Downloading help

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Downloading help
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #0
I would like to host a compressed folder full of Worf the Cat comics on a website. Not image hosting, but a website where I can host a disk image/zipped file available for downloading. Ideas?

Note: file is about 240 megs, maybe more since I updated it.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #1
Finding a webhost that will support files that large is pretty unlikely. Even if you do, you'll most likely have to pay quite a lot for it.

[ Friday, January 26, 2007 10:51: Message edited by: Tyranicus. ]

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #2
By Tyran:
quote:
Finding a webhost that will support files that large is pretty unlikely. Even if you do, you'll most likely have to pay quite a lot for it.
(Waits for the inevitable.)

Seriously, Aran's already offered an *.ermarian.net site for you. Between no ads and simple FTP, what more do you want? Granted, you won't have the page templates that Freewebs offers, but your basic HTML editor should have templates.

--------------------
Elan: OK. I'll help you up, if you promise to surrender.
Nale: Fine! Whatever! Just be careful, my hands are still slippery with your blood!
Elan: You're not making me feel better about this decision.
(OotS #69)
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #3
Finding people willing to download a file that size might be even more fun. Why not cut it into chunks? That would certainly make it more palatable for everyone.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

By Tyran:
quote:

Seriously, Aran's already offered an *.ermarian.net site for you. Between no ads and simple FTP, what more do you want? Granted, you won't have the page templates that Freewebs offers, but your basic HTML editor should have templates.

Aran uses DreamHost, the same webhost I use, and they don't allow files that size.

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #5
Aah, I don't want to badger Aran, I already said I was interested. Whenever he's got time, he may be able to set up a *.ermarian.net site for me. I'm not going to bug him about it, because then I'll feel like a parasite.

And even the top comics collection is pretty big. I don't know the exact size, however.

[ Friday, January 26, 2007 14:01: Message edited by: Sarasaphilia ]

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus.:

quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

By Tyran:
quote:

Aran uses DreamHost, the same webhost I use, and they don't allow files that size.

They don't? Oh dearie me, I hope they don't find out about my PPP database dump of somewhat above 200 MB... o_O

In all seriousness, I've never seen any restrictions to that effect.

Nonetheless, I'd really, really suggest you split up the archive in some way - if only because a lot of people (myself included) don't have the time or patience to wait nearly an hour for a download if it's not really necessary (as in the case of an application). If you put a third of the images in "Archive-1", another third in "Archive-2" and so on, it'll be a lot easier to manage.

That said, I'll host them if you want. Just send me an email if you want an account. :)

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #7
Correction. DreamHost does allow files larger than that, but not over their webFTP. I knew I had seen a restriction somewhere...

[ Friday, January 26, 2007 16:28: Message edited by: Tyranicus. ]

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Spent Salmon:

Finding people willing to download a file that size might be even more fun.
It really depends on what people know of the file. They won't download it (unless they are a bit stupid) if they don't know what it is.

Other than that, you are quite right that nobody will want to download 240 megs worth of comics, unless they are an utter fan of you.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
Oh, I'd download 240 megs without blinking. But I'd prefer to download 5 files of 50 megs each - partly because that way I don't need to wait an hour to unzip it, partly because I don't need to spend the next three days reading (I'd just wait with the next download till I'm done with the current batch).

--

Also, it's easier to upload 50 megs. If you lose your connection for even a moment, you can have problems restarting the upload - this is less likely to happen with smaller files.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #10
I got an online email, so I'm going to have to send these in groups of two/three.

The total size is about 123 megs, for the top comics.

--------------------