Questions before buying

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Questions before buying
Apprentice
Member # 9290
Profile #0
I'm playing the Avernum 1 demo right now and it is a really tight game. It reminds me of Old School Ultima. Now here is what I am curious about it.
The first thing is I noticed a number of the games are series, so I was wondering are the characters transferable? If I beat Avernum 1 can the characters be transfered to Avernum 2? Or is this a feature in any of the other games?

Also, how customizable are they? Can I import my own music? I've noticed there are a number of bmp image files, so i was wondering if tinkering around with the images is possible also.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #1
I'm afraid transferring parties from one Spiderweb game to another is not possible. Each of the series, though set in the same world, portrays the adventures of a whole new group of people. The only Spiderweb game where you can take your party from a previous adventure to a new one, is Blades of Avernum (and it's earlier version, Blades of Exile).

About customizing: apparently you're playing the games with Windows. The windows versions of the games have no built-in music in them, unlike from what I've understood the mac versions. I usually just play the games with the sound turned off, and with my own choice of music playing in the background. Messing around with the bmp's however, is very much possible. Just take backups of the files first, and whatnot.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
You really wouldn't want to bring your A1 party into A2. Your A1 party is pretty much maxed-out by the end of the game, and A2 assumes that you have level-1 new adventurers.

The Mac version of the games doesn't have music, either, except the startup intro music. Playing the music of your choice in the background is probably the best way to go. A3 does have background town noises, though.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #3
And Blades of Avernum is pretty much the same as A3 in terms of music (Not intro theme).

But if you get through the Avernum series, and work your way through the Geneforge series into G4...than G4 has a nice intro theme.

As for buying, it is worth it. Though once you beat A1, then A2 is next. And A2 is one of the best games Jeff has created.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

Muffins n' Hell

WtRM v. 2.0.1 betatesting needs Mac users...Thraini is getting impatient.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #4
Though I personally prefer the old Exile games, the Avernum games(which are remakes of the Exile games) aren't too bad.

--------------------
Yes, I've met Scallopman.
--Random Chef at a Restaurant that William Shatner has eaten at before.

What does a Scallop taste like, I don't know. Did I eat a lot of them, yeah.
--Henry Rollins
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
Avernum's music is endlessly customizable as long as you bring your own music player. I'm sure you've already noticed the lack of musical accompaniment from the demo. That doesn't change.

Graphics are exactly what you see in those BMPs. You can edit to your heart's content. In fact, you can find a lot of graphics made for Blades of Avernum that can be used to replace whatever you don't like in A1-3.

—Alorael, who supposes one could manage to "import" characters by duplicating them with the editor. As others have noted, though, it's no fun. Mauling your way through low-level enemies with an overpowered party gets old fast.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Zebranky:

Mauling your way through low-level enemies with an overpowered party gets old fast.
Don't believe those fascist lies.

On a sidenote, in the long-run, iTunes or some other media player is often better than most in-game music anywayz.

--------------------
Yes, I've met Scallopman.
--Random Chef at a Restaurant that William Shatner has eaten at before.

What does a Scallop taste like, I don't know. Did I eat a lot of them, yeah.
--Henry Rollins