Help Me With My Router

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Help Me With My Router
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #0
The dead firewall post caused me to consider that this tech-head heavy community might be an excellent place to get some basic advice...

...because I grow so weary of doing extensive online searches for consumer reviews/"what is the best X" type information.

A recent storm here seems to have damaged my SMC Barricade SMC 7004VBR router which I use both as a firewall and to create an ethernet network for my G4 Mac in order to connect my old HP laser printer. Either that, or my new cable modem feed doesn't like it, unlike my old DSL modem.

What I need is a new ethernet router which:

1) is cheap to get used on eBay or the like
2) Is simple and reliable, with only three or four ethernet out ports
3) has a built in hardware firewall
4) runs 100Mb ethernet cable connections
5) won't give my Comcast cable modem feeding it any weird trouble. I can't imagine a router that would (except a 10Mb one which this Barricade may be.) But what do I know about routers. Not much. This is why I consult the wizards present.

Any suggestions?

Thank ye advancedly.

-S-

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #1
Do you actually need a hardware firewall, or do you only want one out of paranoia? Software-based firewall should be just fine for you, and you can then get an ethernet hub for $10-15 that will do what you want. As to routers, i honestly don't know. The only reason I have a router is for my wireless network.

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
Wow. I saw this topic show up in the RSS feed (which doesn't show the author) and thought: "Damn, the spammer's at it again." :P

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

Wow. I saw this topic show up in the RSS feed (which doesn't show the author) and thought: "Damn, the spammer's at it again." :P
I saw it on the topic list and thought same thing. Then I saw Synergy's name on it. Think the bot's will ever get the idea to steal people's monikers as their username? Scary thought…

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #4
Newegg.com

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #5
quote:
Think the bot's will ever get the idea to steal people's monikers as their username? Scary thought…
Well, now they will. . .

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.