MLB Postseason

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: MLB Postseason
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #0
Seeing as there was a thread for the AFL finals back at the end of August, I thought it would be fitting to post a topic regarding the MLB playoffs in the U.S. Also, I haven't started a General thread in a while, and I thought I'd join in on the fun. (After all, if Thuryl can post alcohol-induced philosophical debates, I can indulge in some sports babble)

Simply put, who is destined for World Series greatness? My vote, as always, rests with the Cardinals. (EDIT: Don't say it. Just don't.)

World Series Matchup (as of Sunday the 24th):
-Houston Astros v. Chicago White Sox, Chicago leads series 2-0

(I thought about making a poll, but since the playoffs aren't all that long, and since two teams will be eliminated by the end of next week, a poll would be pretty much doomed due to inflexibility)

[ Sunday, October 23, 2005 18:41: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #1
Okay, How much did it suck the Yankees loss???. It was the most depressing game of my life. I wanted to hit Sheffield and Krosby on the face when they knock over each other (if you can call it that). And I have never hated A-Rod so much as I did after that double play.
It's not like I'm a Yankee fan because I live in New York. I've always been, and the one thing I was excited about living in the Bronx was being so closed to the Yankee Stadium, every year I have that little hope of watching the parade and those idiots just keep losing and losing. God, I don't even wanna talk about it, I get soooo mad.

But Anyways, If I must choose between the remaining teams, I'd like the White Sox to win. Yeah the Angels have more Dominican players and I like Vladimir and all but they beat the Yankees so I'm obligated to hate them.

[ Friday, October 14, 2005 23:01: Message edited by: Marlenny ]
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #2
As a Red Sox fan, I'm not that shocked that the Yanks bombed. They aren't a good team, and like the Sox had some pretty bad pitching problems.

As far as the rest, Chicago White Sox will win the world series in 6 games. maybe 5.

It is destiny.

Red Sox won in 1916.
White Sox won in 1917.
Red Sox again in 1918.

Nothing for 85 years except high hopes and dashed dreams.

Now the cycle begins anew, so put your wagers in now for the 2006 World Series.

Red Sox vs Braves (after Braves take the Cubs in 7), Sox win in the 7th game.

Edit - Umm, not that I pay attention to this stuff at all...

*this message sponsored by red sox nation*

[ Friday, October 14, 2005 22:54: Message edited by: Jumpin' Salmon ]
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

As a Red Sox fan, I'm not that shocked that the Yanks bombed. They aren't a good team, and like the Sox had some pretty bad pitching problems.
*this message sponsored by red sox nation*

Don't get me started Salmon. I might hate them right now, but I'll defend them till death. If you wanna talk about a bad team, the Red Sox (85 years without winning) are def at the top of the list. You take out Manny and David, and the whole team falls apart. Yes we have bad pitching and not a good year, but we are sooooo a good team.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Marlenny:

Okay, How much did it suck the Yankees loss???.
Uh... in case you didn't notice, pretty much everyone who isn't a Yankees fan hates them with a fiery passion. Best team money can buy. (Thus, it was really funny to watch them flounder early in the season)

EDIT: It's kind of like the Astros in the NL. We all hate them, because they won't die. Just like roaches.

Go Cards!

[ Friday, October 14, 2005 23:22: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #5
I guess if you have 200 million dollars to burn, you can get anything right?

The charm of the Red Sox is that they are in the hunt almost every season, and they almost never exceed the salary cap. They manage to attract excellent players with things other than huge salaries, and are always ready to discard players that only play for big money. It was not a mistake to get rid of Lowe, Martinez, or Garciaparra, since the Sox are a team, and not a collection of huge egos.

That said, I happen to like some of the guys that are currently taking George's money. Bernie is a standup guy, and Hosada is, well, mysterious. But Alex is a [censored] and his true colors showed last post-season when he knocked the ball out of the glove. That was disgraceful. But no use chatting over an ended season, both teams had excellent records given the injury levels. We just got beat by much better teams.

After all, the Angels had Orlando Cabrerra. Now he's a guy I wish the Sox had held onto...

Edit - the best thing about Red Sox fans is that they never ever say "I hate the Red Sox," but we sure do get disappointed sometimes. I still have the hat I was given in 1976 at the first game I attended. Not in great shape, but I'll never retire it.

*this message sponsored by your local juice dealer*

[ Friday, October 14, 2005 23:31: Message edited by: Jumpin' Salmon ]
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #6
This is baseball, right? I played it for my school on Thursday (13th). I hit a home run, and we won that match. In one innings, agianst a very bad team, we got the whole team to keep taking walks. We ended up scoring 23.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

I guess if you have 200 million dollars to burn, you can get anything right?

The charm of the Red Sox is that they are in the hunt almost every season, and they almost never exceed the salary cap. They manage to attract excellent players with things other than huge salaries, and are always ready to discard players that only play for big money. It was not a mistake to get rid of Lowe, Martinez, or Garciaparra, since the Sox are a team, and not a collection of huge egos.

That said, I happen to like some of the guys that are currently taking George's money. Bernie is a standup guy, and Hosada is, well, mysterious. But Alex is a [censored] and his true colors showed last post-season when he knocked the ball out of the glove. That was disgraceful. But no use chatting over an ended season, both teams had excellent records given the injury levels. We just got beat by much better teams.

After all, the Angels had Orlando Cabrerra. Now he's a guy I wish the Sox had held onto...

Edit - the best thing about Red Sox fans is that they never ever say "I hate the Red Sox," but we sure do get disappointed sometimes. I still have the hat I was given in 1976 at the first game I attended. Not in great shape, but I'll never retire it.

*this message sponsored by your local juice dealer*

I swore not to get into another baseball conversation/argument in my life and here I go. I don't hate the Yankess; I'm just soooo dessapointed at all the roockie mistakes we made. I happened to like Boston, Hell I love David and Manny (sometimes Damon). However, that was before I moved to NY and was put down by my aunt's bf, my cousin, and my aunt herself just becuase I happened to like the Yankees unlike them. I agree about Alex; I remember watching the game and being: that's f---ked up. Posada is def one of my favs, and it was soooo sad to watch Bernie leave. I'm not going into the defending the team cuz you'll never stop being a Red Sox fan or change your views about the Yankees, and I won't change mine eithers. Which is one of the reasons I think some debates are pointless.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #8
I love how we're already as into this as we get with politics...

I support the Yankees but honestly, unless ultimate frisbee beomces an official sport, I'll never care much about athletics. I like Matsui, I'm not a fan of Jeter, and that's all I have to say.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #9
The Cardinals are going to win in 6 games against the White Sox. That's my prediction.

I'm actually quite glad that the Yankees are out. You have to give someone else a chance sometime. :P

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #10
Yeah, it's really nice to see the richest team in baseball get bombed out of the postseason by the Angels. Just like how Boston got swept out of the postseason. As a Cards fan, seeing that was intensely gratifying, in a "now you can remember what it's like" way.

The Cardinals will beat the Astros in 5, and then beat the White Sox in 5. 'Tis my current prediction, as long as Morris holds up against Clemens today.

EDIT: Groan, I'm wrong already.

[ Saturday, October 15, 2005 19:42: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #11
David - this is Pike's year to win Club Nationals. I guess you would be a GOAT fan?

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #12
Ah baseball ... maybe one day it will become a sport. :P

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #13
It is with a heavy heart that I report a 4-3 loss by the Cardinals. The Astros now lead 2-1 in the series. And to make matters worse, the (self-censored)s nearly took out our 3rd baseman (turned out to just be a bruise, thankfully).

We nearly came back...

--------------------

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #14
Too bad the game was in Houston. Otherwise, ol' Pujols would have had another home run.

And how about that throw from their replacement third baseman? I could have thrown that guy out. But then he did make a nice play to end the inning.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #15
Hey, don't knock Luna. He hasn't had a game in weeks. And at least Nuñez is ok... I swear, the Astros can't not play dirty.

Yeah, if it was at Busch, Taguchi would've had a 2-run homer and we would've won. And Mabry would've had a home run in the 9th, instead of just a double.

Oh well, tomorrow is another day... and Suppan should be able to scrape a win together. He's had enough rest, anyway. Even if we can't win tomorrow, Carpenter will win the next one, and then it's back to Busch (where we'll clean up the series, just like last year).

FURTHER UPDATE: The White Sox beat the Angels 8-2, putting the Sox one game away from a pennant.

--------------------

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #16
Everything is falling into place nicely.

The White Sox are yawning past the Angels and the NL is too busy injuring themselves to worry about scoring runs or winning games. Excellent...

*this message sponsored by my bookie*
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #17
Ordinarily I'm a Cubs fan, but I'm enough of a pragmatist to put my support behind the Sox in their quest to win it all. They've favorably surprised me already, and I see no reason why they shouldn't be able to take home the championship.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #18
Well, bottom second in today's game and the first hit just made by the Astros. Maybe a double play coming up...

No, I was not bashing Luna, just making a comment. It seems Taguchi is out and Sanders back in today. Yay!

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #19
Yay Sanders, too bad we lost... Astros lead 3-1 in the series.

In other news, the White Sox are in the series. Good for them. I hope they dance on Houston's grave if they beat us.

Anyway, Carpenter starts next, and then it's back to St. Louis... we still have a chance!

--------------------

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #20
Ahead in this game, though, albeit by a precarious one run.

Well, I think the Cards even deserved to lose that game because of bad attitudes. They can still win though.

EDIT: Never mind. 3-run homer. Lance Berkman. Darn, darn, darn. :mad:

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #21
Ahem... we DID win. Long may King Albert reign! Back to Busch!

(Translated: 3-run home run in the top of the 9th, 2 outs, by none other than Albert Pujols!!!!)

--------------------

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #22
Wow, man, that was amazing. Just amazing. The Astros give up three runs after being one out from the pennant.

I hope the Cardinals can pick up their play and actually be ahead late in the name now.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #23
I'd just like to say that I'm going to continue to update this thread, even though... (shudder)...

All I have to say is... go White Sox.

(And, I hate the Astros with a fiery passion)

--------------------

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #24
Come....join the dark side. It makes it much easier to predict outcomes.

Go Cubbies!!! Oops. I meant White Sox. Sigh. The most under appreciated team in the windy city. 14 gets you 10 when you pick the total, running at 7.5, almost sounds like Vegas is moving on to game two already. White Sox lead Series 1-0, Final score of 5-2.

*this message sponsored by los vegas, leave your money behind*

Pages