Linux anybody?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Linux anybody?
Apprentice
Member # 7406
Profile #0
Hey all this is my first post so be kind.

Anyway this mainly goes out to the SpiderWeb devs.

What are you thoughts on a Linux port. I see that Exile 3 got ported and I think that is great but I would really like to see some Avernum and Geneforge on my nix box. I tried nethack and other rehashes of the same thing but they are nothing compared to Avernum. I want to get back to the underworld :D

I have tried running Avernum 4 under Cedega (Windows game emulation app) and it kind of works. Everything seems ok but the interface is painfully slow at times. I really think this is the kind of game that people in the Linux comunity would like.

Sorry I am rambling. So to sum things up what do you think about a Linux port for maybe the next batch of games or the one after that? Also if there are any other Linux users out there that want to back me up then thats good too ;)

Ironfistchamp
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #1
I have it on good authority Exile 3 runs a lot better in WinE than it does in the port. Same ought to go for the other games.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #2
There is a reason one can boot multiple OSes on the same machine. I use Linux fairly requently, but when I want to play a game, I always boot into Windows.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Apprentice
Member # 7406
Profile #3
To the Exile 3 port comment that is a shame that it works better in Wine. Doesn't help my cause that really ;)

For dual booting I don't really want to. I really don't like Windows as an OS and would really like to be able to play my games in the OS of my choice.

Avernum won't run in Wine currently. I suppose it relys heavily on DirectX which would make the devs not want to try porting.

Hopefully someone shares my views. If I had the skills I would offer them but I am afraid I don't.

Ironfistchamp
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #4
I found the Exile III port worked beautifully under Redhat 6.2 but was dreadful under all later linux distros.

As Tyranicus says, dual boot is the way to go.

Edit: Tyro changed his pdn!

[ Sunday, August 27, 2006 13:33: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Apprentice
Member # 7246
Profile Homepage #5
I agree with ironfirstchamp: it would be nice to have more Linux/Unix ports. I mostly use Unix (Solaris) but we are going over to OES (SuSE) for our servers. I also have Windows because about 95% of our users have it, so I must know what they are talking about when someone phones me to say that his "internet" is not working. (He usually means that he has lost his Samba connection to my server so that he cannot edit his pages.)

I would actually go further than ironfirstchamp and say that it would be nice if we could have more good Windows ports! Avernum 1 has an annoying bug in the navigation and Avernum 4 has two:

It only works for the administartorIt uses its own keybord decoder and ignores the keybord coding. (e.g. my German kezbord is wrong [z=y]).See:

--------------------
My Avernum Walkthroughs
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
It may prove a good idea to send Jeff an email about this. That way you are sure he gets to see it. However, I doubt he will agree and make the ports (he may agree of course, but money-wise, it probably wouldn't make a lot of cash, and therefor not really worthwhile).

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
I've used Wine once before (working with Knoppix for a week when my NT desktop went down), and it didn't look that grand but it could run ADOM without any problem (then again, ADOM isn't demanding in its system requirements).

So, does anyone know how well SW games work with Wine? Alec said that "Exile 3 runs a lot better in WinE than it does in the port", but does that imply it runs well in WinE, or that the Linux port is atrocious?

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Apprentice
Member # 7406
Profile #8
I will test the other Avernum games in Wine and Cedega to see what happens. I am sure that if the source was available then someone would jump at the chance to port it. I understand thats not going to happen but hey I can dream can't I? ;)
Warrior
Member # 5966
Profile Homepage #9
Ah yes, Linux ports would be nice. Seeing as I don't want to have anything to do with the Windows OS. Don't like it. Long story there, but back to the topic at hand.
So yes, I would enjoy seeing a Linux port of Avernum or Geneforge. Emulation seems to be the only option right now...

-- DL
(And yes, I have returned for those of you who didn't know I went missing.)
Apprentice
Member # 7406
Profile #10
Wow I am glad that there are some people who agree with me. A rare occurance I assure you :eek: