"expand their horizons?"

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: "expand their horizons?"
Apprentice
Member # 6787
Profile #0
I was wondering, what if spiderweb were to work on a game that wasn't strictly a 16 bit rpg. Maybe they could create some kind of online game, or just play around with some other genres. Just thinking... post your thoughts!

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 11 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=fOMFHiqWZopb"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=fOMFHiqWZopb"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
"I come for the chugga... but I stay for the wiggy wugga."-Cheerleader
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #1
Y'know, "16 bit RPG" really doesn't apply here. The PC architecture that all of Spidweb's latest games are designed for is 32 bits. :P
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
Surprise me you do, Imban. Reply to an endlessly used and reused topic, you do. Yet lock it, you do not?

Apologies for the Yoda thing. I use tired gimmicks whenever I'm half asleep.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #3
If I had a penny...

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #4
...you'd probably have about 25 cents. :P
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
He'd have one cent, actually. That's the value of a penny. Now if he had a penny for every time this topic came up...

Jeff Vogel once touched on this very subject in an interview. His perspective was that it would be fun and interesting to step out of the RPG niche, but it would also be stepping into the territory of unfamiliar design, unfamiliar programming, and a search for a new market. Spiderweb follows the path of least resistance for most sales, and that's RPGs.

He mentioned the online games very, very recently in a thread here. In a word, no.

—Alorael, who can't say he's terribly disappointed. Unlike RPGs, most other genres do benefit significantly from higher end design. Turn-based strategy is the only other genre in which independent programmers and designers don't start from a large disadvantage.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #6
This had been mentioned before and as was once said they costs of maintaining a server are tremendous.Plus the type of games Jeff makes aren't suitable for online gameplay and he will never do it differently.

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #7
I was lazy and was just getting you guys to explain it for me.