In the making.....

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: In the making.....
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #25
"Tyranicus" is an acceptably Greco-Roman name. "Tyrant" is the descendant (through French and Latin) of a Greek word for a dictator. The "-icus" ending is a common one in Latin, "signifying belonging to,connected with" according to my grammar book.

The proper Latin word was "tyrannus," though, so the actual Latin adjective was "tyrannicus," with a double N.

I'm not aware of how possible this is, but I can imagine a situation in which a Roman citizen performed extremely admirably as a temporary dictator in defeating an invading force (one of the uses of the official post of "dictator," more or less equivalent to the Greek "tyrant") and got the cognomen "Tyrannicus" as an honor from the Senate afterwards.

EDIT: You know, I should clarify something. The powers of a dictator and a tyrant were more or less the same, but the positions themselves were extremely different. A tyrant was (in theory) in office for life. A dictator was supposed to step down after the emergency was over.

[ Sunday, January 01, 2006 18:38: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #26
As much as I love this discussion of the etymology of my name, I feel the need to point out that it came about one night after consuming copious amounts of caffeine. I sat down to play Baldur's Gate for the first time and decided that I needed to come up with a cool name for my character. After a few minutes of brain-racking, I got Tyranicus, and have used it for every RPG since.

Aran, (Have I been here long enough to address you as Aran? I'm not quite sure of my message board etiquette.)while Tyranicus may not be a proper medieval name, it's certainly a lot closer than any l33tspeak name. Also, I wasn't going for a traditional medieval name. I was going for the kind of name you encounter in an epic fantasy novel, and I think Tyranicus fits that criterion just fine.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

Aran, (Have I been here long enough to address you as Aran? I'm not quite sure of my message board etiquette.)
It's not a case of being here long enough, its whether or not you know who Aran is. You can call anyone their shortened name.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #28
Any novel that used Tyranicus in neither a tongue-in-cheek manner nor due to a process analogous to the one Kel outlined has gotten mislaid on the way to epic and lodged firmly in camp at best and disaster at worst.

—Alorael, who will at least give it the credit of involving no unnecessary apostrophes, unpronounceable consonant combinations, or deliberately opaque vowels. A does not go before E unless you have a good excuse, like received spelling.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00

Pages