Final Fantasy

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Final Fantasy
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #25
If we're willing to consider other genres under the banner, then I would say that Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, or maybe Final Fantasy II were worse. Chrono Cross was pretty bas too. The fatal flaw of VIII, like those games, was that the combat engine and magic system were broken. I thought the story in and of itself was pretty cool. VIII with, say, X's system would have been pretty cool.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #26
FF2 wasn't great, but I'd play it over 8 any day. There's no way its advancement system was as tedious and stupid as draw-junction. And comparing TA to 8 is slanderous. TA has flaws, but the story actually goes from crappy to pretty good if you give it time, whereas 8's story goes from really crappy to even crappier. Certainly its battle system was far deeper and more interesting!

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #27
I always thought the series looked cool and finally a Gamecube Final Fantasy came out: Crystal Chronicles. I eagerly bought it and played through the first boss. IT SUCKS. I never finished it.

The other ones still look appealing somehow.

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #28
Tying character development to use of particular weapons was beyond tedious - I have no idea why they went with that versus the simple point system that was so absorbing in FFT. Perhaps it added to the challenge, because you couldn't configure your party the way you wanted, nor really level grind without having opponents outstrip you with better abilities (at least as far as I recall - and I'll admit, I didn't get much beyond the first esper(?) before frustration set in). It really sucked the joy out of the game for me though.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #29
The weapon-learning system was influenced, I think, by FF9's similar system. I agree that it's not ideal.

What you have to do, I think, is realize that you are not building characters of specific classes with strength and weaknesses, you are building characters of specific races with strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately two races outstrip the rest: Humans get Twin Swords and kill in one attack while buffing insanely with Blue Magic, while Viera either Doublecast Madeen summons or use the Conceal/Shadowbind/Last Breath combo. I guess Moogles could be useful for the status effect gunshot attacks and for Time Magic.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #30
I just beat Final Fantasy XII. Now to complete it.

Also, I would like to comment on how XII's storyline wasn't really that great. It was okay...but could have used some improvement.
The gambit and moving systems were great though. You can escape (fleeing) and avoid certain attacks. And it is balanced.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
Infernal Flamming Muffin destroyed every single muffin. Then he disappered forever. So the muffin posts are gone. No more muffins!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #31
Have fun completing it. I actually stuck it out long enough to get Tournesol, but I ended up throwing in the towel after the first three hours of taking down Yazmat - it just wasn't worth it, though I'm as vulnerable to getting sucked into the grind as anyone.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #32
It's Yiazmat, and maybe you should level your three main characters up to 99. And start off the battle with a quickening chain from your other three.

--------------------

Infernal Flamming Muffin destroyed every single muffin. Then he disappered forever. So the muffin posts are gone. No more muffins!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #33
...or maybe you should just find better things to do with your time than level-grind to 99 - I did. "It's Yiazmat" - geez, it's like you wrote the game or something. :P
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #34
It's instinct that has me go towards completing games.

Also, when I fought the Undying...when he was using special attacks, I was thinking "Was that ridiculus move supposed to look cool?".

Also, some quickenings look dumb too.
For example, what is Basch punching at? (His 2nd quickening).

--------------------

Pages