LANgband

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: LANgband
Warrior
Member # 7745
Profile #0
Anyone feel like modding Angband to allow for LAN-play, please?

In my opinion, someone needs to make a rogue-like where you can craft items, harvest food, build boats, houses, etc.

Also make the experience system like Oblivion whereby using a skill gives you experience in that skill and so you can level up stealing for instance just by stealing instead of tedious dungeon-crawling.

The closest I've seen is UnReal World but that didn't have LAN-play and it isn't free :(
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
We get plenty of posts here about other RPGs. And we get plenty of posts where people ask if Jeff will ever make a MMORPG.

But I've never seen... well, you know where this is going. :P

Surely there have been MUDs around that did this for years if not decades?

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #2
There's also Mangband, for TCP/IP connections...
Warrior
Member # 7745
Profile #3
I thought Mangband was internet only, like a MMORPG. My apologies.

EDIT: MAngband doesn't work at all. There are very few servers and the few there are lag so much it's unplayable.

[ Monday, May 21, 2007 09:04: Message edited by: jamesmcm ]
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #4
One huge problem with this is that the amount of time you take between turns varies HUGELY in Angband. When you're running through a long dungeon corridor, you might pass 30 or 40 turns in a second. You might pass even faster when you're resting up to cast your 80% failure rate Identify spell another 10 times. But when you're in melee combat, a single turn will take more than a second even if you decide what to do instantaneously, just because of the quantity of messages you need to read and the one line display.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7745
Profile #5
You could just have it one turn a second, flat-rate so it'd be like real-time. Or allow the host to change the time speed in-game, but yeah it'd have to be real-time not completely turn-based.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #6
And at that point, although it could still be a roguelike -- there are roguelikes that operate that way -- it's clearly not Angband.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by jamesmcm:

I thought Mangband was internet only, like a MMORPG. My apologies.

EDIT: MAngband doesn't work at all. There are very few servers and the few there are lag so much it's unplayable.

While the 0.7.0 Windows server is listed as having "severe latency issues", have you tried running it yourself? Running your own server is what you'd want for a LAN game, after all.
Warrior
Member # 7745
Profile #8
I couldn't work out how to choose your own server and then decided to play DOOM-RL, it's pretty good in case you were wondering. Thinking about it you probably just have to add the IP address to one of the .ini's, I'll try it later.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by jamesmcm:

In my opinion, someone needs to make a rogue-like where you can craft items, harvest food, build boats, houses, etc.
Why do people keep singling out the tedious drudgery that MMORPGs put into games to keep you doing stuff long enough that you don't use up all the new content immediately, and demanding more of it?

[ Tuesday, May 22, 2007 08:12: Message edited by: Khoth ]

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Warrior
Member # 7745
Profile #10
Because it adds more variety to the hack'n'slash gameplay. But yes, i agree that there are better additions that could be made, such as a day/night engine and stealth engine, etc.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
Angband has both already.

—Alorael, who thinks you may want ToME. It's got multiplayer and it's oozing with features.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7745
Profile #12
ToMe didn't work for me. I mean i was 5 minutes through starting and it started to trip balls, like not letting me enter buildings, etc.