IPB vs. phpBB

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: IPB vs. phpBB
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #0
To all the multi-forumers out there:

In the next month, I'll be setting up a forum, probably on forumer.com (non-Spid). Personally, I couldn't care less whether it would be phpBB or Invision. But since the majority of the people going on these forums would be complete newbies, I was wondering what type people found more user-friendly. Also, I'd like to know what it's like on the admin side (Polaris is IPB, right?), and what performs better.

Thanks muchly.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
I will decree that all hay be shipped in tightly-packed bales. Any wagonload of loose hay attempting to pass through a checkpoint will be set on fire.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

I will decree that all hay be shipped in tightly-packed bales. Any wagonload of loose hay attempting to pass through a checkpoint will be set on fire.

Give the guards something to do and issue them pitchforks to poke the loose hay. It cuts down on out of control fires when the horses pulling the wagons get spooked.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
But at the critical moment, something will distract the guard and they will forget to poke one specific corner of the hay. Murphy's and the law of protagonists predict that the entire cast of heroes has managed to cram into that corner.

--

Polaris runs IPB. IPB is an extremely good BBS, and it outperforms phpBB in pretty much every category. It is also 70$. phpBB is free, and it is good as well.

I've also heard good things about SMF and punBB (both free). vBulletin is powerful but expensive. I shouldn't judge UBB by its stone-age version, but it doesn't seem to be any good. Lastly, if you want to drive a rusty nail through your eyes but don't have one handy, use ezboard.

Finally, if you are looking for a forum system, this page is your friend.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #3
phpBB is okay and has a reasonably friendly admin control panel.

UBB has the most user-friendly admin panel I've ever used.

punBB seems to be worth checking out - I think Desp runs it.

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
"Unless by the force of eloquence they mean the force of truth; for if such is their meaning, I admit that I am eloquent." -- Socrates
Posts: 126 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
UBB has the most user-friendly admin panel I've ever used.
Given that you must mean this version of UBB, I wonder how a board that can best be compared to a road accident can have an admin panel that good. Instable? Check. Slow, unreliable search? Check. Eats posts and topics? Check.

Was the only competent coder assigned to the admin interface? :P

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
Good design and good programming seldom go hand in hand. UBB would be really great if it didn't suck so badly.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #6
UBB also has the prettiest boards :P

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
"Unless by the force of eloquence they mean the force of truth; for if such is their meaning, I admit that I am eloquent." -- Socrates
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
Well, at least it's pretty. I suppose that makes up for everything else. :P

--------------------
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #8
It does in my book!

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #9
Try invisionfree.com I don't know what the type is called :P but Invision has a easy and fun administrator panel to use and an fun layout. But changing the skin can be a problem, because you have to find a skin on the Net and then install it somehow...

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
CSM RIFQ
Neopets Do join, it's fun. Do you know what is the answer to the greatest question ever? It's here.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #10
By Randomizer:
quote:
Give the guards something to do and issue them pitchforks to poke the loose hay. It cuts down on out of control fires when the horses pulling the wagons get spooked.
I have a sudden urge to watch The Great Escape again.

Forumer offers both phpBB and IPB free, if that's what you mean. I'd have done the comparison on Forumer itself, but the links to the phpBB features and to why Forumer recommends phpBB are broken.

Didn't mention it before, but I'm looking for free services. Not going to set up a domain name, either.

--------------------
I will relegate the task of spearing loose hay with pitchforks to the lowest rank of my Legions of Terror, instead of wasting my Kommandant's time.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
If both are free: Between IPB and phpBB, choose IPB. IPB's biggest drawback compared to phpBB is its high cost.

Be sure to verify that the versions they use are up to date, however - compare to the sites at http://www.phpbb.com and http://www.invisionpower.com .

Early versions of phpBB are infamous for their state-of-the-art security holes, and an exploit was recently found for old versions of IPB that shut Polaris down for several weeks while we were waiting for the upgrade.

[ Wednesday, August 23, 2006 20:55: Message edited by: Drow ]

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #12
Aran - Have you had any important issues with IPB? I'm in the market and am curious how easy it was to set up, and how simple it is to manage.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #13
I haven't set it up myself (Logalot did that) but the administration interface is smooth and powerful.

One thing I haven't yet seen anywhere else is the occasional AJAX functionality that allows many changes to be made without leaving the page - you can edit a post directly in the topic without loading a form; you can edit the topic title or lock the topic in the forum view; you can even post a topic that opens and closes at a specific time.

Another nice part is the support for custom bb code. For example, you can make [wiki]Article[/wiki] display a Wikipedia link.

As for the admin panel itself, the biggest drawback is that the organization isn't intuitive. The sections are "Management", "Look & Feel", "Tools & Settings" and "Administration". While Look & Feel obviously covers skins and emoticons, it isn't always clear where you'll find a setting in one of the other three. Once you get used to it, however, it's the single best panel I've ever seen in my life.

(Of course, I haven't seen UBB. But then, Drakey hasn't seen IPB. :P )

I actually have to think hard to remember any trouble I've had with the new version. o_O

[ Wednesday, August 23, 2006 22:02: Message edited by: Drow ]

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #14
I think it would be best then for me to see both admin panels... :eek:

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #15
I've never seen UBB but IPB is easy to use and doesn't take hours to set up.

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
CSM RIFQ
Neopets Do join, it's fun. Do you know what is the answer to the greatest question ever? It's here.
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #16
I've seen IPB, but I still prefer UBB (even this old version). Too bad UBB is gone now. :(

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by the Great Potato:

I've seen IPB, but I still prefer UBB (even this old version). Too bad UBB is gone now. :(
It is? Last I checked they were still selling, and at quite amusing prices... ^_^

--------------------
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #18
UBB classic is gone. UBB.threads is still here, as is eve.

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
Apprentice
Member # 7246
Profile Homepage #19
I have been running a number of web-servers for about 10 years. At present we have about 1.5M hits p. day and there are quite a few forums running on our servers. My obsevations:

phpBB: I do not think that it is running on any of our servers, but I have noticed that on other sites running this forum, the performance drops dramatically when a lot of users are logged on. I can only assume that it uses a lot of rescources.

UltimateBB: This is what is used here. I have one instance of this which takes about 50% of the resources on the box on which it is running. However: This is a big forum with a few thousand active users; the webmaster is using an old (rather pimitive) CGI-version in Perl with a selfmade file based database and there is apparently a newer PHP version which uses MySQL.

punBB: This is the one I always recommend: it is small, simple, fast, easy to administer and does everything I expect from a forum.

--------------------
My Avernum Walkthroughs
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Catweasle:

I have been running a number of web-servers for about 10 years. At present we have about 1.5M hits p. day and there are quite a few forums running on our servers.
Does that mean you're in the paid hosting business?

Edit: Or, quite possibly, administrating the university servers - your own site is hosted there, after all. :P

[ Thursday, August 24, 2006 21:58: Message edited by: Drow ]

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 7246
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Or, quite possibly, administrating the university servers - your own site is hosted there, after all.
You are quite right here. I am something like a provider, but only for members of the university.

--------------------
My Avernum Walkthroughs
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #22
Ah. Well, I recently helped develop a web form where faculties and students can request webspace on our university's servers. :) (Unfortunately, it's based on an inherited system originally written by someone whose experience with the language was apparently limited to the book "PHP for Dummies". So it still sucks.)

[ Friday, August 25, 2006 11:40: Message edited by: Drow ]

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #23
Forumer's IPB is a little old: version 1.3. Recent enough? The link for phpBB's version is broken.

--------------------
I will hire a drama coach. The hero will think it must be a case of mistaken identity when confronted by my Minnesota accent (if everyone sounds American) or my Cornwall accent (if everyone sounds British).
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #24
1.3? It's a miracle they still own their servers.

quote:

ef, on Polaris:

Invision Powerboard software up to version 2.1.6 has a weakness that can be (and is being) exploited to execute malicious code, thus compromising vulnerable installations.

Version 2.1.6 closes that door.

The only existing cure is a software update to that version.

quote from forums/invisionpower.com:

"It has come to our attention that Invision Power Board 2.0.x and Invision Power Board 2.1.x contains two areas where malicious code could be executed. One area requires moderator access and other other requires a carefully crafted POST or GET request. Even though we've not been successful in expoiting IPB 2.1.6 using these methods in our own trials, we felt it best to strengthen security in these areas."

Older software versions contain these weaknesses too.
The attack on Polaris wasn't isolated either - forum.circuitcity.com got hacked as well, and so did numerous other IPB boards.

--------------------