Ghandi? You must be joking!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Ghandi? You must be joking!
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #25
I am a damnable dispicable anarchist.

Economic Left/Right: -5.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.85

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #26
Never really liked this poll. I think the many of the questions could be written in a much more neutral tone.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #27
quote:
Originally written by *i:

Never really liked this poll. I think the many of the questions could be written in a much more neutral tone.
There is really no need to be ashamed of your Thatcheresque score.

:P

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #28
Interesting:

Economic
-10.0 TM
-9.63 Aran
-9.13 Alec
-8.13 Slarty
-8.... Alorael
-7.50 Ephesos
-7.38 Imban
-7.13 Andraste
-6.38 Dikiyoba
-5.75 Tyranicus
-5.38 Nioca
-5.38 Vlish
-5.00 Drew
-5.00 Redstart
-4.38 Stew Boy
-4.38 Zeviz
-3.63 Drakey
-3.50 Magma
-3.00 Lenar
-2.88 Salmon
-2.63 Lazarus
-2.25 Randomizer
-0.75 Jewels
-0.75 Niemand
-0.25 Sullust
0...... AM
+2.38 Tullegolar
+6.25 Alberich

Social
-9.28 Aran
-9.03 Alec
-8.50 TM
-7.08 Andraste
-6.62 Slarty
-6.10 Tyranicus
-6.... Alorael
-5.64 Ephesos
-5.54 Drew
-4.77 Nioca
-4.56 Redstart
-3.90 Randomizer
-3.85 Vlish
-3.03 Drakey
-2.92 Dikiyoba
-2.87 Sullust
-2.82 Salmon
-2.56 Imban
-2.15 Magma
-1.74 Stew Boy
0...... Jewels
+0.41 Lenar
+0.46 Tullegolar
+0.62 Zeviz
+0.97 Lazarus
+1.03 Alberich
+1.28 Niemand
+8.00 AM

[ Thursday, November 02, 2006 06:55: Message edited by: Frosted Cryodrayks ]

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #29
Was omitting TM's score purposeful, or just because it is midnight?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #30
Here's my results:
Economic Left/Right: -4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.74

Is that good?
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #31
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00

I guess I really am a True Neutral.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #32
Economic Left/Right: -9.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.28

Wow.

Although I'll have to compare it with the last result again, I might have moved slightly back toward Neutral.

Still. Soon now I'll have to start saying things like HAHAHAHA, DIE, You suck, etc.

[ Thursday, November 02, 2006 06:30: Message edited by: Robert Daniel Oliver ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Warrior
Member # 7276
Profile #33
Well, I'll keep my hopes up that the developers will see the broad range of answers among the die-hard players, and not start sneaking current-events commentary into the games.

Now that I think of it, that's another thing I like about the "alien" feel of the Geneforge games and the ancient setting of Nethergate...because there is no temptation to see the game designer nudging you on modern politics.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #34
Wait. How is Geneforge not an obvious allegory to the ethics of cloning?

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #35
Yes, and clearly Exile speaks to the reunification of nations divided in the Cold War.

*facepalm*

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7276
Profile #36
Robert, because it isn't enough like real cloning or GE. And because the game isn't "nudging" you towards one view or another on the real thing. I am very glad to see that it isn't.

(I don't mean that thinking about the game world can't be thought-provoking on real-world topics, only that the designers aren't cheapening their game world with crude allegories.)
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #37
It would be interesting to plot these points over time and try to determine the "SpidWeb" Effect. Although saying this is the only factor is a blatant lie.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #38
That surprised me, but like *i said it was a bit extreme on some issues. now that is said, my score:
Economic Left/Right: 0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.38
:eek:

--------------------
"I knocked him out, but I managed to hit the reply button before he fell down."-The person behind him.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #39
quote:
Originally written by Alberich:

Robert, because it isn't enough like real cloning or GE. And because the game isn't "nudging" you towards one view or another on the real thing. I am very glad to see that it isn't.

(I don't mean that thinking about the game world can't be thought-provoking on real-world topics, only that the designers aren't cheapening their game world with crude allegories.)

So a work is only allegorical if it promotes a viewpoint?

Most of the best stories are multi-faceted enough to let you draw your own conclusions, and games with their open ends are even more so.

In fact, I believe open allegories are really the only ones worth reading or playing. If you want to know the opinion of the author, just ask, but if the author is going to explore the subject in an allegory, they should at least make an effort to portray it without contamination.

The rest are the "crude" allegories you refer to.

-----

As a side note, I'm not quite convinced Geneforge wasn't biased towards the Awakened. But that's a different point.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 7276
Profile #40
No, a story isn't allegorical if the thing in the story isn't enough like the thing it's said to represent, for you to be able to map the one onto the other.

A game in which you genetically modify adult humans to give them skills, and doing this often turns them into glowy blue sociopaths, has no relationship to real issues in cloning or GE. Nor are the Drayks, Drakons, and Serviles anything like anything we are likely to make - and the issues that people now have with cloning have nothing whatever to do with the issues that the Awakened and the Takers have with the Shapers. It's not that the topics have no relationship at all, but they don't have the "mapping" relationship you'd need for a true allegory.

The kind of allegory that I particularly object to - in a game like this, not in general - is the kind that tries to nudge you here or there on a current topic. On this point, I believe we agree.
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #41
-1.38, -3.54 (economic/social)

I agree with *I about the wording of the questions. It is important that my child's school instills religious values. What does that mean? If it was that the public schools instilled such values it would read differently. What if it read that the school instilled buddhist philosophy. Or, that I wanted exposure to critical thinking with respect to religion?

And how are these interpreted anyway? So, validating the score becomes a (big) question for me.

That being said, I believe I am more of an economic conservative than the poll does justice to. Socially, I am small liberal so I am not too offended there.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #42
quote:
Originally written by chasm of Sar:

I agree with *I about the wording of the questions. It is important that my child's school instills religious values. What does that mean? If it was that the public schools instilled such values it would read differently. What if it read that the school instilled buddhist philosophy.

Trading one dogma for another and calling it progress? How Devo of you.
quote:
Or, that I wanted exposure to critical thinking with respect to religion?
Religious values. Critical thinking with respect to religion isn't a 'religious value'.

quote:
And how are these interpreted anyway? So, validating the score becomes a (big) question for me.

That being said, I believe I am more of an economic conservative than the poll does justice to. Socially, I am small liberal so I am not too offended there.

I've always felt that PC is accurate enough that, where a man and his numbers disagree, the numbers are generally right. You might think you're an economic conservative, but the term is pretty broad and used very deceptively in the West. According to the test, your convictions put you a smidge to the left of the economic center. (If you're an American, that's a mainstream Dem position; if you're British, that puts you to the left of New Labour.) The issues of the day aside, that is where you will find the most ethically satisfying solutions for the economy.

Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #43
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally written by chasm of Sar:

I agree with *I about the wording of the questions. It is important that my child's school instills religious values. What does that mean? If it was that the public schools instilled such values it would read differently. What if it read that the school instilled buddhist philosophy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trading one dogma for another and calling it progress? How Devo of you.

quote:
Or, that I wanted exposure to critical thinking with respect to religion?

Religious values. Critical thinking with respect to religion isn't a 'religious value'.

For me, I read the question to mean that it was important that MY child have religious values instilled in him/her by the school that MY child attends. This is different than saying that schools in general should instill religious values into children in general. I also read the question to mean that the school instilled into MY child MY religious values - implying that I was sending MY child to a specific type of school.

So, I was questioning whether the question was getting at a personal value held by me and applied to my family or it was trying to look at the society that I wished to have around me. Validating the test would require looking at what individual questions were trying to achieve. Perhaps this question was set up well enough to achieve the graded purpose - perhaps not. One cannot tell. Quizzes in general bother me for that reason. They ask questions which I cannot later determine if the conclusion being drawn by the answer was that which I was trying to communicate.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."

Pages