Protection Money.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Protection Money.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #0
Firstly, an introduction. By now many have noticed that I've posted several ballot measures that are happening here in Oregon. Hopefully they will provide for good discussion amongst members, and will assist in learning the democratic process. There are a total of 10 ballot initiatives in 2006, some will be paired together because they are are an all or nothing deal. I hope the moderators and admins also see the value in these types of discussions, despite the marginally tangential connection to Spiderweb. I know there are also other initiatives in other states that are quite controversial, but I lack specifics and would encourage others to post similar polls to help educate. The reason I picked the poll is because I want to see how closely the Spiderweb community matches the actual vote in Oregon. Thanks for helping me out.

----Ballot Measure 42----

Simply enough, this would introduce language to the Oregon Revised Statutes which would prohibit insurance companies or their agents from using credit scores or credit worthiness when establishing a rate or premium for medical, health, accident, automobile, fire, or liability insurance. It will not be retroactive, only applying to policies formed after the ballot measure becomes law. Bill Sizemore sponsored the bill.

Arguments in FavorBill Sizemore *4Loren ParksArguments in OppositionJohn PowellRichard KingsleyEd Chun, Farmers Insurance AgentRonn Passmore, Rhodes-Warren Insurance IncKelsey Wood, Gordon Wood InsuranceClark Sitzes, Professional Insurance Agents of Oregon/IdahoPat McCormick, Oregonians against Insurance Rate IncreasesJ Wilson, NFIB-Oregon x 2Terry Witt, Oregonians for Food and ShelterCraig Honeyman, Associated General Contractors, OregonBill Perry, Oregon Restaurant AssociationJim Geisinger, Associated Oregon LoggersMark Nelson, Oregon Metals Industry CouncilRuss Walker, Oregon FreedomWorks ps- this name looks familiar...Richard Butrick, Associated Oregon IndustriesJohn Munro, Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of OregonSo, please discuss (and vote).
Edit - You mean this?
quote:
Tried to open zero-sized topic 003813 in forum 1. at CGIPath/ubb_lib_files.cgi line 777.
Or that I edited this post twice, first time with no effect?

[ Sunday, October 22, 2006 20:45: Message edited by: Spookee Salmon ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 10 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=IZKuaXeWLvOm"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=IZKuaXeWLvOm"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
Hey, first vote!

Yeah, I voted yes. Poverty in this country doesn't need to be any more extreme than it already it.

(Anybody else catch that instant of board maintenance?)

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #2
The point of insurance companies is to charge people [slightly more than] an average person like that is expected to cost them. The more information they have, the better formulas they can develop. If people with bad credit history are more likely to crash their cars, they should have higher car insurance. If they aren't, but are being charged more, that's a matter for state insurance comissioner, rather than ballot measure.

PS I doubt poverty has anything to do with credit rating. People who are used to counting every penny are probably less likely to overload their credit cards.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

The point of insurance companies is to charge people [slightly more than] an average person like that is expected to cost them. The more information they have, the better formulas they can develop.
On the other hand, if insurance companies could predict with perfect accuracy who would make a claim and who wouldn't, then there'd be no point in anyone buying insurance at all.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #4
Abstain.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #5
Abstain. I'm having enough trouble sorting through the Michigan and general US political garbage, I don't need to worry about Oregon politics as well.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Ghouloca:

Abstain. I'm having enough trouble sorting through the Michigan and general US political garbage, I don't need to worry about Oregon politics as well.
Hypocritically, I say that you need to be aware of the activities in other states so that you know what will be happening in Michigan in the future. While that answer is likely snow, it is good to be aware. I say hypocritical because I have no clue what is happening in any state, never mind Oregon.

:P

--------------------
quote:

Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #7
I'm not sure of either the logic behind this measure or the implications of it. Why would it make sense for insurance companies to use credit rating as a reason to impose a higher premium? Would that get them more money in the long run?

It seems like this is just an arbitrary restriction on how large firms can conduct business. Which I'm all in favor of, generally. It just seems really random.

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #8
Currently there are restrictions, but no ban, in Oregon on the usage of credit scores by insurance agents/brokers. I'm not sure anyone, other than Bill Sizemore, understands the ramifications of this measure.

--------------------
quote: