Creating a web server from scratch!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Creating a web server from scratch!
Apprentice
Member # 6406
Profile Homepage #0
G'day peoples, long time no log in! I'm trying to create a web server from the very beginning and said to myself "why don't I put it to some of the Tech Heads at my local message board". So here's the scoop: I have no clue where to start only what i've just researched on the net and there are so much to filter through......

--------------------
jackoooo
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
What is it that you are trying to make "from scratch"?

Do you want to build a computer from separate hardware components? This will take much more time and money than buying one that is already built, and whether it will perform better (or even just as well depends on your choice of parts and your skill. Also, remember that no matter how good your computer is, or how much money you spent on its parts, the only one you can contact for tech support and maintainance will be yourself.

Or do you mean to get a readily built computer and set it up as a web server? I can tell you right now that the cost of maintaining it is extensive. If it runs around the clock (and, being a webserver, it has to), you'll notice this on your energy bill. Also, unless you already have some kind of high-speed internet connection (and DSL probably won't cut it), that will be expensive as well. The only way you can even begin to cover the costs is by renting out the space you don't use, and paid hosting is a full-time business.

So I should probably rather ask: What on Earth do you need a web server for? And why would you want to build one yourself? What do you wish to prove to yourself?

If you need something hosted, you can find dozens of companies that will give you a few GB for around $5 a month, or less. I'm finding it hard to imagine what you need hosted that that isn't enough for you.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #2
Good luck! Hope you have better luck than I've had with trying to design internet stuff...

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #3
What do you mean by "designing internet stuff"?

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4238
Profile #4
I assume he means he wants to write an HTTP server. It's actually a very simple protocol. Read the RFC. Grab netcat, listen on port 80, and see how your web browser makes requests by trying to connect to localhost.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
Well, of course, if you do want to reinvent the wheel I suppose it might be fun. :)

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4238
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by An array cat:

Well, of course, if you do want to reinvent the wheel I suppose it might be fun. :)
There are actually practical reasons to write a webserver. Take eMule for example; it has an optional web interface you can use.

For the hardcore CS geeks, it's also a fun way to interface with a toy OS if you don't want to write those pesky I/O drivers. :)