I think i have the wrong game

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: I think i have the wrong game
Apprentice
Member # 8012
Profile #0
Hello all!!
I came here with a problem. I am looking for an old computer game...and it actually looked a lot like exile..
Only thing is...the game i am thinking of let you be more than just two races, and had many classes. Also the character portraits were a little better.
It was a long time ago, but i know it looked a lot like exile. If someone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.
Infiltrator
Member # 8
Profile #1
quote:
Originally written by animematt:

Hello all!!
I came here with a problem. I am looking for an old computer game...and it actually looked a lot like exile..
Only thing is...the game i am thinking of let you be more than just two races, and had many classes. Also the character portraits were a little better.
It was a long time ago, but i know it looked a lot like exile. If someone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

So it's like Exile but with better features?

That narrows it down!

--------------------
"Names is for tombstones, baby." -Mr. Big
Posts: 699 | Registered: Thursday, September 20 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
Er, Exile has often been compared to Realmz and Ultima, although I'm not sure that either one matches your description.

And this list may have something relevant, maybe.

[ Saturday, February 03, 2007 21:09: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 7796
Profile #3
I think you have the wrong forum.
Apprentice
Member # 8012
Profile #4
AH! it IS realmz! thank you so much! now i just gotta find wher eto get it
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
There are two distinctly odd things about this thread. One is that we have a person who knows about Spidweb games and about Realmz and is choosing to play Realmz.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 8012
Profile #6
well i played it many years ago as a child, i thought it was fun. More of a nostalgia thing i guess
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #7
Realmz used to look a bit better than some really old versions of Exile, if that's one's main judging criterion. I myself played Realmz on a friend's machine, years and years ago, who proclaimed Exile ugly and refused to play it for that reason. (Hey, I said he was a friend, not a genius.)

The burning question now is what the other reason is.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Kelandon:
There are two distinctly odd things about this thread. One is that we have a person who knows about Spidweb games and about Realmz and is choosing to play Realmz.
Agreed. Since I played Realmz before Exile, I almost didn't play Exile because I thought is was by the same people. Thank extreme boredom I ended up playing it anyway.

I think Exile is better simply because of the whole engine and whatnot, which is much credit to Jeff. The only things that Realmz does better are that is does indeed have more races and classes, as well as more items. Lots of items is something I look for in a good RPG. That's probably why Fallout is the best for me. "This is a Mr. Nixon doll. You don't trust it."

[ Saturday, February 03, 2007 21:37: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
Realmz was a lot better when it didn't pretend it was anything more than a computerised D&D ripoff. Everything up to version 4 or so was pretty playable (if somewhat buggy). The introduction of 3D dungeons was the beginning of the end.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #10
There were too many races. That became ridiculous very quickly. I do like huge piles of items, though. Especially boots. (I'm a woman, I like shoes.)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
Realmz has more races, but Exile/Avernum has more class customization since you have none at all.

—Alorael, who thinks Realmz is a game that had potential that was hopelessly squandered. Still, it produced Hax, which was worth playing for the talking log.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 8012
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by dareva:

There were too many races. That became ridiculous very quickly. I do like huge piles of items, though. Especially boots. (I'm a woman, I like shoes.)
A WOMAN? ON MY INTERNET!!!!?? =P
Thanks for the input guys. I like having a lot of choices what i make my characters, and realmz does have that. Exile, i have heard it is good, and i will try it out too.
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #13
Dude, I didn't know it was your internet. You can have it back when I'm done with it. :D

[ Saturday, February 03, 2007 22:34: Message edited by: dareva ]
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #14
Realmz had a number of problems, but (at least through version 4, as Thuryl said) it also did a number of things right. It had a very large spellbook (though a number of spells didn't work at all) and a great set of items with a nice management interface (later borrowed by the lamentably obscure Jewel of Arabia RPG).

Perhaps most importantly, it had a motley assortment of graphics (and sound effects) that were vibrant, bright, and generally fun to look at. They did a worse job of setting mood than the graphics in any of Jeff's games, but they were lively and attractive, something we haven't *really* seen outside of E3/BoE.

I remember a brief period of time when it seemed like every new program, banner, or DOCMaker readme had to involve BlackChancery. I used to wonder if Realmz was a cause or an effect of that fad.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
Well, Realmz itself admitted to borrowing the font from Theldrow, an earlier, more obscure and worse Mac RPG.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #16
Different font. I'm talking about the one that was used for almost every statistic display and button: here.

Theldrow (the font) I was actually quite fond of.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00