Blades of Exile - 9.82 (10.0/7.0)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Blades of Exile - 9.82 (10.0/7.0)
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #25
quote:
Originally written by Andrea:

7.0 - A passable attempt at extending the Exile line to the hands of the players, made in mostly ill-faith and poorly supported throughout its long life. Salvaged by the ingenuity and dedication of its die-hard fan community.
I agree it could be supported a lot better, but can you name any competing tools combined with ease of use, versatility, and proven record of success? :P

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 6852
Profile #26
ZZT?

--------------------
http://desperance.net
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #27
ZZT. Now that's an appropriate comparison. :rolleyes:

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 6852
Profile #28
Why isn't it?

--------------------
http://desperance.net
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #29
What the heck.

Imperfections in the editor are more than made up for by the work done with it.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #30
Well, I guess my eye roll was a bit much -- sorry about that. ZZT is a good game with an editor that was, in its own way, revolutionary, and it deserves praise.

ZZT was good because it was simple, incredibly simple. The basic game world is ZZT is so much simpler than that of Exile, in terms of mechanics and especially in terms of representation. The ZZT editor will let you do "anything," but a large percentage of "anything" ends up being done through text, or through a huge amount of graphical fudging. BoE aspires to give a specific form to a lot of different things, to make a compromise between ease of use and the ability to be complex.

Obviously, the more complicated an editor has to be, the more chances there are for things to go wrong. Now, I'm not excusing anything about BoE here; it had lots of weird bugs, and it could have been supported better. But in the last analysis BoE is far more capable, even given those problems, than anything else in its class. Unlimited Adventures had lots of bugs too, and was far more limited in what it allowed. Don't even get me started on Divinity. Adventure Construction Set was great -- in 1985. And so on.

ZZT compares better, in my mind, with some of the scenario-based roguelikes. It's just so very limited in how you can structure things. At the other extreme you have stuff like RPG Toolkit or RPG Maker, which are more flexible than Blades, but also require investing a lot more time to get a finished product. (Yes, I know it takes a huge investment of time to finish a good scenario in BoE. Still.)

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #31
Bain-Ihrno casts:
Ressurection

BoE comes back from the dead. :P

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #32
Now that I've played a lot of BoE scenarios, I can say I'm impressed. The bugs are still annoying, but it's still a 9.9
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00

Pages