Why Two Versions?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Why Two Versions?
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #0
I noticed that Geneforge 4 and the newest release of Avernum 4 have both the universal app and the PPC-native app in the installation. Why is this? The whole purpose of universal binaries is that the same app will run natively under both PPC and Intel, so why is Jeff wasting space with the PPC version?

[ Monday, December 04, 2006 19:25: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
So people with older Macs can delete the Universal version to save space? Beats me.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #2
If that were true, wouldn't it make more sense to have separate PPC and Intel versions and not bother with Universal at all?

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #3
During beta testing it was found that the new Universal app wouldn't open on older machines and operating systems. Jeff wanted to cater to the largest number of users so he could make the most money. So we have the older machine version and the new one that runs faster on the MACs that can run it.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #4
This is not that unusual. When the PPC chip first came out, there was a period of time when nearly everything came in 68k and PPC versions, and sometimes a "fat binary."

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00