A Few Questions

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: A Few Questions
Warrior
Member # 8872
Profile #0
Ahh...I've been gone for nearly two months. I have a few little questions I've been thinking about:
What language are the Spiderweb games programmed in?Is anyone here a programmer here besides me? If so, what language/whatever/projects do you specialize in?How does one get in on a beta test and does it require programming knowledge?And finally, How are you?

--------------------
Feel free to rate my karma. Please. I like to have an idea of what people think of me.

The Mystic: "Vista is a funky and finicky OS to begin with."
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #1
The games are done in C/C++.
As far as I know (having never beta tested) it requires no programming knowledge, just playing the game again, and again, and again.

I personally spend nearly all of my free time programming in C++ and Objective-C, although I'm also reasonably familiar with Java.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Warrior
Member # 8872
Profile #2
I program Revolution, a remake of HyperCard. I am also reasonably familiar with HTML, XHTML, CSS, and a tiny bit of JavaScript. I look at C/C++/Objective-C once in a while, but I don't have them or understand them very well.

--------------------
Feel free to rate my karma. Please. I like to have an idea of what people think of me.

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #3
I can use PHP and Java equally well, but I have more practical experience with PHP. I have programmed in FORTRAN, but it's been a while and I'd need to consult a book to make anything more complex than Hello World.

These aren't programming languages, but I can handle XHTML/CSS quite well (only basics of Javascript though).

All my current work is in PHP. I contribute to Drupal, and I work on some personal PHP websites, Endeavor and the PPP forum archives. Lately, I made this tool. I also like to implement primitive encryption ciphers (here).

[ Tuesday, October 23, 2007 13:23: Message edited by: root ]

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #4
It's been a while but I programmed in Fortran.

Beta testing is split between those that have done it before and did a good enough job to be asked back and new applicants that fulfill some guidelines that Jeff never tells us about. Just apply and see what happens next time Jeff asks. Although you can expect a wait of over a week sometimes before Jeff sends information that you are accepted. This makes it hard to tell if you got rejected since they never hear.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #5
I programmed a bit in QuickBasic when I was in high school. I was young! And foolish! I know a bit of Perl, am comfortable with C (at least, with the standardized C libraries). Most of my university work is done in Java, and Java is the only language I've done Real Work in. I know bits of SQL and HTML, but those aren't programming languages.

What type of beta testing are you talking about. Assuming you mean for Spiderweb games, black box testing is all that's needed. If you mean for BoA scenarios, knowledge of AvernumScript is useful for troubleshooting.

And I'm fine. Thanks for asking.

--------------------
I wasn't lying, Senator. I was presenting a different version of the facts.
- Oliver North
Warrior
Member # 8872
Profile #6
Revolution is basically my job. I am still a beginner though, but it's a pretty good, easy language. I use Apple Motion, Photoshop, and sometimes Cinema 4D in conjunction with it. Revolution also does networking, and I deal with that also. If you're interested in Revolution, go here.

And yes, I know HTML and such aren't programming languages, but it's still basically programming.

--------------------

Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Fractal:

And yes, I know HTML and such aren't programming languages, but it's still basically programming.

That depends on how you define "programming language". If I remember correctly, the language has to be able to implement an infinite-state Turing machine (be Turing-complete). Which obviously rules out all markup languages, but might leave enough room for things like javascript. (Assuming javascript allows recursive function.) This definition basically means that to be considered a "programming language" your language needs a mechanism for recursion or loops.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #8
So far, I know just enough HTML to severely modify certain programs (and almost hack some WildTangent stuff, but I decided it wasn't worth my time). Since HTML isn't a "real" programming language, I'm trying to find something that is easy to work with, yet has a lot of capability and can function as a foundation for learning other languages. Any idea how I should start?

And I'm doing fantabulously, by the way. :)

[ Tuesday, October 23, 2007 17:06: Message edited by: Taliesin ]

--------------------
"We were meant to live for so much more. Have we lost ourselves?" - Switchfoot
----
My poetry
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
HTML to severely modify certain programs
...certain documents, surely? ;)

And I'd start with Java. It coddles the programmer in a way C doesn't by extensively safe-guarding against certain errors - but doesn't spoil the programmer by using weak variable types like PHP.

[ Wednesday, October 24, 2007 00:03: Message edited by: Xian ]

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Xian:

...certain documents, surely? ;)

And I'd start with Java. It coddles the programmer in a way C doesn't by extensively safe-guarding against certain errors - but doesn't spoil the programmer by using weak variable types like PHP.

Technically they were Internet program scripts, not actual programs. The stuff WildTangent uses all the time. Hardly documents.

I had heard that starting with C/C++ can often lead to devilishly complicated coding unnecessarily, so I think I'll look into Java a bit. Thanks for the advice. :cool:

--------------------
"We were meant to live for so much more. Have we lost ourselves?" - Switchfoot
----
My poetry
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Taliesin:

I had heard that starting with C/C++ can often lead to devilishly complicated coding unnecessarily, so I think I'll look into Java a bit. Thanks for the advice. :cool:

If it helps you feel better about Java, Berkeley CS department has switched most instruction from C to Java. The only classes still taught in C are the ones dealing directly with hardware, such as machine architecture.

At this point, writing in C is kind of like writing directly in machine language: sure it's more efficient, but it's completely unnecessary for most applications.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.