how to be an admin?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: how to be an admin?
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #0
well how the people like drakey has become an admin, or how people becomes a moderator?

also i have noticed that very newly registered people has an awesome # of post for the time passed since they registered, you are all the day posting here?

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #1
Well, to be a mod, I have gathered that you would need to be extensively helpful in the game forums, or you have to be Alo. :P In General, the elections have decided who the last couple of mods are, have they not?

And to be an admin, I have no idea. I don't really want to be an admin anyway, so I haven't asked. I believe that Drakey applied when it started, although I think I am wrong.

And for your second question, spam.

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by Johnno:

And for your second question, spam.
Usually, but not always. A lot of my posts came from GF3 forum. I was one of the first to finish the game, so I was able to answer a lot of the questions. Saying hello to new people, and of course congratulating people for reaching 1,000 posts helps as well. Also, beta testing and posting about reports, and answering questions in game forums, too.

Then there are all of the posts in general, like who are you? What is your this or that, the statistics thread, and not to forget all of the irresistible spam opportunities; this is a very good example of the latter :)

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #3
According to Drakey's bio (no, the wiki is still down, I had to get this from the database manually):
quote:
I have been involved with the online Blades of Exile community since early 1998. I became involved with the Blades of Exile Arena run by Akhronath, and I submitted my first entries without having downloaded Blades of Exile and only being familiar with Exile III. I was an active member of all of the old Inside the Web forums - Aceron's Blades of Exile Board, the Monster Arena, and the Lyceum in particular.
As time went on, I became more proficient with the scenario editor, and I began to design better monsters for the arena and write and scrap several more scenarios. In September 2000, just as Inside the Web was going out of business and the Lyceum moved to ezBoard, I released my second scenario, a revamped Party Builder utility for scenario designers to include with their scenarios. ''[http://pub26.ezboard.com/fthelyceumfrm27.showMessage?topicID=261.topic Alternate Level Builder]'', as it was called, was never actually paired with a single released scenario. Still, it showed marked improvement over ''War on Bigail''.
In October 2000, the Arena made the jump to ezBoard as well, and I became the administrator of the forums, Arena Authority as it was called. Since Akhronath and Pokeytax had somewhat disappeared, I stepped up and ran seasons VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII, XIII, and XIV, as well as several seasons of the Titan Arena, a Rabbit Arena, and an SDA Arena. I won two of those seasons - VIII and IX, with Drake Demi-Lord and Mr. Potato.
... in March of 2001, Spiderweb Software created their own message boards, which the active Blades of Exile community flocked to. I became a moderator of many forums there. In September, 2001, Mariann Krizsan decided to move the company boards to UBB, for security and administrative reasons. We decided that I would become a temporary administrator to help set up the boards and smooth the transition.
Apparently, the birth of Cordelia then forced the Vogels to leave most of the admin work to Drakey. Generally, Spiderweb is a board very averse to change and fast careers. Leaving aside stunning scenario production (*cough* Kel), the only way to achieve fame and status here is by coming, and staying around for the next couple of decades. And moderators are generally selected from this bunch.

Yes, some people spend their day posting here. According to my statistics, the total average is about 4.5 posts per hour over the past 7 months.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #4
Interesting read about Drakey. I've never actually seen that particular bio.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #5
Especially amazing considering he is only 7 years old. Precocious.

*this message is helping put the CoC back in precocious*
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #6
And he was appointed admin when he was around 3 years old. :P

--------------------
Polaris-- New location.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #7
I find it amazing that he's still working on RiB :P .

Gonna kill Falling Stars when it comes out. Heck, it'll beat the whole dern Arc.

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
Also, since he says he's been playing Spiderweb games since '94, he has been playing them literally since prior to conception.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #9
Most kids prevaricate.

*this message sponsored by the oxford unabridger*
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
E1 was released in 1994, was it not?

If you can play up guanxi, you don't know everything like Seletine, and you're not a Blades wiz like Kel, your best bet is to win friends and influence people so that the sporadic elections give you a chance of winning. Note that even those rarely go to newcomers. Not without a great deal of conspiring, anyway.

Another thing to note is that Spiderweb is settling down in its old age, particularly its post-Misc. old age. The age of the megamod has ended, although there are plenty of megamod candidates now, and the fun of political maneuvering, conspiracies, and vast, multi-board flame wars have more or less ended.

—Alorael, who sounds way too much like an oldbie. Actually, he sounds remarkably like a geezer. He'll bet you didn't know that in the old days you actually had to write out posts (by hand, since typewriters hadn't been invented) and mail it to Spiderweb. You had to wait a few months before the board "updated" and Mariann or Linda collected all the posts and mailed the new forums off to all the registered members. Those were the days, by golly!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #11
Wait, wait wait, slow down...

Drakey's an actual PERSON! :eek:

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #12
Drakey is the admin. The best you'll ever do is moderator. Spidweb and *i seem to rarely use their capabilities.

How did I get all these posts? Did I post for days at a time? No. Actually, a few posts a day does the trick pretty well. (And then there were those times when I averaged about 16 posts per day, but anyway. :P )

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #13
what? wait a moment i think i mis-read... drakey have 7 years? :confused:
hey maybe this topic should be called "ode to drakefire" :P

[ Tuesday, September 27, 2005 17:33: Message edited by: chicho ]

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
Do not take anything said on these forums too seriously.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #15
But it's a known fact. Drakey was -4 years old when he started playing Spiderweb games.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by WST ben:

How did I get all these posts?
Now that's the million dollar question. Does anyone want to take a guess?
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #17
Odd, how this thread has become a discussion of whether Drakefyre is 7 years old or not. ;)

[ Tuesday, September 27, 2005 18:10: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #18
Actually, the absolute value of his age is 7. We don't know whether it's positive or negative. For all we know, he might not be born until about 2012.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
Which means Drakey <= everybody?

—Alorael, who then finds the hypothesis that Drakey = RW dubious unless RW < everybody, and as everyone knows, RW is not an element of the set of everybody, but the intersection of RW and everybody is the set of everybody. He has also mastered blurry math, however, and has a degree in apples and another in oranges.

[ Tuesday, September 27, 2005 18:51: Message edited by: Name-change roader ]
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Salisbury Steak:

Do not take anything said on these forums too seriously.
You see the thing is, Thuryl, he might not take that seriously.

--------------------
Polaris-- New location.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #21
I certainly wouldn't take advice from a Salisbury Steak. Would you?

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #22
If it said "eat me", I would take that advice. :P
IMAGE(http://www.adamssuperfood.com/data/productimages/salisbury%20steak%20-%20large.jpg)

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #23
What if it said "I want to eat you"?

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #24
Well, thats not advice, so he can't take it.

--------------------
Polaris-- New location.

Pages