Crafting & Skills

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Crafting & Skills
Apprentice
Member # 8473
Profile #0
I've really just began to touch the surface of the Avernum and Geneforge series; trying each a little and liking them quite a bit. I am quite fond of tactical roleplaying and have enjoyed games like Fallout, Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, Wizard's Crown, Eternal Dagger, Goldbox Series, Magic Candle Series, Shard of Spring, etc...

I've also gotten into the huge fandom of crafting, be it just mining, logging, gathering, potion making, smithing, raising crops, animals, etc. Are there any plans in future series to include more skills (like bartering, mining, etc). I'd also love to be able to build my house, hire guards, earn income via a salary, etc.

On an entirely different note; (as I haven't gotten terribly far in any of the games) are there wandering creatures that will spawn in areas already travelled?

Which avernum grapics/engine is Blades based upon? Will there be a similar construction for Geneforge?

Great series of games that I plan on buying.

McDeath
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #1
There are monsters that respawn in an already traveled area (which?).

As for what you want, I have many doubts.

Edit -though there might be a new series eventually

[ Friday, April 13, 2007 10:23: Message edited by: Infernal Flamming Muffin ]

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.
Muffins n' Hell. Note that revisions of the first part is down the list.

quote:
Originaly by Alorael
Okay, he's not that bad!

Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #2
There was a barter skill in A3. It reduced the costs of items and increased the amount you could sell them for by a percentage. You can craft things in G3 and G4. Other than that, there isn't anything MMORPG-ish like you want. Sorry.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #3
quote:
Originaly by Nalyd
Sorry.
What?!? This must be a sign of the apocalyps!

Well, Jeff might make a new series, but it is highly unlikely.

--------------------

quote:
Originaly by Alorael
Okay, he's not that bad!

Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #4
What? Nalyd wants Jeff to have as many customers as possible. Thus, he can make better games, which brings more enjoyment to Nalyd. It's a clever luring technique. And still self-serving. :cool:

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #5
The unlikey part was meant for "soon".
He is now on Avernum 5 and Nethergate:Resurrection.

Edit -and yes, I too want this company to survive.
But when Jeff is unable to make games, who will take his place?

[ Friday, April 13, 2007 10:37: Message edited by: Infernal Flamming Muffin ]

--------------------

quote:
Originaly by Alorael
Okay, he's not that bad!

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
Wandering creatures outdoors will respawn, but nothing else does in Avernum or Geneforge. Exile has constantly restocked dungeons, although even they can eventually run out.

—Alorael, who thinks the Blades are fairly self-explanatory. Blades of Exile is almost identical, engine-wise, to Exile 3. Blades of Avernum is mostly like Avernum 3, although the spells were tweaked a bit and a few other changes were made. Jeff has said that Blades is too hard to make and brings in too little money for him to do it again for Geneforge, but he's eaten such words before.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #7
I think I will wait for Kel to make another scenario before bating any breath on another Blades game.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7638
Profile #8
quote:

I've also gotten into the huge fandom of crafting, be it just mining, logging, gathering, potion making, smithing, raising crops, animals, etc. Are there any plans in future series to include more skills (like bartering, mining, etc).
I think that's a dictionary definition of Runscape.

--------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-- Bill Gates, 1981

"But what ... is it good for?"
--Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.
Apprentice
Member # 8411
Profile #9
quote:
I've also gotten into the huge fandom of crafting, be it just mining, logging, gathering, potion making, smithing, raising crops, animals, etc. Are there any plans in future series to include more skills (like bartering, mining, etc). I'd also love to be able to build my house, hire guards, earn income via a salary, etc.

Try out UO ( Ultima Online ) lol. You might find it interesting, it has everything that you mentioned except hiring guards \ salary income.
Apprentice
Member # 8473
Profile #10
I'm NOT terribly fond of online games unless they are free. Combine that with a terribly slow PC and dialup connection and that really doesn't become an option. Can't help but be a dreamer. I believe trying to combine rpgs with wargames has been tried before. I'm just hopeful that someday some one will be able to combine all of what I've described in a game that can be offline with an additional construction set.

[ Sunday, April 15, 2007 11:44: Message edited by: McDeath ]