Good free full lenght games

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Good free full lenght games
Apprentice
Member # 6406
Profile Homepage #0
I'm a recent new comer to the net, and have yet to find a proper full length game, such as Ricochet lost worlds,

--------------------
jackoooo
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #1
It may be me, but I have the impression that your post contains only the first sentence of an enormous post. In other words, its not complete.

btw, are you Dutch? That username must be Dutch.

--------------------
"remember, children, that chickens are your friends. you must only eat them when you've the appropriate oven and gardening supplies."- As said by Benjamin van Soldt himself.

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
Most people from Ireland aren't Dutch.

As for the topic of this thread, well, you get what you pay for. There are only a handful of good games which can legally be obtained for free.

[ Thursday, October 20, 2005 04:55: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #3
How can I know he is irish. Were does it say that?

EDIT: Stupid. Yes he is Irish. Saw it now too. Still, that username... never mind.

[ Thursday, October 20, 2005 07:18: Message edited by: Thralni, emperor of Riverrod ]

--------------------
"remember, children, that chickens are your friends. you must only eat them when you've the appropriate oven and gardening supplies."- As said by Benjamin van Soldt himself.

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
Apprentice
Member # 6377
Profile #4
http://www.americasarmy.com (This is absolutely not an RPG its a FPS....but its free)
Shock Trooper
Member # 5969
Profile #5
You can download "abandonware" games (games that were discontinued by their... publisher? whatever they're called, LOL... and have become public domain) for Macs at some site called Mac Garden... I don't know what the exact URL is, but Google will probably come up with it.

--------------------
A C, an E flat, and a G walk into the Tower of the Magi.
Ambrin runs up to them and says, "Hey, look! It's the Triad!"
Kelner snorts and says "Pretty minor Triad if you ask me."
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #6
wouldnt this topic make more sense in "general" not "tech support" ?

--------------------
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
Apparently a moderator thought so as well.

ADOM is an unbelievably wonderful/addictive RPG, and it's 100% freeware.

Side note: Good stories take devotion, but graphics take money. A devoted programmer is more likely to offer free games than a developer (or a studio) who already invested in graphics. Still, TANSTAAFL. ;)

NetStorm is a very fun and somewhat unconventional strategy game. (Unconventional in that practically all units are immobile, requiring a very different strategy from other games.)

[ Saturday, October 22, 2005 02:04: Message edited by: Atrus ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Apprentice
Member # 5739
Profile #8
im dutch :D
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

There are only a handful of good games which can legally be obtained for free.
The key word being illegal. Not that I would ever encourage stealing...

Actually, abandonware games are more and more available, and there's always the ones with rubbishy graphics like Aran suggested. ADOM is good, despite the ugliness of it.

A Google search, or ZDNET.com should throw some good 'uns up.

--------------------
Everybody knows, but nobody understands.

Thus endeth this post.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
Abandonware isn't legal. A copyright is not released into the public domain until it's explicitly released into the public domain by the copyright holder, or until a very long time after the death of the copyright holder (usually around 50 to 100 years, depending on where the copyright holder lived.) The fact that the copyright holder has stopped selling or supporting the product does not mean that it's legal to acquire it from another source. "What you can get away with" is not equivalent to "legal".

Just so you know.

(Obviously, there are a couple of exceptions where the copyright holder has released the copyright, such as Ultima IV or Star Control II. Those games are perfectly legal to acquire wherever you can find them. But they're exceptions, not the rule.)

[ Saturday, October 22, 2005 13:48: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
Huh. I was under the impression that "abandonware" was defined as software that the copyright holder had released into the public domain, not as software that was no longer supported or sold and therefore frequently pirated.

A quick search proves Thuryl right and me wrong, however, which leads to an obvious question: is there a one-word term to indicate software that was once sold for money and is now in the public domain; that is, if you will, the "legal abandonware"?

[ Saturday, October 22, 2005 15:30: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 1688
Profile #12
Commercial games are usually re-released as freeware.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
This site uses the term "liberated" to refer specifically to games which were once commercial and are now freely available.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #14
My bad. Thanks for that Thuyrl. ALthough I, like Kel, was under the impression abandonware was legal... hmmm.

Anyway, you can usually find great games (freeware and shareware mostly) on Compilation CD's from certain shops for free. For instance, I got a free CD at a local computer shop a while back with tetris clones, free ASCii RPG's and even a demo of Nethergate!

--------------------
Everybody knows, but nobody understands.

Thus endeth this post.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #15
ADOM (Ancient Domains of Mystery, the creation of a guy named Thomas Biskup) is a roguelike game. This means that its graphics are state of the art from 1975. They aren't just flat 2D; they're ASCII. Characters are just that. You fight letters and punctuation.

On the plus side, ADOM is mind-bogglingly complex and has inspired a cult following. It is perhaps the most extremely geek activity currently offered by planet Earth. Even if I had the vast spans of free time required for it, I don't think I'd really get into it. I'm not quite geek enough. But I say that a bit wistfully.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
I enjoy the ADOM-light of Angband. I consider it akin to playing Tetris in that you're really doomed and just seeing how long you can keep from getting buried in unbeatable odds.

Other than that, the games have no similarity whatsoever. Well, except longevity.

—Alorael, who did manage to win a game of Angband with only moderate cheating. He was so very proud of his Subject XLVII!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by The Retortionist:

I enjoy the ADOM-light of Angband. I consider it akin to playing Tetris in that you're really doomed and just seeing how long you can keep from getting buried in unbeatable odds.
Successful players never travel out of a depth where they're relatively safe, carry around multiple escape routes all the time and aren't afraid to use them. There's a reason why the Borg is infamous for being able to win by having an infinite capacity for boredom. :P

[ Monday, October 24, 2005 12:14: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #18
http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/gfw/
http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/5days/
http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/7days/

--------------------
Inconsistently backward.
SWOH. IM, PATF, ND.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5969
Profile #19
3 in Three: hands down, best freeware "Old Game" (made in 1989– it's older than I am! o_O) ever. http://www.fools-errand.com/03-in-three/

--------------------
A C, an E flat, and a G walk into the Tower of the Magi.
Ambrin runs up to them and says, "Hey, look! It's the Triad!"
Kelner snorts and says "Pretty minor Triad if you ask me."
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #20
try www.abandonia.com all games there where made freeware but are old "dos games" in other words the classics

--------------------
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

This site uses the term "liberated" to refer specifically to games which were once commercial and are now freely available.
When you see the word "liberated" in any context you should watch out. It makes me think of expressions like "surgical strike", "collateral damage" and "freedom fighters". :P

That said, the "legality" of abandonware is also a matter of what a producer can and will afford going to court over. A very grey zone.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin