A real poll

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A real poll
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #25
Originally by VCH (to Slartucker):

quote:
^^ Your PDN is quite long and very annoying. Please choose a more suitable one. Thank you.
All it needs is a space. And there are people with spaces in their names.

Dikiyoba.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #26
I thought about incorporating a name with a space. Unfortunately, that would require removing multiple people from my conglomeration, as I am already at the UBB PDN character limit.

Don't worry, this one won't last forever. But I am more amused than anything else at its interaction with UBB layout.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #27
This isn't a language like Esperanto because it isn't a language. As you may notice, it is spoken exactly like English and syntactically identical to English. The only change is in spelling in order to make it more phonetic. Except the phonetics are based on transliterations of inapplicable letters from another alphabet.

Really, we might as well start writing (and speaking) EuroEnglish. At least it has closer linguistic ties to English.

—Alorael, who cannot bear to inflict harm upon the tongue that has played an integral role in the works of Shakespeare and Milton, two Eliots and a few others. On the other hand, it's also given us the majority of the lamentable prose and poetry on the internet. lol indede
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #28
Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the GREATEST TOPIC EXEMPLIFYING SPIDWEB EVER! By post #6, language was brought in, and has remained the subject ever since.

--------------------
Fluent in English, fluent only in English, and proud of it!
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #29
Dinti:
quote:
Fluent in English, fluent only in English, and proud of it!

Hoorah

For me, "in English, only in English, and not even good enough to be proud of it"

Also, Prophet, what exactly is a foriegner , is that an obscure Valish term? Perhaps Klingon? :confused:

[ Wednesday, May 10, 2006 18:46: Message edited by: Molybdenum ]

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #30
Originally by Dintiradan:

quote:
Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the GREATEST TOPIC EXEMPLIFYING SPIDWEB EVER! By post #6, language was brought in, and has remained the subject ever since.
Dikiyoba disagrees. About both parts of that statement.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by Delete Immediately:

Really, we might as well start writing (and speaking) EuroEnglish. At least it has closer linguistic ties to English.

—Alorael, who cannot bear to inflict harm upon the tongue that has played an integral role in the works of Shakespeare and Milton, two Eliots and a few others. On the other hand, it's also given us the majority of the lamentable prose and poetry on the internet. lol indede

While "EuroEnglish" might be going a little far, English is long overdue for a spelling reform. There is no reason to spell words the way they sounded several hundred years ago, while pronouncing them completely differently.

As for the "language of Shakespeare" argument, the language of Pushkin and Tolstoi is much better off after a spelling reform in early XXth century. If we admire classics so much, we should go all the way back to the language of Chauser and start writing the way he did, while continuing to speak modern English. :)

[ Wednesday, May 10, 2006 21:19: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Warrior
Member # 7021
Profile #32
quote:

Originaly by Delete Immediately
Since Valish is based on English, I'm unimpressed.
Unfortunatly you have looked up the wrong language my friend. That "Valish" IS NOT the Valish I am speaking of!
For exsample the Valish you found translates the phrase: View this page in Valish as: Biou dis peitz in Valish

In REAL Valish it would be: Veric ak cil tab web fi Valhim.

--------------------
"My Mazaradi goes 185
They Took my License
Now I don’t drive
But I got me a limo
And I sit in the back
Lock all the doors
In case I’m attacked.”
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #33
Fee fi fo fum, I smell the blood of -- a troll.

The only other google result for "Valish language" is this one, a fantasy language which, if it has actually been conlanged at all, has not been published on the web.

You are the weakest link. Goodbye!

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7021
Profile #34
The history of the Vals:
There seems to be some confusion as aperently there are multipule langages called "Valish" So I wish to clear up some confusions.
No Valish is not a nationality it IS and Ethnicity. Two actually. I am Ethnicaly European Valish. The other Valsh ethnicity is in India. There is also a made up language called Valish that is some where on the internet.
Because I am of the European Vals I will now discuss their history.
The exact roots of the Valish culture are unknown, but our language is a mix of Germanic Latin and oddly some Arab liniage. The Vlish ethnicity is said to have come from a French/Dutch/German heritages and probally started on the boarder of France and Germany. Latter the Vals somehow ended up in the Netherlands. The language changed dramatically and then political and linguistic shifts in the Valish community fragmented it. Now Valish communities are spread throughout the world the largest of which are in America as many Vals imigarted to America. I am ethnically Valish and have called many Valish communities home I now reside in Vacclan a Valish community in Oregon, USA. We govern independantly and try not to upset the US government to avoid future problems. So we are kind of an indian tribe situation. Dispite living in America, Valish is my native tonuge and I've usedit aLL MY LIFE.

--------------------
"My Mazaradi goes 185
They Took my License
Now I don’t drive
But I got me a limo
And I sit in the back
Lock all the doors
In case I’m attacked.”
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
Originally written by Prophet of Trump:

The history of the Vals:
Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service?
quote:
The Vlish ethnicity
The truth (and the tentacles) comes out!

Seriously, though, on the theory that, if something isn't on Google or Wikipedia, it doesn't exist, you don't exist.

I can't find any evidence of such a thing as "Vacclan," although Verboort, OR, does exist (it's just west of Portland). The place has just a Dutch name, though. And the town is best known (on Google) for a sausage festival. Take that as you will.

[ Thursday, May 11, 2006 09:10: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BANNED
Member # 2064
Profile #36
Swordfighting is for homosexuals.

--------------------
I am an idiot.

Pages