US and Sudan

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: US and Sudan
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #25
quote:
Originally written by radix malorum est cupiditas:

quote:
Originally written by $ v. #:

Um, a country that is fighting with its neighbors is not the same situation as a fistfight. AT ALL.
Please explain this to me. I'm having difficulty understanding what you're saying here.

He's saying that your metaphor sucks.

quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

quote:
Originally written by I Would Have Been Your Daddy:

I mean the countries and their leaders. The muslim theocracies you refrenced. They're not about to declare war.
lol
In case you were not aware, most of them are officially at war with Israel already. And had been at war with Israel since 1948. Egypt and Jordan are the only two Arab countries that signed peace with Israel and Egyptian president who did this was assasinated when he returned home.

So I guess you are technically correct: they can't declare war on Israel, because that's kind of hard to do when you are already at war.

Well, there's still no especially pressing issue which would make them move to attack Israel.

I also don't know why Israel as a state is still allowed to exist.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #26
So, I asked you to convince me as to why, when you are surrounded, your only options are to "react" or to die. You made that comment in regards to Israel. You responded to my question by saying "I guess you've never been in a real fight before," comparing the situation around Israel to "a real fight" which I assumed referred to a personal brawl. I don't think the two situations are particularly analogous.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #27
quote:
Originally written by Lord Torso:

I don't know why you as a person are still allowed to exist.
quote:

So, I asked you to convince me as to why, when you are surrounded, your only options are to "react" or to die. You made that comment in regards to Israel. You responded to my question by saying "I guess you've never been in a real fight before," comparing the situation around Israel to "a real fight" which I assumed referred to a personal brawl. I don't think the two situations are particularly analogous.
Because this isn't some political enemy working with political motives. This has the same backing and force as a fistfight on a gigantic scale. That make them analogous.

[ Monday, May 01, 2006 14:08: Message edited by: radix malorum est cupiditas ]

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #28
quote:

Well, there's still no especially pressing issue which would make them move to attack Israel.

I find the contradiction between first and second sentence quite amuzing.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #29
Guys, tone it down. Unlike the Middle East, we have moderators who can lock wars and prevent people from flamebombing each other. Let's not get this thread locked.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #30
quote:

What I'm arguing against is that doing anything else results in instant loss. Israel's lasted for quite a while, and it's not going under overnight.
What are you talking about. It nearly has. Yom Kippur war, six day war, etc.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #31
quote:

quote:

I find it amusing that you think there is a contradiction. Israel should not exist in the state it is now, but that's no reason to remove the government by force or indeed to even remove the government.

And ad hominenm attacks aren't the best way to solve disputes. Inciting them, yes, but that's really not what anyone wants. Right?

[ Monday, May 01, 2006 14:27: Message edited by: Lord Torso ]

--------------------
quote:

Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #32
quote:

"Surrounded" should have been replaced by "under siege" in Infernal's statement.

Basically, here is what things look like to Israelis:

They live in a country where any unattended bag could contain a bomb and any Arab walking down the street could have a bomb under his jacket. I am not saying that is the case, that is just what things look like when there is an explosion on a bus, or in a restaraunt, or in another public place every few weeks to a few months.

Politically, the moment their state was formed all nearby Arab countried declared war and most of them still haven't made peace. In addition to several full scale wars, these neighbors proudly support terrorist organisations acting within Israel, so their aggressive rhetoric has to be taken seriously.

The previous times Arab countries attacked Israel, nobody came to its aid. Why would next invasion be any different?

PS This post was just an answer to your question to explain where Infernal was coming from and why her statements that sound so strange to us make sence to her. I am well aware that Palestinians have similar causes to feel distrustful of Israel and I am not interested in a discussion of whose grivances are more valid.

EDIT:
quote:

quote:

quote:

I find it amusing that you think there is a contradiction. Israel should not exist in the state it is now, but that's no reason to remove the government by force or indeed to even remove the government.

And ad hominenm attacks aren't the best way to solve disputes. Inciting them, yes, but that's really not what anyone wants. Right?

1. What you originally said: "I also don't know why Israel as a state is still allowed to exist." (Emphasis added by me.) If this isn't a call for Israel to sease "existing as a state", I don't know what is.

2. "Ad hominem" is attacking the person, rather than the argument. The only thing I did was pointing out the logical contradiction within your post. I apologize for sarcastic tone of my remark. However, the remark's content itself is about as logical and impersonal as I could get in responding to a 2-sentence post.

[ Monday, May 01, 2006 15:01: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #33
quote:

[quote]EDIT:
quote:

quote:

quote:

1. What you originally said: "I also don't know why Israel as a state is still allowed to exist." (Emphasis added by me.) If this isn't a call for Israel to sease "existing as a state", I don't know what is.

And if it was? Is there something I don't know? Have I broken the U.S.A.'s laws unknowingly? Are we so pro-Israeli now that we've passed laws against free speech and calls for reform? Someone please inform me what the problem is with stating my opinions in the hopes of an argument.

quote:

2. "Ad hominem" is attacking the person, rather than the argument. The only thing I did was pointing out the logical contradiction within your post. That's about as logical and impersonal as I could get in responding to a 2-sentence post. If you take this as a personal attack, I am sorry, but you shouldn't take things so personally.

I wasn't referring to you. I'm sorry for the confusion.

--------------------
quote:

Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #34
quote:

And if it was? Is there something I don't know? Have I broken the U.S.A.'s laws unknowingly? Are we so pro-Israeli now that we've passed laws against free speech and calls for reform? Someone please inform me what the problem is with stating my opinions in the hopes of an argument.
First off, so many quote tags are evil.

Second, you stated an argument, he called it contradictory, you defended it, he rebutted your defense. Where is this coming from?

[ Monday, May 01, 2006 15:05: Message edited by: radix malorum est cupiditas ]

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #35
Originally by Lord Torso:

quote:
Someone please inform me what the problem is with stating my opinions in the hopes of an argument.
"...in the hopes of an argument..." is the problem Dikiyoba has with it, because provoking conflict is neither nice nor helpful.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #36
quote:

Second, you stated an argument, he called it contradictory, you defended it, he rebutted your defense.

I'm not seeing the contradiction. I see a sentence that I unnoticingly made contradictory in my second post ("I find it amusing that you think there is a contradiction blah blah blah"). My statement about the possibility of Israel only restructuring rather than dissolving its government could be taken as a call for Israel to reform rather than cease existing. But I would estimate the necessary restructuring to be so drastic that the state Israel as it is would cease to exist.

But that, if we look at these posts in chronological order, was after Zeviz told me I was making contradictory statements and so has no bearing. Someone will have to spell out the contradiction for me.

quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Originally by Lord Torso:

quote:
Someone please inform me what the problem is with stating my opinions in the hopes of an argument.
"...in the hopes of an argument..." is the problem Dikiyoba has with it, because provoking conflict is neither nice nor helpful.

If everyone let everyone else wander around spreading opposing views we would be much poorer. It can barely be called "not nice" anyway, as most people are more than happy to defend their opinions.

It's also helpful because people get to test and expand their views and knowledge.

[ Monday, May 01, 2006 15:22: Message edited by: Lord Torso ]

--------------------
quote:

Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #37
quote:

I'm not presuming to know more about Israel's history than a citizen of Israel, but didn't the Six Day War resulted in Israel gaining a lot of territory and defeating three countries in six days? Hardly "almost destroyed".

Even the Yom Kippur War ended with not all of the territory regained, and in fact helped diplomatic relations.

In any case, nothing like open war is going to happen now. Israel has proven that it is very hard to beat in armed conflicts, and has the backing of the U.S.

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #38
quote:

quote:

Second, you stated an argument, he called it contradictory, you defended it, he rebutted your defense.

I'm not seeing the contradiction. I see a sentence that I unnoticingly made contradictory in my second post ("I find it amusing that you think there is a contradiction blah blah blah"). My statement about the possibility of Israel only restructuring rather than dissolving its government could be taken as a call for Israel to reform rather than cease existing. But I would estimate the necessary restructuring to be so drastic that the state Israel as it is would cease to exist.

But that, if we look at these posts in chronological order, was after Zeviz told me I was making contradictory statements and so has no bearing. Someone will have to spell out the contradiction for me.

Saying that there's no reason for anyone to attack Israel and then saying that you don't understand why Israel still exists in the same breath. That seems pretty contradictory to me. When putting it in context that was never mentioned before mitigates it somewhat, but as you said there was another case of contradiction after that.
quote:

quote:

I'm not presuming to know more about Israel's history than a citizen of Israel, but didn't the Six Day War resulted in Israel gaining a lot of territory and defeating three countries in six days? Hardly "almost destroyed".

Even the Yom Kippur War ended with not all of the territory regained, and in fact helped diplomatic relations.

In any case, nothing like open war is going to happen now. Israel has proven that it is very hard to beat in armed conflicts, and has the backing of the U.S.

During the first four days of the six day war, Israel looked like a squashed ant. A squashed ant that somehow managed to rise up and defend itself from it's attackers agains all odds.

The Yom Kippur war was not so much a near defeat for Israel as it was a surprise. Practically no troops were on duty. They struck at the time when Israel was weakest in hopes of getting rid of it.

[ Monday, May 01, 2006 15:34: Message edited by: radix malorum est cupiditas ]

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #39
I'm sorry, I assumed by default that people would not assume by default that war is the default answer to removal of a government.

As for the cases of contradictions, I see it now. If you look back, I made the same pair of contradictory statements twice in slightly different forms.

And to everyone in general, I'm sorry that I've made so many posts in the topic. I feel your pain.

--------------------
quote:

Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #40
quote:

quote:

quote:

During the first four days of the six day war, Israel looked like a squashed ant. A squashed ant that somehow managed to rise up and defend itself from it's attackers agains all odds.

The Yom Kippur war was not so much a near defeat for Israel as it was a surprise. Practically no troops were on duty. They struck at the time when Israel was weakest in hopes of getting rid of it.

Why so indignant? Isn't that just what you've been proposing needs to be done to the 'Muslim theocracies'? If you're going to play by barbaric rules, don't turn around and get pissy if the other side is in the habit of the same.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #41
Do we have an Isreali historian in our ranks? Preferably a military one? I'd like a history of those wars, and I don't want to walk over to Wikiped to get it. I'd like a first-hand knowledge. We've got a joke around here, that you don't screw with Isrealis.

Anyway, back to Sudan/human rights/UN/etc. Granted, there may be some truth to the claim that the US is crippling the UN (don't comment on that, I don't care), but as far as I can see, the UN has a bad record in some places (Iraq, N. Korea as examples other dictatorships) in the area of 'human rights'. Anybody care to comment?

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #42
The UN doesn't have its own army, you know. If major countries like the US don't support it, its real power is pretty much limited to writing strongly-worded letters. What do you expect it to do?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #43
Yes, how exactly does it have a "bad record"?

You know who has a bad record in Iraq? Iraq does. And the U.S., and the U.K., and nearly every country that's stuck its hands into that arsenic-laced cookie jar...

(Edit: You know who has a bad record typing coherently in Slarty's posts? Slarty does...)

[ Monday, May 01, 2006 21:58: Message edited by: $ v. # ]

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #44
The UN Human Rights Council has been a farce long before the US invaded Iraq.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #45
quote:
Originally written by The Worst Man Ever:

Why so indignant? Isn't that just what you've been proposing needs to be done to the 'Muslim theocracies'? If you're going to play by barbaric rules, don't turn around and get pissy if the other side is in the habit of the same.
I suggest reading the posts you quote before you comment about them. My reasoning for what needs to be done to the muslim theocracys is because of this.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #46
You know what really bothers me about the Israel-Palestine conflict? The way it manages to take over every other issue. At every demonstration I've ever seen at U.C. Berkeley, no matter on what topic, there's always somebody with an "End the Occupation of Palestine" sign. Here, when we began talking about an actual in-progress genocide, we got derailed into talking about Israel.

This is not the only important issue in the world, dammit. Other people live in circumstances that are more dire.

EDIT: That said, the Israelis have all the political and economic power in Israel, and the Palestinians have none. As long as that remains true, peace between unequals is impossible.

[ Tuesday, May 02, 2006 06:48: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #47
quote:

quote:

I suggest reading the posts you quote before you comment about them. My reasoning for what needs to be done to the muslim theocracys is because of this.

Uh.

From the brief research I have done on the subject, and please correct me if I am wrong:

In 1948, there was indeed an unprovoked attack by Arab states on Israel. The states were dictatorships and monarchies; characterizing them as 'theocracies' verges on insane. Israel won the war and, in so doing, annexed a substantial amount of what would have been Palestinian territory.

In 1956, Egypt nationalized the Suez Company, and in response, France and England essentially used Israel as a cat's-paw, attacking Egypt by proxy and managing to keep the Suez Canal open. Hardly self-defense.

In 1967 there occurred the Six Day War: for whatever reason, Egypt elected to blockade Aqaba, closing access for Israel to the Red Sea. Israel proceeded to launch a 'pre-emptive attack' on Egypt and seize the Sinai, along with various other territories they had a strategic but not legal reason to occupy. This was essentially a war of aggression on Israel's part.

In 1973, mostly in retribution for the 1967 war, Egypt and Syria invaded, intent on reclaiming territories lost.

After the cease-fire, a series of conferences eventually lead to recognition for Israel from Egypt - conditional on Israeli withdrawal from the Sinai.

The lesson to be learned here? Simple. In three/four/five wars (depending on whether you count the Suez Crisis as a war, or the War of Attrition), Israel at its zenith managed to, what? Seize a few thousand square miles of desert? It wasn't until they gave the ridiculous siege-mentality 'We have to get them or they'll get us' a rest and actually took Egypt to the table that they got anything done.

An auxillary lesson is that Israel had an exceptional amount of culpability in any given international war it fought in (except 1948 - granted). That's auxillary because it doesn't make a whit of difference. You can't have security until you have peace, and someone who will only settle for victory will have to wait for peace until the other side - the Arabs here, I suppose - is dead.

If that's how it's going to go - well, they have a word for when a country gets together and kills millions of a specific race because they believe it's the only way to keep them in line.

I'm sure you know it.

And in other news -

Sudan. Hell of a thing.

Sudan would have been a better investment of American troops than Iraq.

Before you start objecting - the government of Sudan has been systematically ravaging the southern black population for years and years. Before Iraq. Maybe before Bush.

George Bush had a chance to stop the genocide in Sudan and he didn't. Just like George Bush has squandered every other God-damn chance to do a gram of good to humanity.

But Sudan, of course, doesn't have oil. And it's only tangentially related geographically to the petro-crescent.

So Bush, no matter what he has to say on the subject, doesn't care about Sudan. When he says it's genocide, he's admitting his own failure as he swipes at the UN.

Except nobody's calling him to account for that failure. His amen corner chuckles smarmily at the failings of the rest of the world and doesn't even consider what he could have done.

Or still can.

But won't.

Bastard.

[ Tuesday, May 02, 2006 15:48: Message edited by: The Worst Man Ever ]
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #48
quote:

...From the brief research I have done on the subject, and please correct me if I am wrong:

In 1948, there was indeed an unprovoked attack by Arab states on Israel. The states were dictatorships and monarchies; characterizing them as 'theocracies' verges on insane. Israel won the war and, in so doing, annexed a substantial amount of what would have been Palestinian territory.
Yes, Arabs were the aggressors.

quote:
In 1956, Egypt nationalized the Suez Company, and in response, France and England essentially used Israel as a cat's-paw, attacking Egypt by proxy and managing to keep the Suez Canal open. Hardly self-defense.
Yes, Israel was the aggressor here.

quote:
In 1967 there occurred the Six Day War: for whatever reason, Egypt elected to blockade Aqaba, closing access for Israel to the Red Sea. Israel proceeded to launch a 'pre-emptive attack' on Egypt and seize the Sinai, along with various other territories they had a strategic but not legal reason to occupy. This was essentially a war of aggression on Israel's part.
Correction:
Arab countries violated every single term of the cease-fire: from Egypt kicking out international observers and moving its army towards Israeli border to Syrian artillery shelling Israeli farms from positions on Golan heights.

Considering that Egypt and Syria were still in a state of war with Israel and Egypt just kicked out international observers from border and moved its army there, while Syria was shelling Israeli farms, in addition to breaking all other terms of cease-fire (Egypt blocking Israeli shipment through international waters, etc.), cease-fire was dead. And when you are in a state of war and the other side breaks the cease-fire, attacking them doesn't sound that unreasonable.

Note that Israel did not attack Jordan, which didn't violate its part of the bargain. The only countries attacked were Syria and Egypt, who violated all cease-fire terms. Jordan declared war on Israel later, getting in on Egypt and Syria's losing war.

quote:
In 1973, mostly in retribution for the 1967 war, Egypt and Syria invaded, intent on reclaiming territories lost.
Yes, Arabs were the aggressors

quote:
After the cease-fire, a series of conferences eventually lead to recognition for Israel from Egypt - conditional on Israeli withdrawal from the Sinai.

The lesson to be learned here? Simple. In three/four/five wars (depending on whether you count the Suez Crisis as a war, or the War of Attrition), Israel at its zenith managed to, what? Seize a few thousand square miles of desert? It wasn't until they gave the ridiculous siege-mentality 'We have to get them or they'll get us' a rest and actually took Egypt to the table that they got anything done.
Correction:
Israel tried to negotiate after every single war. Arabs refused peace in 1948. Arabs refused peace in 1956. Arabs refused peace in 1967. Only after 1973, when Arabs gave up on destroying Israel did Egypt accept peace. In 1973, Arabs had the advantage of a surprize attack during the day of the year when almost all Jewish soldiers were in sinagogues, but still lost. Only after that did Egypt accept peace.

quote:
An auxillary lesson is that Israel had an exceptional amount of culpability in any given international war it fought in (except 1948 - granted).
Correction:
Israel was the one attacked in 3 out of 4 wars. That's a strange way of assigning "exceptional culpability".

quote:
That's auxillary because it doesn't make a whit of difference. You can't have security until you have peace, and someone who will only settle for victory will have to wait for peace until the other side - the Jews here, I suppose - is dead.

If that's how it's going to go - well, they have a word for when a country gets together and kills millions of a specific race because they believe it's the only way to keep them in line.

I'm sure you know it.
FYT
Israel tried to negotiate with Arabs countless times, but none of the offers were enough. The talks with the Palestinians in late 1990s were the classic example: whenever Israel agreed to Palestinian demands, new demands arose. Here is what Israel offered when Palestinians refused to continue negotiations and started their terrorist campaign:

- An independent Palestinian state, including
- Complete control of 100% of Gaza.
- Complete control of 90% of West Bank.
- Removal of all settlements from Palestinian controlled areas.
- Control over the Temple Mount and some suburbs of Jerusalem.
- Compensation for all refugees (both Palestinian and Jewish)

That was the offer to which Palestinians responded with current terror campaign.

And after this people still have the audacity to say that Israelis are the ones refusing to negotiate and trying to wipe the other side off the map?

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #49
quote:

Israel tried to negotiate after every single war. Arabs refused peace in 1948. Arabs refused peace in 1956. Arabs refused peace in 1967. Only after 1973, when Arabs gave up on destroying Israel did Egypt accept peace. In 1973, Arabs had the advantage of a surprize attack during the day of the year when almost all Jewish soldiers were in sinagogues, but still lost. Only after that did Egypt accept peace.
As I recall, Israelis refused peace, too. Both sides had offers that the other side refused. Arabs blame Israelis for not accepting the terms that Arabs wanted, and Israelis blame Arabs for not accepting the terms that Israelis wanted. It's clearly the fault of both sides for not finding a compromise.

quote:
The talks with the Palestinians in late 1990s were the classic example: whenever Israel agreed to Palestinian demands, new demands arose.
The problem was that Israeli leaders didn't really just "agree" to any given Palestinian demand, nor did Palestinian leaders just "agree" to any given Israeli demand. There was always much more give and take: "Okay, we'll accept less of this land in this spot for more land over here in this other spot."

But really, anyone who expected Netanyahu and Arafat to agree on anything was idealistic. With the assassination of Rabin, the peace process was set back about twenty or thirty years.

quote:
And after this people still have the audacity to say that Israelis are the ones refusing to negotiate and trying to wipe the other side off the map?
"Refusing to negotiate" is addressed above, but concerning wiping the other side off the map: Ben-Gurion did start a program of relocation, as far as scholars can tell. He can't be blamed for every last one of the million refugees created after the 1948 war, but he also doesn't stand blameless.

Some Muslims have sworn to drive out the "Zionists" — as they are fond of calling the Israelis — but some Israeli political leaders, including Netanyahu, have not sounded terribly more reasonable when talking about the Palestinians.

EDIT: My point here is that there's plenty of blame to go around, and Israel definitely should get a healthy share. It's not the most constructive way to think, but denying all wrongdoing is a good way to start a fight and not bring people to the table to negotiate.

[ Tuesday, May 02, 2006 16:45: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00

Pages