School

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: School
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #50
You mean, as opposed to a B.A. with some major other than English? The B.A. is what counts; In many cases the major will be unimportant.

--------------------
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #51
Of course it depends on the skill. In many professions, it's rare that you need a specific degree to get certain jobs, often others will suffice.

For instance, in most science and technology careers, virtually any physical science degree will suffice. Same goes with much in the biological sciences. Getting admitted to medical/law school (typically a graduate level program) only needs a relevant degree. Business related degrees are similar, so long as you have one, you can probably get a job in a semi-related field.

An english degree would be helpful for being a professional editor or some other vocal training career. It is, however, by no means required, just having a degree related to the career is.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #52
A B.A. in English or most liberal arts programs will qualify you for exciting work in the fast food industry making whatever they serve. Actually I had a friend with a B.S. in chemistry that wound up doing that because of a recession. He found that he couldn't get some jobs because he spoke English as his first language. Another friend got a job by pretending that he had only finished high school because the boss felt that college guys weren't competent for his company's work.

For graduate school you need a relevant degree, good grades, and good test scores.

For the real world it comes down to experience. What jobs you've held before and what you did in school that they can use (computer skills, lab experience, machine shop, etc). The less they have to train you, then the more willing they are to hire you. Unless you want to teach at less than college level where almost all schools require an education degree. My astronomy professor griped that he could teach college students, but required special permission to teach high school.

[ Sunday, August 20, 2006 21:11: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #53
wz. As said:
quote:
That's all well and good, but what happens if/when you realize you can't make it as a writer and you suddenly need that degree you never got in order to get a good job?
I won't need a degree, as other people have said, to get a good job. I've already sold an adaptation of "Faust" (which is a very cliched thing to do, by the way), and my friend works for a production company who are interested in other pieces I'm writing/have written.

And, if all that does fall through, I have the A Levels to either get into a good job, or go to university later.

SoT Said:

quote:
Hunger is not inspirational. And life as an English major still leaves plenty of time to write your own stuff.

And give yourself some credit. Nothing's going to screw up your own style if you don't let it.

That's quite possibly the most intelligent thing anybody has said to me about my future. Thanks. And you make a good point. But I won't be starving on the streets of London in a few years time. I'm working at the minute, whilst not writing, and whilst it isn't the trillion-pound salary everybody wants, it's enough to feed me and shelter me. I'm hoplessly devoted to my writing, but I'm not stupid enough to end up on the street with just a pen and a pad of paper. However good that sounds! :P

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...

Pages