Hanged?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Hanged?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #100
The way you've translated it, that passage almost reads as if homosexuality was the punishment for their sins rather than being the sin itself.

(Still not exactly a liberal interpretation, but certainly a different one.)

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #101
You know, it occurs to me that a Greek reader might have had a visceral response to the idea of a man feeling desire for another man, because that was often thought mildly improper. After all, for most Greeks, it was most proper for a man to feel desire for young boys, not full-grown men.

Thuryl: Yeah. Well, if you're not gay, but you're forced into having same-sex intercourse, it's pretty unpleasant. That's sort of the sense that I'm getting out of this passage.

[ Friday, February 17, 2006 19:58: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #102
Ah... Graeculi.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #103
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

The way you've translated it, that passage almost reads as if homosexuality was the punishment for their sins rather than being the sin itself.
A generally very conservative evangelical Anglican priest I know, who teaches theology (or something related, anyway) at a Catholic university, has made essentially Kelandon's analysis of the original text, and drawn precisely the above interpretation. Other professional theologians make different interpretations, of course, but he is by no means an isolated wacko. He's a pretty mainstream guy, well known in evangelical academic circles.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #104
hey everybody

anyone hear hate george bush
I DO!!!!!

besides
if you want an idea of what the world would be like without war
read the book by richard bach ONE

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Wednesday, December 14 2005 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #105
Arghhhhhhhhh, this topic has moved on. Quite some time ago, in fact. GWB is at best minimally involved in anything that's being discussed.

Please read the topic before you post next time.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #106
The SICTG™ was so dearly hoping that Arghhhhhhhhh would return.

:D

The magical happy graemlin will show you what that means.

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #107
quote:
Originally written by arghhhhhhhhh:

anyone hear hate george bush
I DO!!!!!

At least we have that in common. :P

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #108
With all due respect, arghhhhhhhhh's title, while often appropriate, isn't very inventive.

Dikiyoba.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #109
I hear George Bush hate. Does that count?

quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

With all due respect, arghhhhhhhhh's title, while often appropriate, isn't very inventive.

Dikiyoba.

His title should be "Why did you kick me?"

[ Saturday, February 18, 2006 15:12: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #110
I think it's perfect.

I read his post. I go, "arghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

EDIT: Title slightly enhanced. We aim to please.

[ Saturday, February 18, 2006 15:45: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #111
In that case, it should probably be adopted as the standard post count-based title for new members. Or, possibly everyone.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #112
Originally by Synergy:

quote:
Title slightly enhanced. We aim to please.
Title enhancement appreciated. It's perfect now. Now Dikiyoba can only wait to see if I_am_a_Minotaur shows up in the Geneforge forum talking about drakons again.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #113
I hear many things, but since the thread of posted voices I haven't heard any Spiderweb forum things.

—Alorael, who knows of little that injects life into a thread like a underappreciated, content-free tangent.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 59
Profile #114
quote:
Originally written by Stripper of Sanity:

—Alorael, who would look at sexual dimorphism in other primates for an understanding of humans. If primates closely related to humans tend to have behaviors determined by gender, it's a fair bet that human behavior was also determined by gender and that brains evolved for those tasks along gender lines. Even if only humans culturally separated tasks but did it a long time ago different abilities could have developed.
Animal kingdom analogies tell very little. Different ape species have different family structures, for example. The bonobos (wiki) are promiscuous, but this is less widely known than that gorilla alpha males have harems. Apes have culture, too, as was seen in one amusing example of baboon males becoming less violent. Overall, I'd rather look at differences between human cultures, because ape cultures are more primitive and we happen to be humans. If chimp males were better at tool use than chimp females, does that mean women can't be programmers? A typical Afghan man probably has much less in common with me concerning views on marriage than a Swedish woman has, for example.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #115
Time to delve into Leviticus, yay! (Or not yay, depending on whether you like boring yourself to death.)

Many people will claim that this means nothing anymore (in reference to the homosexuality argument), but they're absolutely wrong. The section that contains the many "thou shalt not's" (including thou shalt not lie as man with man, is it chapter 26? meh) is in there primarily to direct Hebrew behavior away from the practices of the Canaanite tribes around them. The people in and around Isrealite territory were doing everything that this section forbids, and A LOT OF IT (mention: sodom). The god who told them not to lie with the same sex and not to wear two different kinds of fabrics (anyone up for an interpetive investigation of the text around that verse?) is the same god who claimed to die as punishment for all our sins.

One thing I like to point out is that the "thou shalt not" forbidding homosexuality among men is the only "thou shalt not" (i think) that ends with "that is detestable". I find that humorous.

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #116
We've been over that verse before, and although I can't speak for the Hebrew directly, I can say that the best authorities I've heard on it indicate that it's not exactly phrased clearly. This is what I've heard before:

The "detestable" word at the end ("abomination" in the KJV) is an over-translation. The word simply means "ritually unclean" (for which the solution is a bath, and honestly, bathing after any sort of intercourse is not a bad idea).

The verse itself seems to indicate, literally, that a man should not lie with another man in a woman's bed. Explaining this away as forbidding same-sex intercourse is possible, but by no means the only possibility.

Which brings me back to my main point, which is that it's certainly possible to interpret several lines in the Bible as condemning same-sex intercourse, but it's definitely not easy to demonstrate that they necessarily do.

[ Monday, February 20, 2006 16:29: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #117
Who are your best authorities?

EDIT: And the idea that homosexuality was forbidden in order to keep the population from dying off is completely ridiculous. There wouldn't ever be enough of it to bring the population down to dangerous levels.

[ Tuesday, February 21, 2006 16:43: Message edited by: Desert Pl@h ]

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck

Pages