Spiderweb Forums XML Feed

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Spiderweb Forums XML Feed
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #0
Once you get to the point where you study, have a full-time job, and are a perennial member of a round dozen or so web boards, you'll usually find you are a bit short on time. Online news sources came up with a clever way to save time checking sites for new content: They publish their latest updates as an XML feed that can be read by any number of feed readers - which automatically alert you when new things are published.

I figured something like this might be useful for Spiderweb, which sadly lacks an "email subscription" feature that other systems like Invision Power and phpBB have. So I made a small script this afternoon that reads the "daily topics" list and generates an atom-formatted xml feed.

It's quite rudimentary, and could use some additional features, but the xml appears to validate. You can enter this url into any reader that understands Atom. (For RSS, try FeedBurner)

---

Additional options:

Adding the parameter "forum=..." will get only the latest post from that forum. Adding "topic=..." will display only updates to the given topic.

Example: http://www.ermarian.net/stats/feed.php?forum=1&topic=2705
will only show replies to the Mountain of Shadows (#2705 in General).

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #1
Nice, but I'm not the type to subscribe to topics. If I don't have time, I only visit the more quiet sites. :P

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
That's what I'd have said two years ago, when I was in highschool and had only about 4-5 sites to check regularly. :P The trouble is that it's not the "active" sites that take your time, it's lots and lots of the quiet ones (and I've already dropped many of them to free up time...).

--------------------
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #3
I think I could use this. I'm really only making this reply in order to test it.

Hmm. How often does it update? I'm not seeing any articles.

[ Monday, February 13, 2006 05:19: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
Are you using a feed aggregator, or viewing it in a browser? There should definitely be *some* articles (possibly it's not compatible, in which case perhaps the Feedburner RSS one works...). Here's a list of the aggregators that I've successfully tested it with:

- Firefox Live Bookmark
- Thunderbird RSS Reader
- Google Desktop "Webclips"

Here's a list of readers that apparently can't use it (unknown error, definitely no validation problem however):

- The Google "Personalized Home" panel
- Bloglines
- Bloglet(?)

The feed is updated every time you view it if the latest post is over 5 minutes old. Since the active topics page doesn't display any dates, I use the date at which they are grabbed by the script.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 125
Profile #5
I don't see any articles when viewing it in Safari 2.0.3.

This sounds like a really cool idea, though it could lead to me wasting even more time here...

edit: I guess that your last post might imply that browsers are broken and you already know about it. This post could still theoretically be useful, I suppose.

[ Monday, February 13, 2006 06:35: Message edited by: Croikle ]

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
No, I mean that viewing it in a browser is the only sure way to get out errors - since the browser usually does not try to parse the xml in any way.

To be absolutely sure, try this URL:

http://www.ermarian.net/stats/feed.php

And use whatever option equates to "View Source". If that displays a text starting with "<?xml ... something", then the problem lies with the browser trying to parse it. If not, then the feed doesn't load correctly. Have you tried loading other pages on ermarian.net?

Edit: There are some problems with special characters like [TM] and Alo's m-dash. I'll try to fix this later. :rolleyes:

[ Monday, February 13, 2006 07:46: Message edited by: Arancaytar the Grey ]

--------------------
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #7
This is useful. Thanks, Aran!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #8
I'm not a techie, so forgive me if this is a moronic question. Could this be used for audio files?

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.