From the desk of Mitt Romney:

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: From the desk of Mitt Romney:
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #25
Before you go all crazy praising the politicians from my home state, add in the other ones, like Kerry, Dukakis, and the Bush family. I realize that people like to get all dreamy about the Kennedy family, but realize that they got their inheritance from their smuggling operations. All told, the generation mentioned did a lot more good than bad, but they aren't saints. Not many willful politicians are saints.

And stop aborting the topic by talking about abortions. It's not on the agenda.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #26
quote:

The mention of the Lord's Prayer made me do what I compulsively do now: look it up! I read it in English first, then in Latin, and then in Greek. It comes, after all, from Matthew (and also appears, in a slightly less developed form, in Luke).

The English actually is a very good translation of the Latin, and the Latin is a pretty good translation of the Greek. There's some odd textual history with the last line, but other than that, I'm impressed with how well this one actually holds up.

Other than that, I'm not touching this topic with a ten-foot pole at the moment. :P

You know, Kelandon, you're an intelligent person and I suppose my expectations of you might be a tad on the high side but don't you get a little disappointed when Johnnyfeds contributes more meaningful information to a topic than you?

quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

... like Kerry ...
O RLY

[ Wednesday, February 22, 2006 17:37: Message edited by: Belisarius ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #27
Perhaps, Alec, but it always reassures me that you are so diligent in your God-appointed mission of telling people when they're not living up to your standards of message-board posting quality, especially since you've contributed so much to this thread.

In other news, yes, I might cast a vote based on a candidate's religion, if he talked about his religion in a way that annoyed me.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #28
He would have looked better in an Aquaman costume.

As a fiscally conservative, socially liberal independent, I have found the slate of Democratic candidates to be an embarassment for the past 24 years. Prior to that I was not interested in politics. Perhaps lack of alternatives is what is pushing the electorate in the direction it is supposedly moving?

--------------------
quote:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #29
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

He would have looked better in an Aquaman costume.
But Aquaman is a gimp -- oh. I suppose you're right.
quote:

As a fiscally conservative, socially liberal independent, I have found the slate of Democratic candidates to be an embarassment for the past 24 years. Prior to that I was not interested in politics. Perhaps lack of alternatives is what is pushing the electorate in the direction it is supposedly moving?

I liked Clinton as a young man; before him I had not yet learned to tie my shoes. As what amounts to a left radical and an independent, I don't like the candidates either, but for what I expect to be the opposite reason - everyone's cutting taxes on someone and kowtowing to the right somehow.

When I vote in November, it's gonna be for the Democrats - because I don't like the Nevada Republicans and unfortunately nobody else has a viable chance of winning. And unless something changes, In the primary, again unless something changes, I'd be campaigning for Kucinich and voting for Clinton, and the same pretty much goes for the general election.

It's unpleasant, two-party politics, but what can you do.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #30
At the risk of revealing my incomplete knowledge of internet slang, what does "O RLY" mean? "oh really"?

[ Thursday, February 23, 2006 00:55: Message edited by: Arancaytar the Grey ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #31
That is indeed what it means, but it's not what it connotes.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #32
Responding to a one-liner with a one-liner: What does it connote?

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #33
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_RLY

[ Thursday, February 23, 2006 01:40: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #34
I am once again a tiny bit more knowledgeable. What a splendid feeling. :)

--------------------
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #35
Listen, I know the Kennedey's are a touckie subject, but still, Romney would be terrible for
the nation, I hope he looses.

--------------------
"I am Batman". Batman.

"I was Escobars guy, I was untouchable".

George Jung-Blow.

"Dare to disturb the Universe". The Chocolate War.

There is nothing sadder Than wasted Talent.

Lorenzo, A Bronx Tale.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Originally written by Uc:

"...Lead us to temptation and then away again!"

Suppose somehow someone were prevented from having the opportunity to sin or resist the temptation to sin. Would that person be a good person? Would the preventers be good (assuming no cruel and unusual methods of restraint)? What about that big deal issue of free will?

—Alorael, who is reasonably sure that fetuses can't sin and humans almost always do. Aren't an unborn baby's chances of getting a free trip to Heaven better than a born baby's?

Unborn babies are prevented from hearing the word of God, accepting it, and therefore carrying out the work God intended them to do on Earth. I imagine they go to heaven, but with few accomplishments to tell about.

--------------------
-ben4808
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #37
I had a discussion with an Anglican priest once about what, if anything, he believed happened to humans which died before birth. His response was basically that it's a complex theological issue that it's generally best not to think about too much.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #38
If Heaven requires bragging, I don't really want in so much.

—Alorael, who believes the easiest answer to the unborn baby question is that souls don't appear until birth. That has interesting implications for legislation, too.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #39
Don't some fetuses miscarry in the very early stages of pregnacy due to an abnormal gene combinations? That seems to imply that the souls aren't created at conception, at least.

Dikiyoba.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #40
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Don't some fetuses miscarry in the very early stages of pregnacy due to an abnormal gene combinations? That seems to imply that the souls aren't created at conception, at least.
Yup. As a rough estimate, about 70% of conceptions never survive to birth, and most of those die in the first few weeks after conception.

And of course, in the first 14 days after conception, an embryo is capable of dividing in half to form identical twins, which poses the curly question of when the second soul appears -- especially since an embryo that has split in this way occasionally reunites soon after and ends up producing a single fetus.

In fact, sometimes the embryos of two non-identical twins will fuse in the uterus to form a single "chimeric embryo", developing into a baby with cells from both twins distributed roughly evenly throughout all its organs. Does a chimeric human have one soul or two?

[ Thursday, February 23, 2006 20:57: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #41
Let's hope that doesn't turn out to be the plot of Geneforge 4. :P

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #42
By Alorael:
quote:
Alorael, who believes the easiest answer to the unborn baby question is that souls don't appear until birth. That has interesting implications for legislation, too.
Gah!!! All the people I know delivered Caesarean are SOULLESS!!!

Back on topic: do politicians have souls?

P.S. Forgive my ignorance in all things American, but who is Mitt Romney?

EDIT: Stupid colon.

--------------------
Politics: derived from 'poly-', meaning many, and 'ticks', meaning blood-sucking creatures.

[ Friday, February 24, 2006 15:35: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #43
He's the Mormon governor of Massachusetts.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #44
One could argue that the soul is only fully developed at the point of adulthood, and an embryo could not be accurately described as either having a soul or being soulless, but rather as having 0.0045 of a soul or something. However, that kind of thinking could lead to all sorts of weird places.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #45
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

In fact, sometimes the embryos of two non-identical twins will fuse in the uterus to form a single "chimeric embryo", developing into a baby with cells from both twins distributed roughly evenly throughout all its organs. Does a chimeric human have one soul or two?
So your body would contain two totally different genetic sequences. That's pretty cool.

As far as the theological aspect goes on that, I suppose that God can have plans for di-genetic people as well.

--------------------
-ben4808
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #46
quote:
Originally written by the benalizer:

So your body would contain two totally different genetic sequences. That's pretty cool.
Yup. Actually, there was a CSI episode inspired by that once.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #47
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

All the people I know delivered Caesarean are SOULLESS!!!
I'm pretty sure birth by C-section is still considered birth. Otherwise I was never born myself.

—Alorael, who would hate to be autoimmune to someone else's genes.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #48
By Alorael:
quote:
I'm pretty sure birth by C-section is still considered birth. Otherwise I was never born myself.
Wasn't that central to the plot of Macbeth?

--------------------
Turn, hellhound, turn!
- Macduff (Macbeth)
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #49
Just a little off-topic musing:

Catholics (correct me if I'm wrong) believe (or believed) in limbo, and different stages of hell. I personally believe that Heaven is God, in a way, and that God will eventually defeat evil, thus freeing all souls from Hell (and limbo, if it exists). It's reasonable to assume that unborn humans do not go to heaven; they are still human, after all, and therefore carry the burden of proof of suitability for heaven, and as they haven't had a chance to prove themselves, they cannot experience Heaven. Does that mean that if the soul is gained at conception, at least 70% of them are in some kind of limbo? Well, maybe so, but an eventual eternity in Heaven afterwards seems fair enough, doesn't it?

I've been told that a group of mathematicians once tried to determine if there could be infinity inside infinity (and infinitely large part inside another infinitely large part) and, rather than coming to a conclusion, decided that it didn't matter. For the reason above, I disagree, and wish someone else would take on the task...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.

Pages