Centrino duo?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Centrino duo?
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #0
Despite the endless hype I see, I can't seem to find anywhere where some one just spits it out exactly what it is. Is it just having two processors in your computer instead of one?

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #1
Well, first off, there is no suc thing as a Centrino Duo. Centrino refers to the combination of an Intel wireless card, and Intel chipset, and an Intel CPU designed to work together with maximum efficiency in both performance and energy use in many modern laptops. Intel has realized that many consumers don't know what a CPU or a chipset is, so they just slap a Centrino or Centrino Duo sticker on the laptop. :P

Now, the Duo refers to the fact that it has a dual-core processor, which means that inside one CPU, there are actually 2 processing cores, effectively giving you two CPUs in one. So, basically, yes, it is just having two processors in your computer instead of one.

[ Friday, October 20, 2006 07:59: Message edited by: Tyranicus. ]

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
Wikipedia is your friend.

—Alorael, who firmly believes in creatvitiy in hyperlinking. Why choose a noun when you could choose a linking verb?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
A big advantage, if you use Macs, is that you can run Parallel Desktop.
Is this true?

EDIT: Thank you, Tyran.

[ Friday, October 20, 2006 09:32: Message edited by: Guardian Magma ]

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Teuz:

quote:
A big advantage, if you use Macs, is that you can run Parallel Desktop.
Is this true?

Parallels will run better on a dual core system, this is true, but it will run acceptably on any fast CPU. Intel's dual-core chips support virtualization on a hardware layer, so resources are directly assigned to the virtual OS, instead of being threaded through the host OS. This accounts for a significant sped increase, but as I said, fast single-core chips will work as too, but not quite as well.

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #5
My computer has Dual Core, but I don't think that there is much of a speed increase. I guess that things are running faster than they would normaly, but now having a Dual Core just seems like bragging rights.
Are there any more benifits to having a Dual Core Mac? Or PC?

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #6
You really won't notice much of a performance increase unless you do something processor-intensive such as video editing.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #7
I think that rather than stopping at 2 processors, they should add a few more things and let us run Windows and whatever it is Macs have on the same machine.

[ Friday, October 20, 2006 09:54: Message edited by: Archmage Alex ]

--------------------
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #8
They do :P

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
You don't even need two processors to do it.

—Alorael, who is still waiting for Apple to make Boot Camp simultaneous instead of either/or. And for Macs to shine shoes, because that would be neat.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #10
The most proccessor intensive thing I do is play Oblivion. But I've only played it once and don't plan on playing very much more.
Oh well. I still have bragging rights.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus.:

They do :P
Boot Camp or similar is not exactly what I meant. From what I'm gathering about the dual core business is that 2 processors would essentially allow you to run twice as much stuff, almost as though you were operating 2 computers at the same time on the same machine. What I was more talking about was adding a few more components so that you had the hardware to fully run both OSs at the same time on the same machine. More or less as though you had a Mac and PC plugged into a single monitor, so that you could use both at once.

--------------------
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #12
You can do that with Parallels.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
Parallels doesn't do it completely or perfectly. I think it's because there's more hardware to be shared than the processors, but I could be wrong.

—Alorael, who really, really wants to get an Intel Mac now. Maybe he's mentioned this before.