Everything you never wanted to know about Christian radio...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Everything you never wanted to know about Christian radio...
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #28
My question to Creator is, how "christian" do people want the station to be, and how do they "enforce" this policy?

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 15:26: Message edited by: Imban ]

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #39
Jeff could make money by turning this into a subscription service. Not all of it mind you, but this. Ever since the movie JackAss was released I've found it ever so amusing to see people running full tilt into brick walls.

I'm against commercial radio because a format change made my girlfriend mad. Now she needs to go to AM to get her fix. Nothing against paid advertisements on the radio, even if they last 1/2 hour. Just tell me upfront and at the end. The music is music and I'm likely to not appreciate 90% of it no matter which channel I'm tuned in to.

But there is no excuse for 97.1 "The Fish."

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 15:31: Message edited by: Imban ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #51
quote:
Originally written by Prometheus:

Anyway, Creator didn't design this purpose so that self-righteous cyberpundits could crap all over it.

My question to Creator is, how "christian" do people want the station to be, and how do they "enforce" this policy?

First point, CORRECT! Everyone, please STOP DERAILING THIS THREAD! Take it somewhere else. One more post on this tangent and I get ticked off. I won't be able to do anything about it, but I'll be ticked off.

To the question, it really depends which people you're talking about. I'm on one extreme, in that I think we shouldn't be trying to be a "Christian station" at all. On the other extreme are the people who complain about the "voodoo beat" (seriously, we have had this complaint) of the contempary music we play and (as far as I can tell) would like the station to be nothing but hymns and preaching.

No one "enforces" their point of view, except for the board, whose job it is to lie down guidelines. For everyone else, it's simply the fact that we have to try to keep everyone as happy as possible for the station to function. We run largely on volunteers (I'm an exception), and are funded largely by donations, so if we tick off a particular faction enough, people will withdraw their support. So even though both myself and the boss are in favour of a mixed format, making that change overnight would have severe financial consequences for us.

That said, we're in a very fortunate position, in that we have 2 frequencies up and running and a license for a third. Ideally, as I mentioned earlier, I'd like to see our programming split up, so we have different things on different channels. On the AM channel we would have a dedicated teaching/preaching/talkback station, on one of the FM frequencies we have a 100% Christian station with a P&W influence targeted at the 35-55 year old demographic, and on the other FM channel I get to play around and make it sound the way I want. :)

EDIT: Woah, vertigo. Thanks Imban, and everyone can just ignore that little rant at the top of this post.

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 15:41: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #52
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

I'm against commercial radio because a format change made my girlfriend mad. Now she needs to go to AM to get her fix. Nothing against paid advertisements on the radio, even if they last 1/2 hour. Just tell me upfront and at the end. The music is music and I'm likely to not appreciate 90% of it no matter which channel I'm tuned in to.

But there is no excuse for 97.1 "The Fish."

I am ignorant. Please expound.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #53
First of all I'm astonished that anyone read that.

In our local radio market there are about 40 or so stations in FM mode. There seems to be a balance of musical genres, for instance there are always 3-5 "hip-hop 16-24y.o." stations. Recently there has been an increase in Christian radio format stations. This led to the death of the only 50's music station in the area. It was low demand, and a business decision was made.

I'm not really into radio, living in the sticks I only seem to get about 5 stations, and I prefer public broadcasting. But from what I've read/heard, a lot of radio in the USA is now satellite broadcast to the local stations for re-broadcast. This used to be Casey Kasem or Westwood One productions (Weird Al hour) but now it seems pervasive. Some suit in NYC is dictating a playlist, including frequency each song gets on the air, when it is on the air, and when it is pulled from rotation.

I guess that is what I meant. It doesn't really affect me personally, other than her car radio confuses me and I have a hard time navigating from AM to FM and then to the right FM station.

It probably just boils down to being a technoob, and wanting to place the blame on some faceless and nameless entity living 2000 miles away.

:)

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #54
I hate how often radio stations for popular music repeat songs. And how stations claim that they play "non-stop music" stop after every song to point that out. Since they do that, they are no longer playing "non-stop music." It annoys me to no end.

Therefore, Dikiyoba ends up listening to a lot of CDs.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #55
I notice commercials beginning to creep into webradio webcasts I like to listen to while on the computer via iTunes. They too, seem inevitably doomed to commercialitis.

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #56
quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

I notice commercials beginning to creep into webradio webcasts I like to listen to while on the computer via iTunes. They too, seem inevitably doomed to commercialitis.
Alas... marketing and the internet are the new basis for western society. :P

--------------------
The Silent Assassin would like me to take the time to Advertise our website.
Which I think is kinda stupid, seeing as our area on the site hasn't been constructed yet.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #57
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

First of all I'm astonished that anyone read that.

In our local radio market there are about 40 or so stations in FM mode. There seems to be a balance of musical genres, for instance there are always 3-5 "hip-hop 16-24y.o." stations. Recently there has been an increase in Christian radio format stations. This led to the death of the only 50's music station in the area. It was low demand, and a business decision was made.

I'm not really into radio, living in the sticks I only seem to get about 5 stations, and I prefer public broadcasting. But from what I've read/heard, a lot of radio in the USA is now satellite broadcast to the local stations for re-broadcast. This used to be Casey Kasem or Westwood One productions (Weird Al hour) but now it seems pervasive. Some suit in NYC is dictating a playlist, including frequency each song gets on the air, when it is on the air, and when it is pulled from rotation.

I guess that is what I meant. It doesn't really affect me personally, other than her car radio confuses me and I have a hard time navigating from AM to FM and then to the right FM station.

It probably just boils down to being a technoob, and wanting to place the blame on some faceless and nameless entity living 2000 miles away.

:)

That's commercial radio for you. There's a spot in western Victoria that I drive through sometimes where two Mix stations overlap. It's weird, because they have different ads and different announcers, but they play the exact same songs in the exact same order - only a few minutes apart.

Want a local, independent station? Go community radio! :D

--------------------

Pages