Everything you never wanted to know about Christian radio...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Everything you never wanted to know about Christian radio...
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #0
...but morbid curiosity compelled you to ask anyway. And if you don't have any morbid curiosity, why did you click on this thread in the first place?

For those who don't know, I am (by title at least) the music director at a Christian radio station. In practice, I do a (big) bit of everything, so I can answer pretty much any questions, whether it's about the format, the content, the listenership, the politics (oh dear God, the politics), the money, or whatever.

A couple of fun facts to get people interested:

1) Often, the person you hear on air isn't actually there. The most extreme example I can think of was this one time a large network was advertising nationwide for a person to regularly record a shift at home (wherever they were), and send it via internet to their main hub in Brisbane, from where it would be broadcast on over 200 stations around regional/rural Australia.

2) A large proportion of listeners to Australian Christian radio are not themselves Christians. In Brisbane, from somewhere in the vicinity of 280,000 listeners, it's up to 49%.

3) How do those arrogant, pompous, windbag televangelists stay on air? Simple. They pay us to play their programs. Seriously.

And if you want any more juicy info, you have to ask.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

the politics (oh dear God, the politics)
This sounds interesting, but I can't even formulate a proper question.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #2
That was leet.

*this message sponsored by the number 1337*

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #3
Would I get it in Warrnambool? If so, whats the frequency (Kenneth)?

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #4
Ash: The SICTG™ has upgraded your title. :D

HINT: Click on the happy graemlin.

[ Friday, February 17, 2006 20:28: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #5
Synergy: :D

Spring: For you, try 100.9 FM. That should get you Vision FM. That's the large network based in Brisbane that I mentioned earlier.

Kel: There is a lot to say about that. One of the main conflicts that arises comes from fundamental disagreements about what Christian radio is, what it should be, and what it's for. Coupled with the fact that everyone believes their point of view with religious fervour, you have a situation ripe for angst-pies. Oddly enough, doctrinal differences don't come into it much.

The main conflict I'm talking about here is: What music do we play? Broadly speaking, there are two main camps, those who want to play 100% Christian music and those who want to play a mix of Christian music and mainstream music. Some stations do one, some do the other, but at all of them there are some people of either point of view, and there can be some really robust debates on the issue. It gets more complicated than that, but then, that's what arguments do.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #6
So, what's your take on it?

How did you end up in the business, anyway?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #7
Top 5 favorite Xian Rock albums:

Larry Norman: S.N.U.T.S.
Larry Norman: So Long Ago The Garden
Randy Stonehill: Welcome To Paradise
Petra: Never Say Die
Daniel Amos: Horrendous Disc

I cut my teeth on this stuff.

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

So, what's your take on it?

How did you end up in the business, anyway?

On the music thing? My views are pretty unorthodox. I'm strongly in favour of a mixed format, as I consider "Christian music" to be nothing more than a marketing term.

I started by doing volunteer announcing at my local station in Mt Gambier about two years ago. I liked music, and I liked talking, so an activity that combined the two seemed like fun. There was some drama at that station, some people resigned, and I ended up taking on more responsibility. After a while I got a paid job there. Shortly after that, I was offered a paid job here (Canberra). I accepted, and have been working here for a bit over a year now.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #9
So what is the point of a Christian radio station, if not to play Christian music?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

So what is the point of a Christian radio station, if not to play Christian music?
Depends on which demographic you're targeting. Some Christian stations are targeted at the Christian demographic and see their mission as serving the Christian community. This is the predominant model elsewhere in the world. Others, and as far as I know this is a uniquely Australian thing, see their role essentially as doing a PR job for the religion in the mainstream. This is more than a little connected to the music debate.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #11
quote:

3) How do those arrogant, pompous, windbag televangelists stay on air? Simple. They pay us to play their programs. Seriously.
Just how much money are we talking here? Obscene amounts? And what percentage of the programs would you say are forced to air in this manner?

quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

Top 5 favorite Xian Rock albums:
Just had to highlight this... it made me laugh. It's the A3 in me.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #12
So X is really Jesus?

Wow. Could've fooled me.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

quote:

Just how much money are we talking here? Obscene amounts? And what percentage of the programs would you say are forced to air in this manner?

I certainly wouldn't say that they're "forced" to air. We're talking comparatively small amounts of money. Few stations play every program that offers this deal. There was one that was dropped from our station (before I came here) because the manager at the time deemed it too offensive to Muslims. I don't think he had even received any complaints about it either.

I'd say that probably 50% of these programs do something along these lines. Basically, if there's a bit at the end that is essentially an informercial for the preacher's latest book or if there's an appeal for donations, they're probably paying for it to be aired.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #14
Yay for Christian radio.
And politics.

I myself edit a kids' program for a nonprofit organization, and am looking into getting an internship at a Christian radio station in New Jersey.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin has made it clear that he does not want to get on the cart. I suggest that you come back next Thursday.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #15
Where does the money come from, when you run out of arrogant pompous windbag tele(radio-?)vangelists?

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Khoth:

when you run out of arrogant pompous windbag tele(radio-?)vangelists?
That's a rhetorical scenario if I ever saw one.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #17
However, even though some people acutally listen more to the mainstream, violence-advocating heavy-metal stuff, Christian music is still good, and not only for the lyrics.

--------------------
-ben4808
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
If Christian music were only "good" for being Christian, nobody would listen. Message rarely trumps aesthetics.

—Alorael, who would like to know who the non-Christian listeners are.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6689
Profile #19
Eep! Christians! Run away!!!

(Semodius is an atheist anti-establishment commy pinko hippy nature lover who likes to prance through the meadows in bare feet and thinks religion causes far more harm than good, even though it can be a driving force for good [see Martin Luther King, Jr.] it always bites ya in the ass. Like that one snake that bit Steve Irwin that one time. Hehehe that was good. I used to belong to a Lutheran church and my pastor was the same type as me, but he believed in Jesus and such. Very good guy. He's in his 70s I believe and still paddlin' in the BWCAW. He's the guy who turned me on to the whole disbelief scene. I took it a bit farther than him but I respect certain parables and other biblical teachings as wise. I also respect teachings of the Koran [Quran], the Torah, certain Taoist teachings, and other wise information. But my holy book is the entire works of Edward Abbey [The Monkey Wrench Gang, Heyduke Lives!, Desert Solitaire, A Fool's Progress, and countless others... so watch out for your motors!!]. Now back to making out with this tree...)

--------------------
--Dachnaz
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #20
Some christian rock is actually pretty good... I was honestly surprised to see that Relient K was a christian rock group, and I still enjoy their music. I just subconsciously bleep the word "God" when I listen to it... :D

And I wholeheartedly agree with Alo's "Message rarely trumps aesthetics"... some music would honestly be better without the lyrics, or would work just as well with gibberish for lyrics. The overall sound is what counts...

quote:
Originally written by Semodius:

Eep! Christians! Run away!!!
I tend to feel the same way, but only when they're preachy. But then again, that goes for anybody of any group who thinks that they're right and nobody else is. Closed-mindedness gets on my nerves, as well as people who offer to try to convert me or "pray for me" (with the intent of getting me saved). I too am an atheist hippie nature-lover with a semi-liberal political stance, so I tend to be irked by the more uptight neo-fundamentalist types.

Generally, I'm fine with christians, and they're fine with me. As long as nobody tries to "save" anyone, everything's fine. :D

For instance, I get the feeling that I'd be intensely annoyed by any of the people who pay for their shows to air.

--------------------

E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Khoth:

Where does the money come from, when you run out of arrogant pompous windbag tele(radio-?)vangelists?
We are mostly funded by voluntary donations from our listeners, and also "sponsorship" (in theory, it's not advertising, in practice, it is) makes up a substantial portion of our annual turnover. Those are our primary income streams.

Ben: I would say that mainstream rap tends to promote violence more than mainstream metal these days.

Ephesos: I'm very fond of Relient K's music too. There's getting to be more and more artists who are crossing the boundary between the "Christian" and "Secular" markets (I would say it's because the boundary is mostly artificial anyway, but never mind that). There's always several mentioned in every "Name Your Favourite Song" thread. In addition there are artists who are devout Christians and write music about their faith, but have never stepped into the Christian Music industry. Some of them, like Keith Urban, U2, and Sufjan Stevens, have become very successful within their respective genres.

And yeah, I get annoyed by nearly all preaching programs too. I'm living in hope that we will one day be able to split our programming.

[ Saturday, February 18, 2006 14:12: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

And I wholeheartedly agree with Alo's "Message rarely trumps aesthetics"... some music would honestly be better without the lyrics, or would work just as well with gibberish for lyrics.
I take it you're a fan of Sigur Ros, then?

quote:
But then again, that goes for anybody of any group who thinks that they're right and nobody else is.
Are there very many philosophies devoted to the idea that they're wrong and somebody else is right? :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

I take it you're a fan of Sigur Ros, then?
Actually, no. I keep hearing the name, but I've never heard the music...

quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Are there very many philosophies devoted to the idea that they're wrong and somebody else is right? :P
That would be an interesting cult.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #24
Ooh, tricky. If your philosophy is that you are wrong and you ARE wrong...

Now my head hurts.

--------------------

Pages