Hex - Editing

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Hex - Editing
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #0
Piracy

What constitutes a minor infraction for a member:

Requesting information about hex-editing.

Hex – editing does not permit any form of piracy of the games. They are also protected by secondary defenses anyway. (“You can’t use this item/portal/whatever until you register the game.”) Do we really need a ban on discussion of hex – editing when it does not permit piracy and it does serve legitimate purposes in creating utility programs and files?

Perhaps the moderators or Jeff should test if it does permit piracy, if it does not possibly it should be legalized? Even if it did permit piracy, it is the slowest method there can be, you have to manually alter the save file every time. Furthermore it doesn’t deal with the secondary defenses outlined above. Unless you are living in third – world poverty it is much easier just to pay the registration charge.

About the only thing you can really hex – edit is the save game file, the programs themselves are way too complicated.

At least one program is open source: the Blades of Avernum editor. The forums inform me that the Blades of Exile editor will soon be open source too. I see no reason for the prohibition in this case at least.

Games can be pirated by means far easier than hex – editing anyway.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #1
Even if this particular stipulation was removed, discussions about hex-editing would still be outside the CoC because:
quote:
The Code of Conduct:
What constitutes a major transgression for a member:
+ Discussion of illegal activities.
+ Requests for "cracks", pirated software, ways to pirate software, etc.

Hex-editing technically falls under both, because of the way it's used. Just because there's easier means doesn't make it a possibility. And if requesting hex-edit info is an infraction, I can only imagine what randomly throwing around information qualifies as. :eek:

That's all I'll say on this topic, because I enjoy being on these boards.

[ Friday, January 12, 2007 19:36: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #2
Neither Ishad Nha or Nioca is fully correct here.

Well, no. Nioca is just wrong. It's really dumb to ever use a hex editor on your save files for the purpose of bypassing the registration barrier and I honestly can't think of why anyone would ever do it.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #3
There are other places to play if you don't like the rules in this playground. Plus, the playground monitor is a bully that would just as soon push your face into the ground as listen to your whining.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
You will notice that the only person who has actually complained about your post in the other forum wasn't even a moderator.

Big secret: the mods here will give you a lot of leeway about discussion of h*x-*d*t*ng, as long as you don't actually say "h*x-*d*t*ng".

In all seriousness, I think part of what Jeff is worried about is that people will follow someone's instructions on how to h*x-*d*t their save files, neglect to make a backup, do it wrong, wreck their saved games and then come crying to him. So if you must discuss h*x-*d*t*ng, it's best to give few enough details that they don't even have enough information to try.

[ Saturday, January 13, 2007 05:41: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
The unofficial ruling on this is that you can talk about editing your save files if you want, but if you get anywhere near registration stuff, insta-ban.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #6
By “piracy” I mean using hex – editing to bypass the Spiderweb shareware barriers. As far as I know this is physically impossible to do with any of the Avernum games, there are just too many layers of protection built into the games. Even if it were possible it would just be too much hassle. It is clearly true for Blades of Exile and Exile 3.

I imagine the same is true for the Geneforge games, but I haven’t checked.

If you can't vaguely threaten the registration barriers with hex editing then it is no threat.

Likewise, if it is possible but you need Jeff's inside knowledge to do it, it is no threat.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #7
If talking about eating lava violated the CoC, would you complain about that as well?

And as always, if you have a suggestion or complaint about how these boards are managed, feel free to call 1-800-eat... No, actually just email Jeff, Drakefyre, or Stareye. I'm sure they would love to hear from you.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Imban:

It's really dumb to ever use a hex editor on your save files for the purpose of bypassing the registration barrier and I honestly can't think of why anyone would ever do it.
But who said people were smart?

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

quote:
Originally written by Imban:

It's really dumb to ever use a hex editor on your save files for the purpose of bypassing the registration barrier and I honestly can't think of why anyone would ever do it.
But who said people were smart?

I quote for truth.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge