Are FRPGs inherently gerontocratic?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Are FRPGs inherently gerontocratic?
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Lenar Labs:

quote:
Originally written by Khoth:

Because recovering the Mystical Item of Doom from the Dungeon of Terror makes for a better story than would nipping down to the local supermarket to buy the new improved Ring of Power that's 50% more powerful than last year's model that the bad guy's using, perhaps.
Sounds like the premise for a good Blades scenario.

Yeah, but who would play it? It would be the same as saying that your character(s) aren't the hero(s), just their secretaries. It may be original, but playable?

EDIT: Welcome back Thuryl.

- Archmagus Micael

[ Saturday, April 15, 2006 11:54: Message edited by: Archmagus Micael ]

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #26
You don't need to be the heroes to make a scenario good.

You also don't need to be making purchases for others. Buy the Magical Whatsit for yourself!

—Alorael, who wants to know whether a two for the price of one deal can ever apply to the One Artifact of Ultimate Power.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by A Matter of Time and Space:

You don't need to be the heroes to make a scenario good.

You also don't need to be making purchases for others. Buy the Magical Whatsit for yourself!

—Alorael, who wants to know whether a two for the price of one deal can ever apply to the One Artifact of Ultimate Power.

Probably. A supermarket always has LOTS of the same item, so it seems reasonable that you could buy both, or however many you wanted.

Then again, why doesn't the bad guy do the same? That's another reason why artifacts are always old: no-one knows how to make them anymore, so whoever has them is more powerful. If everyone could make or acquire them, the artifact would be rendered useless.

You can't exactly save the world using the power given to you by your ARTIFACT of Strength, if the baddie has one also.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #28
I am tired of the stock standard, "It's an ancient artefact" junk that most RPGs do. If the meme was used in moderation and logically, I'd be a lot less irritated by it.

Just because something is ancient, doesn't make it better. Items truly deserving of the artefact status would have been a rarity in their own time, something unique. Items like that, have to come from somewhere.

This is one of the factors I really like from some of Spiderweb's games. Really powerful items are far from easy to make, but they can be made. Artefacts of any sort should be difficult to make, or otherwise they wouldn't be artefacts. As such, older artefacts should outnumber the new, but it should not be impossible to create new ones.

I reckon that this is where Avernum 3 makes a perfect balance; the "You can make this artefact" meme is used, but not overwhelmingly.

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Well, so much for leaving. This thread has tempted me back.[/QB]
Ha! You never really left. It's impossible I tell you, IMPOSSIBLE!

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Archmagus Micael:

Yeah, but who would play it? It would be the same as saying that your character(s) aren't the hero(s), just their secretaries. It may be original, but playable?
While you don't play a secretary, Measle's The Magic Flute arguably fits this formula.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.

Pages