Macbook Pro

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Macbook Pro
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #0
$2000
15.4" 1440x900 display, as bright as a Cinema Display
X1600 Mobility gpu, 128 megs
1.67GHz Core Duo (that's Intel's new and sweet dual-core processor)
667 MHz FSB
512 megs RAM, supporting 2 gigs
80 gig, 5400 rpm drive
Superdrive
1 Firewire 400, 2 USB 2.0, NO Firewire 800
Airport Express, Bluetooh 2.0+, Gig Ethernet
Digital/optical line-in/line-out
built-in mic and iSight
1x14.1x9.6 inches, 5.6 pounds
No mention of battery life (though it's 60 watt-hours)
Cool magnetic-retention powercord

What do you think?

I think it's going to be an awesomely powerful laptop that retains the greatness of an Apple computer. However, the absence of battery life info makes me leery, and I wish they offered multiple sizes (not that it particularly matters for me right now, as I'm probably gonna keep my 12" until I'm out of college in 3.5 years).

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
Originally written by SNM:

$2000
15.4" 1440x900 display, as bright as a Cinema Display
X1600 Mobility gpu, 128 megs
667 MHz FSB
512 megs RAM, supporting 2 gigs
80 gig, 5400 rpm drive
Superdrive
1 Firewire 400, 2 USB 2.0, NO Firewire 800
Airport Express, Bluetooh 2.0+, Gig Ethernet
Digital/optical line-in/line-out
built-in mic and iSight
1x14.1x9.6 inches, 5.6 pounds
No mention of battery life (though it's 60 watt-hours)
Cool magnetic-retention powercord

What do you think?

I think it's going to be an awesomely powerful laptop that retains the greatness of an Apple computer. However, the absence of battery life info makes me leery, and I wish they offered multiple sizes (not that it particularly matters for me right now, as I'm probably gonna keep my 12" until I'm out of college in 3.5 years).

tl,dr

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #2
Ummm...huh?

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #3
Stats are boring. Buy something that does what you need done. Knowing the inside junk is superfluous if the thing satisfies your needs.

*this message sponsored by bt and db*

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Warrior
Member # 6234
Profile #4
First of all, as a piece of advice, go to your local (Mac)dealer and get informed well. New models, a bit older models, occasions, Macs with discount... ALso, look at the free discspace and stuff, but according to what you've shown in your post, that's not a problem. Maybe you've already been informed well, and you've chosen this Mac. Then think about the price, cause it's a reasonable amount of money. You can always try to get a bit of the price, it's always good to try ;) . If it doesn't work, buy it for that price, if you're able to get of some cash, or get some free extras, it's always nice :) . If you are sure this is what you want, you should buy it.

--------------------
There are 400 words in the dictionary that begin with "self" and only 8 that begin with "fellow".

When in doubt. . . mumble.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #5
quote:

While it may be a dual-core chip, it's not really all that fast. I would never go under 2 GHz. I can finally talk about and understand Macintosh processor specs now that they're going Intel. Even though they should be using AMD chips, which are much better than Intel in my opinion.

[ Tuesday, January 10, 2006 11:17: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #6
Okay, first of all: I'm not looking to buy this computer. It's Apple's newest laptop and just announced today, folks. ;)

Tyranicus: Yonah has a far different performance standard than a P4; it's actually a decent chip. The 2 GHz version is roughly on par with an X2 3800+. And my 3200+ desktop is certainly more powerful than I need it to be (though I admittedly don't do any video editing or modeling).

[ Tuesday, January 10, 2006 16:14: Message edited by: SNM ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #7
quote:

TM: Yonah has a far different performance standard than a P4
Did you just call me TM? Wow, I'm not sure whether to be insulted or not.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
I think there's something in the Mac psyche that opposes large numbers on processors. Apple will avoid having real equivalence in the hertz department for as long as possible.

—Alorael, who was nonplussed by the fact that one of the new models is 1.67 Ghz, just like the latest in PowerBooks. According to the old processor translations, that would mean that Apple made a new computer slower than older computers. Fortunately, the benchmark comparison loudly and omnipresently proclaims this to be false.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #9
tl, dr is such an affront to all tech geeks who love stats.

Anyway, you shouldn't care too much about that clock speed because it is not a P4. It should have enough power for any common laptop applications, and for some games. But it is from Apple, and from a PC point of view, $2000 could buy you more. After all, the screen size is entry-level.

The dual core prospect is still appealing, though. Would you buy this from an Apple store or online?

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

quote:

TM: Yonah has a far different performance standard than a P4
Did you just call me TM? Wow, I'm not sure whether to be insulted or not.

Umm...no, no! Of course not! :eek:
Sorry. :(

--------------------