Fixing the game AI so the monsters are really harder on torment

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Fixing the game AI so the monsters are really harder on torment
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #0
The game AI needs to be different for torment mode. Just increasing the monster's health and to hit ability isn't enough. If you use Delicious Vlish's tactics of sneaking up, daze, slaughter, repeat - then the monsters rarely get to attack. At worst you have to reload and be more careful. Daze is more powerful in A4 and GF3 where it affects multiple creatures so the balance has shifted to the player.

Some changes need to be done to how monsters attack. For instance monsters with only melee attacks need to be able to retreat around corners like players do to avoid ranged attacks. They also used to be able to open and close doors (although in A4 some monsters like Nodicuas fired spells through them). Right now if the player retreats, the monster uses up his AP running up to get slaughtered. Acid spray a monster and it will run up to die at your feet so you can collect the treasure without moving.

In A1 monsters could pick up items and use them. Nothing irritates a player more than seeing the healing potions being drunk by a monster that the player could use. Knowing that those wands and scrolls will be used by intelligent monsters will force players to rush in a nail them first.

The return of randomly generated monsters appearing to repopulate an area that hasn't been fully cleared. You can't assume that you have gotten them all. Or just have monsters start moving towards an area under attack instead of staying in their original areas.

Any other useful ideas? They probably won't make GF4, but maybe A5 it they are easy to implement. I want torment to mean something.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #1
Torment level humanoids could be given sticks?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #2
Personally, I like Torment how it is, so I don't agree.

But about creating a new level of difficult (Nightmare), that would be better, IMHO.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #3
In Geneforge, monsters cannot use items because they have no inventories. You can script in effects, but the monsters will still drop whatever they were set to drop.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty