants would think that these thoughts were thier own) thus this race of "thoughts" would remain invisibul to the world. Of course there would not be many of these "thoughts" out there, maybe only a hand full.

--------------------
This is what happens when you drink Life Water: [SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1]
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #77
Hey, it's thought-of-a-race-of-thought-creatures! Long time no see! I'm afraid practically no-one here will remember you. Alorael's sig is pretty much the only oldby left these days.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #78
Thought species... rare instances of souls staying activated despite their bodies dying?

--------------------
Life is a neverending carneval where everyone has multiple costumes. I just hope mine are pleasing to the eye.
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #79
quote:
Originally written by Frozen Feet:

Thought species... rare instances of souls staying activated despite their bodies dying?
Something like that, but there can not be many of them in existence. Only a few dozen of them, so as not to flood the world with "thoughts."

--------------------
This is what happens when you drink Life Water: [SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #80
Actually, no one can think. We're dependent on symbiotes for our sapience, and they're dependent on us for existence.

—Alorael, whose signature says hi to any other thoughts hanging around here. You wouldn't believe how cluttered his head is getting. In other news, this may, in fact, reveal the reason for a third person signature.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #81
I don't like the idea of sentient thoughts. I'm swaying towards a telepathic, secluded race who have long life-expectancies.

--------------------
I dub thee...
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #82
How about ghosts?

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #83
quote:
Originally written by Agrajag:

How about ghosts?
Yeah, these thought-creatures just sound like invisible ghosts to me.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
"To fly, throw yourself at the ground and miss." -The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #84
I thought of them as being wisps. (Like in BoA)

--------------------
I dub thee...
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #85
Awakened souls fit all those descriptions quite well. As the wish was they should be rare, I think I can insert them in the world.

--------------------
Life is a neverending carneval where everyone has multiple costumes. I just hope mine are pleasing to the eye.
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #86
*I double-post, and yet another puppy dies*

The biggest bottle-neck in my operation is quickly becoming, ta-daa!, maps. As I myself am busy with writing basic ecosystems and half dozen other things, I'd like to utilize those interested in this project to help me. I'd greatly appreciate if someone could produce me a (relatively empty) map template of a roughly Earth-sized spherical object. Bonus points if it has lines of latitude and longitude drawn.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #87
Great, a triple-post. This time, I must've killed a frakkin' elephant.

Okay, okay, let's put grumbling aside for a moment; I finally have a little bit of material to share with you. Say hello to the prologue for our project:

Warce (pronounced as wanted)

Far, far away from our world, in some distant corner of the universe the planet of Warce floats in the void, circling around it's sun with its sibling planets. It's not a world where life has an easy time, as its crust is in constant turmoil, with the earth quaking and volcanoes spitting fire being everyday life of its inhabitants. Most of the land there is has formed into huge mountain ranges, with the highest peaks rising to the height of twelve kilometers. What little flat ground there is is suspectible to huge tsunamis caused by the shaking of earth, which sometimes reach hundreds of kilometers inland. Many are the cultures that have been swept away by the giant waves. To worsen this even more, the void in which Warce floats is all but empty; thousands of years ago two large comets collided in its orbit, and Warce is still floating through a cloud made of their shards. Most pieces burn away when entering Warce's atmosphere, seen only as numerous falling stars, but some of the larger chunks have caused horrible destruction and greatly altered the cause of history, often to the mischief of Warce's inhabitants.

For all what we know, civilization, or even high sentience, might not be possible in Warce as it is now if it weren't for the Flow. The Flow, a never ending, ever present stream of metadimensional energy constantly washes over Warce, lending its strength to all living who roam the world's surface. This has allowed complex beings to thrive, making possible the diverse and sometimes logic-defying creatures that inhabit the plains, mountains and seas alike. You see, when many small beings cluster together, it causes a tiny bend in the fabric of space, and when flow contacts those bends, it crystallizes into what are often known as souls; these souls not only strengthen life with their blessing, they also record memories of those creatures they have belonged to, and maybe, when the suns die and Warce and its siblings are reduced to dust they were once born from, those souls will be carried by the flow and preserve the memory of Warce for all eternity.

Unfortunately, the inhabitants of Warce seldom ponder about these things; they struggle in their world of constant chance, trying to make a living out of barren rocks, salty seas and flooded plains. Only those who have much of time and energy to spare can muster enough knowledge and concentration to learn about the Flow and harness it to their benefit, and they are few and far between. Most civilized beings live in poor conditions, stuck in a state of barbarism forced on them by their hostile world. Luckily, they and their world are still young, and their predecessors have shown that great knowledge and prosperity are possible even in a world which does its best to kill you. Only time will tell how things will turn out for them...

---

Any complaints about the name will be faced with amused indifference, however that is possible. As a side note, I'd still like someone to help me with the map. As another side note, if there's an administrative person of Polaris lurking around here somewhere, I'd like to chit-chat about weather with him. Oh, and those possible Polaris sub-forums as well.

My current to-do list before I'll let you play with me:

- Make descriptions for the advanced species: southfolk, norfolk, gifers and xyrrian (deceased)

- create some mythology about the culture that was formed by the xyrrians

- create an example culture of norfolk and gifers

- make descriptions for some bottom-of-the-food-chain plants: redmoss, stoneburner fruit, hangman's mold.

- make descriptions for some small animals which eat the aforementioned plants: chitterbug, mossgnaw, kuriaiw and woolly rhino. Nevermind that the last one isn't small

- make decent prep-speech for creating more flora and fauna (and mythology and...)

As you can probably see, this might take a while. I hope to be done at Friday night, but don't count on it.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #88
Interesting, I've never heard of a primordial world before.

--------------------
set_name(1,"Excalibur");
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #89
Very good intro, but you might want to change the name.

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #90
I don't like it.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
"To fly, throw yourself at the ground and miss." -The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #91
You didn't kill an elephant, the UBB did, it ate one.

Your story is interesting, but I have a feeling that the Norfolk and Southfolk are gonna hate each other, maybe leading to already done plot, it looks really good, keep it up. :D

--------------------
Vivan los Drayks!
Viva Khyryk!
Vivan los Serviles!
Vivan los Travokites!
Tastes like Bambi, delicious
If you don't want to type my full name, call me Xel.
People, stop insulting my signature.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #92
quote:
You didn't kill an elephant, the UBB did, it ate one.
He mentioned elephants because he deliberately triple-posted. UBB has actually been quite tame recently.

[ Wednesday, January 23, 2008 16:11: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
set_name(1,"Excalibur");
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #93
Are you kidding, it ate Jeff just recently, look at the topic indie RPG of the year.
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #94
quote:
Originally written by Agrajag:

Very good intro, but you might want to change the name.
Don't worry too much about the name. If you ever generate a tribe of people in the world, they're free to call Warce whatever they want. I might chance it, but I can't come up with anything better right now. Seriously.

As for south- and norfolk, I was thinking of something quite different than interspecies war. You'll see after I get the descriptions done.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #95
*grumble* Where did all the interested people go? I'm seriously becoming sick of double-posting.

And now for the actual news: because the rest of my life also wants attention, my preliminary work is taking longer than I initially thought. I got gifers, redmoss and stoneburner to workable condition and have the prep-speeches in store, but that still leaves lot to do. And I still haven't found a decent map template to work on; if someone wants to lend a hand, it's not too late!

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #96
some of the "Interested people" have other things to do, anyway.

Xyrrians, I think that they should have long lost purple artifacts that look like crystals, and you could use one of these rare crystals to boost your magic power (again, is very rare), but in exchange you would go mad and your eyes would turn purple, but you wouldn't know until it was to late, which maybe could be how the Xyrrians got wiped out.

Redmoss- self explanatory, red moss, tastes like chicken, can be poison if overheated.
Blooms all the time but winter

Stoneburner- A sweet fruit that has some pockets of acid that can dissolve anything, but can be eaten safely by picking out the orange spots. Blooms in fall

Hangmans Mold- this stuff grows way to fast, a inedible gray mold, that if you fall asleep near a population of one, it grows around you and chokes you, hence the name, good for alchemy, though. Blooms at anytime

Chitterbug- Chirps at night, is a herbivore, eats mainly red moss, tastes great fried, but then again what doesn't?

Mossgnaw- a little rodent with 11 teeth, green fur, often carries a lethal sickness called "the white scar" which goes up your body eating tissue and leaving a white scar, these little buggers are fierce and territorial, the only thing that eats hangman's moss.

Kuriaiw- a 5 legged feline the size of dog, this has 3 front claws(on each foot), and 6 back claws, and a pelt ranging from bluish gray to a fiery orange-red, eats Mossgnaws, has some sort of unknown protection against the sickness.

I would say more, but I am tired and I don't want to type, hope this are useful ideas FF.

--------------------
Vivan los Drayks!
Viva Khyryk!
Vivan los Serviles!
Vivan los Travokites!
Tastes like Bambi, delicious
If you don't want to type my full name, call me Xel.
People, stop insulting my signature.
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #97
I sent you a pm a while back Feet. It basicly says that I am willing to help but that I might not be the best choise for making the map. Anywho, if you what my help in someting just let me know.

w00t! I made it to 200 posts after 7 years! Bow to my spamy post rate little mortals and tremble! :P

--------------------
I am a white pebble.
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #98
quote:
w00t! I made it to 200 posts after 7 years! Bow to my spamy post rate little mortals and tremble!
And I have 100 posts in a half year, hmmmm :P .
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #99
And Iffy achieved the same in about a week.

--------------------
set_name(1,"Excalibur");

Pages