Mac OS X

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Mac OS X
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, emperor of Riverrod:

God. My nostalgia is growing freeky. I should stop it, but I can't seem to stop loving the computer that had served me without any problems for the last five years. Sorry, about six.
Goddamn, just buy a woman already.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 6471
Profile #26
I currently have had this PC for 5 years and am seriously considering buying an iMac G5 in the next few weeks as a replacement. Any advice?
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Shingai no Junkyousha:

quote:

God. My nostalgia is growing freeky. I should stop it, but I can't seem to stop loving the computer that had served me without any problems for the last five years. Sorry, about six.
Goddamn, just buy a woman already.

that's exactly what my mother tells me to do since I became ten (to make it clear, I'm not ten now).

About buying the Imac G5: My advice is always: Buy the Mac!

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Apprentice
Member # 6471
Profile #28
Some more information could help, like pros and cons?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #29
Well, if you switch from Windows to Mac, do keep in mind that you'll have to change over a lot of software as well. If you want to use Microsoft Office, for example, you'll have to buy it for your Mac. (Alternatively, you could switch to using AppleWorks or OpenOffice, both of which are mostly capable of opening Microsoft Office files. AppleWorks comes with the computer and OpenOffice is freely available for download, so neither costs you anything over and above the cost of the computer.)

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #30
Could somebody give a link to where to dowload open office? many people say its better then Microsoft office. I'd like to try it.

I can;t give you any pros or cons, but I suggets you go to the website of apple, and read about this computer. Click here for a link to the site with all the info about the Imac G5.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #31
quote:

Could somebody give a link to where to dowload open office?
http://www.openoffice.org/

Or, for a version that runs natively in OS X, try http://www.neooffice.org/

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #32
Thanks, Thuryl. Which download should I take for OS 9? Or isn't there one? What is Solaris for an OS? I never heard of it.

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #33
For OS 9? No, there's no way to run OpenOffice on OS 9 -- there's no native OS 9 version of OpenOffice, and there's no OS 9 implementation of Xwindows. For heaven's sake, just upgrade already.

As for Solaris, it's a Unix variant developed by Sun Microsystems. It's fairly commonly used for servers.

[ Saturday, November 12, 2005 02:18: Message edited by: Cubic Zirconia Cattle Wrangler ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #34
quote:
Originally written by Cubic Zirconia Cattle Wrangler:

For OS 9? No, there's no way to run OpenOffice on OS 9 -- there's no native OS 9 version of OpenOffice, and there's no OS 9 implementation of Xwindows. For heaven's sake, just upgrade already.

I'll use the windows version then (which I already installed). And please, try to live with the fact that not everybody has Os X, okay? How could I know that there is no OS 9 variant? I couldn't. I probably will upgrade, but the money will only be released by the bank in July, so just live with the idea for now.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #35
Generally, software developed in the last few years doesn't run on OS 9. People mean OS X when they say Mac now. The obvious solution is to go to the website and see if it mentions OS 9 or only OS X. Most sites will say.

—Alorael, who is much more irritated by software that doesn't have any obvious OS requirements listed. That usually means Windows only, but it would be nice to have that stated explicitly.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #36
on the topic of mac operating systems when avernum 4 came out would it be possible to have some kind of virtual mac sorta like an emulator except legal

--------------------
Visit the RIFQ Forums
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #37
Macintosh emulators do exist. However, most of them emulate fairly old computer models; I'm not aware of any that would be able to run Avernum 4.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #38
There are two apparently good emulators , Sheepsaver and Mac-on-Linux, for Linux. I don't know of anything effective for Windows.

—Alorael, who also hasn't looked too hard. It's not exactly something useful to him.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #39
It's actually SheepShaver.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!

Pages