Multiplayer COOP.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Multiplayer COOP.
Apprentice
Member # 8411
Profile #0
Now before the hardcore flaming starts :P

I'm not saying the way Spidwebs games are is bad, I've played them since Exile and have always loved them more than pretty much any other rpg I've ever played.

One thing recently thats been tugging at me is the thought of one day having a coop mode within some of the games, am not sure what form it would be in. But it would be cool to be able to play Geneforce x# Avernum x# or even another Nethergate in the future.

It would probably mean the games would need to be expanded more and have more difficulty with a coop mode.

The one thing I do not know is how difficult Spidwebs engine is to add on such network code, some engines can be modified very quickly others require an entire rewrite.

Anyways what are your opinions on it?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 6 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=eJzJgscHEXVp"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=eJzJgscHEXVp"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #1
quote:
Now before the hardcore flaming starts :P
If only TM were here.

Anyway, you can already do a variation of this.
It is called (in Avernum) controlling half your adventurers and a friend controlling the other.

Or (in Geneforge) you control the Shaper/Lifecrafter and your sister (or someone else) contol your little cryoa.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again

WtRM v. 2.0.1 betatesting needs Mac users...Thraini is getting impatient.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
This is discussed in various forms regularly. A way to do what Iffy suggests over the internet is (barely) possible, but anything more complicated is not. Jeff is not in the business of programming for online anything, and he's carved his niche out in single player games. It's not worth his time and risk to make the games multiplayer.

—Alorael, who supposes it could be done as a kind of trial with open source BoE. He thinks the programming would be too difficult for too little interest, though.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #3
I wasn't talking about over the internet.
I only meant at the place where the game was being played.

That is why I used words like sister and friend.

Here is an, lets say you and your friend were at your house. You then decided to play Avernum 2 as a team. It is a party of two, and you control one character while the other friend controls the second.

Also, Alorael is right. It would take too long and be too risky for Jeff.

[ Monday, July 16, 2007 05:57: Message edited by: Infernal Flamming Muffin ]

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again

WtRM v. 2.0.1 betatesting needs Mac users...Thraini is getting impatient.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
I wasn't responding to you directly. Drakemoore pretty clearly meant something other than improvised hotseat games ("network"), and while your idea could be extended over a network in theory, I explained why it won't happen in practice. You agree. And I think this topic has run its lethargic course.

—Alorael, who can't see anywhere more useful for this thread to go. Most posters who could have contributed have deigned not to. There can be only one fate for topics such as this.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00