IMG Previews A4.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: IMG Previews A4.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #0
A4

A few new screen-shots too.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Warrior
Member # 4414
Profile Homepage #1
"....a plot of vengeance hatched by some of the oldest creatures in Avernum..."

I have a sneaking suspicion regarding the Vahnatai.

Of course, it would be cool if it was something unexpected, like the Slithzerikai, who have been happily joining our parties since Exile 2. It could be any number of things. I'm just really, really hoping it's not the Vahnatai (or demons, either), because it would be a shame if such a vague fragment of a sentence could be considered a spoiler. Really, what else comes to mind at that phrase? Did "Vahnatai" instantly pop into anyone else's head?

--------------------
AIM/Yahoo IM: Cavanoskus

Scary artwork and Bad Poetry
The Wildlife Research Team
SnakeNetMetalRadio

"We, who are about to die, salute you."
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #2
That's what instantly came to mind for me. It would be cool if it looked like the vahnatai were evil at first, but then it turned out that the evil creatures were something else.

</leetness>

[ Monday, November 21, 2005 13:28: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #3
I thought of the Dragons when I read it.

--------------------
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #4
Dragons sound likely, what with one of the earlier screenshots being in the ruins of one of their lairs.

Still, all that said, I hope it's not dragons but something we've never seen before. Some ancient race that's never been encountered till now.

Unlikely, though. <sigh> My money's on the dragons too.

Ah well. It's not the end of the world. That's not due for a few months yet.

EDIT: Wowzers:

http://www.insidemacgames.com/info.php?ID=899

Apparently, Avernum 4 doesn't work in Classic. Good thing I upgraded to OS X earlier this year...

EDIT #2: That nephil graphic looks pretty good, doesn't it? :D Gotta love those kitties.

(Not the portrait, mind you, but the graphic of the little guy running around on the screen weilding a bow.)

[ Monday, November 21, 2005 15:37: Message edited by: Icshi ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
Following the ancient logic of the Spiderweb games that whenever it's not other humans that are the villains, it's the Vahnatai, "suspicion" is probably no longer the right word.

The Vahnatai did it. Who else? :rolleyes:

Although remember that while Jeff Vogel evidently has at least semi-endorsed Drakey's theories on the Vahnatai, we don't know if that extends to Creationism. Are they actually the oldest creatures in the game canon itself?

quote:
To be quite honest, I had a very mixed reaction when I booted up Avernum 4 for the first time. While I was excited to get a chance to play the next Spiderweb game, I had been hoping that the game would use the real-time engine of the Geneforge series. Contrary to my desires, the game is much more of a mixture between the classic Avernum games, and while the game engine is essentially the Geneforge engine, it also has the standard Avernum turn-based gameplay grafted onto it.
Thank Goodness.

quote:
Avernum 4's system is an amalgamation of the Avernum totally turn-based system, and Geneforge's point-and-click navigation. Although every character movement is treated by the engine as a "turn" (and thus other characters move simultaneously with you, and the game is essentially paused if you are not moving), you navigate by clicking on the spot you want your party to move to. This simple interface change gives the game a completely different feel than the past Avernum games, and makes the turn-based system much more accessible and fun.
I have the strong feeling that I'm going to disagree once the game is out.

[ Monday, November 21, 2005 15:41: Message edited by: NaNoWriMo ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
It mentions the top two interface changes: a seamless world — as has been noted before — and the "unconscious" innovation, which I think hadn't been mentioned yet. This is a huge change, and I like it quite a lot.

The shades in the towns are also a very interesting (and different) touch.

But I find the recycled graphics kind of annoying, and I hope as many of them as possible are filtered out before release.

EDIT: I admit that I was annoyed at the movement system at first, but you get used to it. If you've never played GF, it may take a little longer to get accustomed to, but even then, I think you'll find it acceptable.

[ Monday, November 21, 2005 15:43: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
Vahnatai creationism explicitly excludes the dragons. Gazers may be in a category of their own as well. This is not a spoiler.

—Alorael, who still has to put the touches on his alternative theory of intelligent design by Richard White. It's internally consistent except when it isn't.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #8
Avernum 4 does run in Mac OS 9 as well as OS X. I've been testing it in 9.2.2 with fine results. Point and click movement is very useful, as there is more ground to traverse with no more outdoors. You'll use it a lot. You can still move with the keypad as usual.

The general statement I would make about A4 is that Jeff appears to have gone to lengths to streamline gameplay and to remove or alter almost every previously annoying and awkward factor—not having to resurrect "dead" characters with balms or healers any longer is but one example.

What's with IMG saying it's a 2006 release now?

--------------------
A4 Items List A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List G4 Insidious Infiltrator NR Items List
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Eimp:

Vahnatai creationism explicitly excludes the dragons. Gazers may be in a category of their own as well. This is not a spoiler.

—Alorael, who still has to put the touches on his alternative theory of intelligent design by Richard White. It's internally consistent except when it isn't.

Yeah, but who ever heard of a vengeance plot hatched by gazers? That would be like... a goblin vendetta, only more powerful cannon fodder.

Now, the Slitherikai revenging themselves on Avernum for... uh... for whatever half-cooked reason Jeff invented for it would be a bit less uncool. Depends on the reason, however.

--------------------
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Eimp:

Alorael, who still has to put the touches on his alternative theory of intelligent design by Richard White. It's internally consistent except when it isn't.
And which is intelligent except when it isn't. And not so much "designed" as "cobbled together" and "plagarized from the previous universe."
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Synergy67:

Avernum 4 does run in Mac OS 9 as well as OS X. I've been testing it in 9.2.2 with fine results.
That's very good to hear. I know a lot of Spiderweb customers are still using OS 9, and was rather taken aback by this website reporting that it wouldn't work in 9, which would therefore make it impossible for a significant portion of his customer base to play.

quote:
Point and click movement is very useful, as there is more ground to traverse with no more outdoors. You'll use it a lot. You can still move with the keypad as usual.
That's also good to hear! I'm very much a keyboard person when it comes to games. I was distressed by the idea that movement in A4 would be like in Geneforge, all done by mouse.

quote:
not having to resurrect "dead" characters with balms or healers any longer is but one example.
That is an interesting change, but one that won't affect people who "cheat" like me. I.e., when a character dies in a battle we just load the most recently saved game and try again. Maybe I won't do that anymore in A4.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #12
Now that "dead" (unconscious) characters are revived upon entering a town, I often play out fights and dungeons with less than my full party, enjoying the challenge to see how far I can get or if I can escape with at least once PC alive. So, in that sense, it encourages less cheating.

When I first came to SW, one aspect of the Avernums I didn't like was dying and resurrection. If resurrection is truly possible, then anyone dead, like Garzhad or Erika or the assassinated Emperor should be able to return at any time. Why should an average band of adventurers have the ability to readily resurrect themselves when the greatest mages and leaders are dead once killed? That and the fact that it simply inspires lots of reloading because it's such a bother to resurrect the dead (especially early on when you might not even be able to afford it).

--------------------
A4 Items List A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List G4 Insidious Infiltrator NR Items List
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #13
I am going to get in big trouble for blabbing this, but people are bound to find out sooner or later seeing as the game is almost out and I really want to be the first to say this...

But the enemy behind the happenings in Avernum 4 is not who anybody here thinks it is.

IT IS THE GIANT FRIENDLY SPIDERS!

No really, it is. No, I am not joking. I am probably going to lose my status as a beta tester for blabbing, but it's worth it.

All of their bugs got killed off in all of the previous adventures, and they want revenge for losing all their tasty yummy treats. People are no longer cute, and they no longer say "HI!" in a cute chirpy voice.

Beware of the Giant Silvarian Face Leaping Spiders... I don't know what Jeff was thinking, but he gave them quick action, the blademaster ability, and they get eight attacks each round. I guess his reasoning was one attack for each leg.

Or the Ass Biting Almarian Arachnid. Those are pretty bad too. All of the beta testers will agree on that if you can get them to talk.

You will look upon the Spider Queen and know dispair.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #14
It seems that now A4 is basically on the verge of release, Jeff would be ready to reveal his next project. A5?

--------------------
-ben4808
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #15
It sounds like Jeff has put his work into making sure players can just go and beat up stuff without worrying about the story & characters rather than trying to improve them.

In a way, I can respect that. He's now trying to simply make mindlessly fun games that are good mindless fun. While I'd prefer to see something with real artistic value, it's certainly true that good drama and good gameplay have a tendency to get in the way of each other, and I can't really fault him for deciding to go with the one and do it properly at the expense of the other.

But dammit, why can't more people make games like Traffic Department 2192? :(

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #16
I'm sure the plot is strong too.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6493
Profile #17
Heh, the Giant Friendly Spiders thing isn't really very easy to believe. No offense.

I don't really think that the whole "Reload once a PC dies" thing is cheating. I do it ALL the time. Ressurection isn't worth it, in my opinion, mostly because you lose all the items you previously had.

I hope the people behind this aren't the Vahnatai again, as that isn't really a deep plot. I like the Vahnatai, and want to kill something other than them. Though, if it really IS giant "friendly" spiders, I wouldn't have a problem with that.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #18
You know, it's just not the same reading these previews anymore... betatesting kind of kills the fun of anticipation.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #19
We ALL normally reload when a character dies. The interesting thing about A4 is that you don't have to anymore. Now I try to finish the fight if at all possible and then retreat to a friendly town, whereas before it was an automatic reload.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 6493
Profile #20
So, basically, the only disadvantage to dying is that the party loses any advantage that PC had until it gets revived? That would be nice...

PS, you live in the same city I do. Lolz.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #21
You will be a believer when you see the Eight Legged Fiesty Slap of Pain from the Spider Monks.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #22
How does the non-death thing affect XP?

[ Monday, November 21, 2005 22:04: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #23
I hope there will be some experience penalty at least; otherwise there is just no penalty at all to a character death. It'd be like those ridiculous "respawns" you see in FPS games.

Of course, getting away from an enemy when the majority of your party has already kicked it might prove a bit of a challenge, given the "seamless" world that should allow the monsters to follow you home.

Except they probably stop following you once you get to the next area.

Ah well.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #24
Actually, I'm not sure. I assumed without any evidence that dead characters got no experience, but that may not be true. They may get experience, they may not get experience but still cause the party to get only 1/4 of the total each (for a total of 3/4), or a party of four with three dead may end up giving that survivor a lot of experience. I'll look into that.

The Silvarian Face Leaping Spider is not nearly as terrifying as the Formellan Face Leaping Spider. You have been warned.

I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to say you get some insight into the world of Gazers in A4. It made me happy.

—Alorael, who still rarely ends up walking around with less than a full complement of adventurers. Most threats able to take out one party member are then able to take out the rest. The only real exception is attacks from behind that kill the spellcasters.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00

Pages