CREATING A MESSAGE BOARD(NEED A HAND!!!)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: CREATING A MESSAGE BOARD(NEED A HAND!!!)
Apprentice
Member # 6406
Profile Homepage #0
G' day, can anybody tell me how to set up a message board, I,m making a web site using HTMl only for my college.

--------------------
jackoooo
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
A message board is a web application usually built in PHP, accessing a MySQL database. If you don't know whether either of these are enabled on your webspace, they probably aren't (since you mention using only HTML on your site, I guess you don't have PHP).

If you don't, you need a remote host. The best free forum host I have seen is InvisionFree. (There's another one called Proboards though).

Oh, and if anybody tells you about EzBoard, don't listen - they suck royally.

---

If you do have PHP/MySQL enabled, I suggest getting phpBB. It's free, easy to set up and easy to maintain.

[ Thursday, October 20, 2005 03:59: Message edited by: Atrus ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #2
This is really random, but thanks for posting this topic, as I've actually been thinking about that recently. One of my classes really needs something better than the junky system our school controls (which has no formatting, editing, not even multiple spaces). 'Tis annoying, to say the least...

And yes, ezBoard looked really sketchy...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Apprentice
Member # 5555
Profile #3
It is not merely sketchy, it is so fishy it stinks. They claim to make regular backups, but then mysteriously "lose" them when the system actually broke down. Either they didn't make any, or they stored them on the regular servers, which defeats the purpose of a backup.

Even on paid boards, they deliberately block certain words that you can't change - not harmless words like s*** or f***, but really awful ones like "description", which comes out as "de******ion" (apparently they don't like "script").
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #4
I've heard some bad things about InvisionFree, but if you want something totally free, it looks like your best option. However, if you are willing to pay for it, you shouldn't get paid versions of either ezboard or InvisionFree, because the quality is not that much better than the [low] quality of free versions.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
As a matter of fact, there's no such thing as a "paid InvisionFree forum". The only enhancement you can pay for is the removal of the ad banner.

However, there is a paid software named Invision Power Board (often confused with InvisionFree), which is what powers Polaris. I've worked with it, and it's very easy to maintain. The downside is the price. It's worth it if you already have a solid community, but for anyone else I'd recommend something free (phpBB for self-hosted sites, or InvisionFree). Boards come and boards die, and you'll regret it later when you have an expensive software package lying around that you have no use for.

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #6
HTML is only able to create static and generally uninteractive web pages. JavaScript can help if you know it, but a BBS with it might be a little clunky.

Yes, your best bet is probably Invision Free. Unless you want to make your own, but that takes a while. :P

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #7
I remember-- kindly, might I add-- a time when this sort of topic would be laughed off of the fora (if it wasn't locked first).

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 3870
Profile Homepage #8
When was this time, and why would it have been?

--------------------
"Toleration is not the opposite of intoleration, but is the counterfeit of it. Both are despotisms. The one assumes to itself the right of withholding liberty of conscience, and the other of granting it."
---Thomas Paine

Warrior
Member # 3870
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by ben ben:

JavaScript can help if you know it, but a BBS with it might be a little clunky.
"Clunky." "Might." A BBS in JavaScript. *wibble* :eek:

That said, a board could be made in Java or Flash (both are interpreted on the client side, so no server issues like with PHP), but it would not only be clunky and take more time to make than a real forum, but would be basically the equivalent of writing a text document with MS Paint. Possible, but... wrong.

--------------------
"Toleration is not the opposite of intoleration, but is the counterfeit of it. Both are despotisms. The one assumes to itself the right of withholding liberty of conscience, and the other of granting it."
---Thomas Paine

Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Albus Dumbledore:

quote:

JavaScript can help if you know it, but a BBS with it might be a little clunky.
"Clunky." "Might." A BBS in JavaScript. *wibble* :eek:

That said, a board could be made in Java or Flash (both are interpreted on the client side, so no server issues like with PHP), but it would not only be clunky and take more time to make than a real forum, but would be basically the equivalent of writing a text document with MS Paint. Possible, but... wrong.

Yes, but you need a server-side element for the message storage.

--------------------
Inconsistently backward.
SWOH. IM, PATF, ND.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #11
And also bollocks.

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
UA, Java can connect to a server-side storage. Runescape runs on this - one big Java applet.
Flash I have no idea about. But I remember several internet flash games with a highscore list stored on the server, which would imply that the game sent back some information to the server.

TM: We'd be laughing if he'd set it up and asked us to join it. There is irony in repetitive stupidity. :P
But right now, he's asking about the technical aspect, and apparently that's an interesting subject.

Edit: Corrected.

[ Thursday, October 27, 2005 00:43: Message edited by: Explode The Bandwagon Now ]

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
That's not chicho, that's UA.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
I am not sure how I made that mistake. I have a cold right now though and am awfully tired most of the time; that might explain it.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Noreni:

UA, Java can connect to a server-side storage. Runescape runs on this - one big Java applet.
Flash I have no idea about. But I remember several internet flash games with a highscore list stored on the server, which would imply that the game sent back some information to the server.

TM: We'd be laughing if he'd set it up and asked us to join it. There is irony in repetitive stupidity. :P
But right now, he's asking about the technical aspect, and apparently that's an interesting subject.

Edit: Corrected.

I'm perfectly aware of what Java/Flash can do, I'm simply saying that any host that doesn't support things like PHP has minimal chance of having ANY method of server side storage like so.

[ Thursday, October 27, 2005 09:31: Message edited by: Kakakaka ]

--------------------
Inconsistently backward.
SWOH. IM, PATF, ND.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #16
So in short, use PHP instead.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Kakakaka:

I'm perfectly aware of what Java/Flash can do, I'm simply saying that any host that doesn't support things like PHP has minimal chance of having ANY method of server side storage like so.
Point taken.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #18
quote:

Um. What?

a) his current host doesn't support PHP
b) A java/flash applet could compose an entire forum with a PHP backend, so I don't know what you mean by 'instead'

--------------------
Inconsistently backward.
SWOH. IM, PATF, ND.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5969
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by lightningmaster2016:

Even on paid boards, they deliberately block certain words that you can't change
I went to an ezboard once, and someone was debating something in some thread and made a reference to "my assertion".
It read "I disagreeertion." ><

--------------------
A C, an E flat, and a G walk into the Tower of the Magi.
Ambrin runs up to them and says, "Hey, look! It's the Triad!"
Kelner snorts and says "Pretty minor Triad if you ask me."
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Kakakaka:

quote:

Um. What?

a) his current host doesn't support PHP
b) A java/flash applet could compose an entire forum with a PHP backend, so I don't know what you mean by 'instead'

Never mind then. I was just trying to summarize the previous few arguments, however lame the summarization itself may have turned out. :P

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ