Avernum what is cool

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Avernum what is cool
Apprentice
Member # 9682
Profile #0
The thing that made me love avernum was the world map, how u navigate your team, avernum 4 change that way it become like all the others adventure games the cool was run out of food! use boats, flyng, lol that was cool, i miis the days of avernum 1,2,3!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
Originally written by robrusso:

The thing that made me love avernum was the world map, how u navigate your team, avernum 4 change that way it become like all the others adventure games the cool was run out of food! use boats, flyng, lol that was cool, i miis the days of avernum 1,2,3!
Well, hate to break it to you, but Avernum 4 kinda saved the company. And the engine is staying, for the most part. However, Jeff is tweaking bits of it to make it a bit more similar to past games.

And you know, you can always just replay the first three. :P

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
I doubt from what Jeff has said that we're getting back flying, but boats are suppose to return. One complaint about A4 was the sense of scale was lost of vast caverns. This is supposed to be fixed but mostly because there will be new regions where there are no preconceptions.
Warrior
Member # 8872
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

[QUOTE]
And you know, you can always just replay the first three. :P

I am constantly doing this, because to me, there are limitless possibilities: different types of parties, singletons, torment, completing all the side quests in existence, exploring every explorable pixel, the list goes on. And, if you get tired of that, there's always Nethergate, Geneforge, BoA/BoE, even the Exile series is a satisfying new experience compared to the other games. Besides, it gives you a little insight into the humble beginnings of Spiderweb Software.

There are practically 14 engines to play here. To me, an engine isn't just the basic functions, but the minute details like how you pick up items, the arrangement of the buttons, things like that. Personally, I find it nearly impossible to get bored of Spiderweb games. Sure, the A4 engine is a slight disappointment to some (I think it's fine), but it is a great game. Some people just can't get over the graphics but they are the best I could hope for. I am greatly looking forward to A5 and G5 and whatever else the future may hold.

--------------------
"The mouth is like the city gate. Opening it lets the soldiers of stupidity into the world."
--Shaper wisdom from G2

Porcrastinators Unite...Tomorrow!

The Mystic: "Vista is a rather funky and finicky OS to begin with."
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
I miss the outdoors. I miss boats a little bit after how much buying a boat in Silvar opened up E1/A1 and the fun of A2's chapter 2, but even A3 started to phase boats out. Flying was just never that integral a part of the games.

In exchange for transportation and outdoors, you get a lot of nice things in A4. Area of effect spells, bows that aren't terrible, combat that actually rewards a modicum of thought, the ability to click to move, pylons to spare yourself tedious journeys, and more. As far as the engine goes, I think A4 was a big step forward.

—Alorael, who even likes the Averforge graphics. He's apparently in the minority, which proves that everyone else is crazy. The only change he really thinks should be advocated is a return to the original save file system rather than these newfangled slots that take up inordinate amounts of disk space.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Alorael:

The only change he really thinks should be advocated is a return to the original save file system rather than these newfangled slots that take up inordinate amounts of disk space.

Amen. I really enjoyed Nethergate: Resurrection because I could easily find saved games without having to worry that I overwrote a file I wanted.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #6
The worst thing about the save slots is that -- for no apparent reason -- you have to manually hit delete for each character of their titles. That means that if you alternate among save slots, it's a big hassle to actually give useful, descriptive titles.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #7
Actually, that reminds me of something that always peeved me about the Geneforge and later Avernum games user interface. You couldn't select and edit text as one would normally be able to do on a computer. Changing the save file names was always such a hassle like Yama pointed out.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Warrior
Member # 8872
Profile #8
In the eye of reason, we're just being really lazy. Although I must say, it is annoying.

--------------------
"The mouth is like the city gate. Opening it lets the soldiers of stupidity into the world."
--Shaper wisdom from G2

Porcrastinators Unite...Tomorrow!

The Mystic: "Vista is a rather funky and finicky OS to begin with."
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #9
Avernum 4 was a step forward and a step back.
According to the descriptions...Avernum 5 will retrace most if not all of the steps.

Avernum 5 sounds really good, as I have said countless times.

Jeff has great creativity, and if it wasn't for him...we wouldn't have all these great games.

I am thinking too much again. I get lost in thought often...

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I have an addiction to Spiderweb games.