It's a Wonderful Life

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: It's a Wonderful Life
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #0
Warning: Long loading graphs

This is kind of cool. Play around with the x and y axes to get increaseing CO@ = longer life and Increasing CO2 = lower infant mortality rates.

Then, discuss

[ Wednesday, February 21, 2007 12:12: Message edited by: moonear ]

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #1
Yay my country is one of the first in america!!

The continent doesn't compare to Europe though...
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #2
These graphs are very informative. Where do they get their data?

It's interesting to see the movement even on the default life expectancy v. income graph. You can see steady growth in most European and some Asian countries, the turmoil in former USSR, etc.

On that note, what happened to Botswana and South Africa? They fell from being some of the most prosperous countries on the continent to having smallest life expectancy, but maintaining high income.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #3
America is going down the near future.
Russia shall be once again a superpower muhhhaahahaha!!!!!!

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

On that note, what happened to Botswana and South Africa? They fell from being some of the most prosperous countries on the continent to having smallest life expectancy, but maintaining high income.
A lot of it is HIV/AIDS. South Africa has severe economic inequality, a major AIDS problem, and an astonishingly high crime rate. Botswana has the second-highest HIV infection rate in the world.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #5
It appears that Luxembourg wins at everything. Not surprising, but meh.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Inequality. From what I hear, there are a few rich corrupt politicians sucking up all of the wealth and leaving the rest of the population dirt poor. Since money doesn't make you immortal, these bring up the average income, but have no impact on life expectancy, which is dominated by the starving populace.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
That's one reason that it can be useful to track the difference between mean and median for some statistics, particularly income. An increasing gap is a bad sign.

—Alorael, who also thinks it's telling that there are countries in which widespread death from AIDS doesn't noticeably affect income.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #8
Funny how as CO2 emissions go up, so does life expectancy. Of course, that's just because the countries with the highest CO2 emissions tend to be very developed, but still.

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #9
Yeah, seems to suggest economic pollution equals better standard of living. Maybe Gore has it all wrong.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #10
That's exactly why Malthus was wrong. You see, as human population (and the problems that come with it) go up, so does human ingenuity. I don't believe the world has a maximum number of people it can support, because we will always adapt.

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
Sooner or later we'll run out of space, and after that we'll run out of matter. But yes, that's a problem for another day.

What worries me is the fact that the number of people can keep increasing, but the amount of suffering never seems to decrease.

—Alorael, who thinks the world could probably comfortably support its current population if it were very carefully managed. It's more likely to uncomfortably support (or collapse under) around twice its current population in under a century.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by moonear:

Yeah, seems to suggest economic pollution equals better standard of living. Maybe Gore has it all wrong.
Correlation is not causation.

For the record, the population of Love Spring would tend to disagree. :P
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #13
Could i point out something economical and political:

America is loosing it's 1st grade as superpower.
Sorry dark mage it won't be the 1st one any longer.
Russia is sitting on all the oil.
Russians look as if they have enriched themselves and waiting until America's power is wourned out.

Someone said that russians wanted to go to Afghanistan to go to india because they would have access to a warm water port that dose not freeze.
Since that india is supported by the Americans and the English, russia couldn't interfere.
Then vietnam,irak and the middle easten wars came.
Russians are going to india if global warming dosen't turn out to be global dimming.

When i've read about global warming turning into global dimming that will cause an ice age i am concerned about the afghan role in this chess game.
Afghanistan will loose millions of lives because of this.
The hole world will.
Should we worry?
Is the world more dangerous?
Are we sitting on a time bomb?

[ Friday, February 23, 2007 10:42: Message edited by: upon mars ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .