Does anyone remember

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Does anyone remember
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #25
There's "..." and "…" and ". . ."

The first is three periods, the second is a single-character ellipsis, and the third is three periods with spaces in between them. The first is correct, the second is apparently more correct, and the third is wrong.

—Alorael, who is absolutely certain that this is correct... unless it isn't. But you know what…? There's a precedent stated clearly somewhere. . .
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #26
At any rate the three periods are easier to write, and actually, an ellipsis is only grammatically correct in my knowing to denote the leaving out of a part of a quote. Or is there something else?

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #27
Actually, many book and newspaper publishers use the three-periods-with-spaces between them as the standard ellipsis. It might be a country-dependent typographical difference. In fact, some style manuals even recommend spaces between the dots under some circumstances but not others.

Linguists use ellipses to indicate a pause in speech, which is also a perfectly acceptable convention.

[ Wednesday, September 14, 2005 18:20: Message edited by: Strychnine ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #28
quote:
Originally written by Not I:

My god you people are old. The first time I played a computer game was around 1995 when my big brother deigned to let me have a try at whatever he was playing.
I'm not old at all. I was two when playing Dark castle, and almost managed to beat the game.

Eagle!! Nice to see you back!!

You knwo what you are talking about, I thin, is Beyond Dark Castle. There you have to place five orbs in the main hall, in order to challenge the black knight. I managed to beat him after three days of intensive playing. Beyond Dark Castle is the easiest of the two. Dark Castle, the original was very, very, very hard. But I still managed to almost beat that stupid black night.

The controls aren't so many. They are very few, actually, when comparing even to Avernum. just walking, climbing, ducking, a "action" key, throwing tocks and aiming with the mouse. That's all.

Now tell me Eagle, where were you? How's your scenario doing? I remember you telling somewhere about a scenario you were starting with.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, emperor of Riverrod:

I'm not old at all. I was two when playing Dark castle, and almost managed to beat the game.

Either you're incredibly talented, or you've made some kind of mistake. A terrible, terrible, mistake. I'm gonna avoid cynicism here, and say it's a typo. Although deep down, I'm frowning at you...

As for ellipses... I gather I'm using them correctly? If I'm not, my English teacher (should she know) would probably introduce me to some kind of dicing machine.

And I still have one or two "real" floppy disks that I got from my uncle. Unfortunately, I have no idea what they contain, since I have no way of reading the data contained on them.

[ Thursday, September 15, 2005 06:37: Message edited by: SupaNik ]

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by SupaNik:

quote:
Originally written by Thralni, emperor of Riverrod:

Either you're incredibly talented, or you've made some kind of mistake. A terrible, terrible, mistake. I'm gonna avoid cynicism here, and say it's a typo. Although deep down, I'm frowning at you...

Okay, maybe I wasn't two, but three, but certainly not over five years old. If you play it, say, three hours a day, you can manage to almost get to that darn knight and beat him.In total I got, I think, about four times at the black night.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #31
quote:
Originally written by Reverbatim:

Dungeon Siege was released in 2002. That's old?

If Dungeon Siege is old, then what does that make of Star Control 2 and the original Legend of Zelda :eek: ?

[ Friday, September 16, 2005 06:47: Message edited by: Frozen Feet ]

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #32
Or the original release of Donkey Kong. I find it rather amusing how he went from badguy monster to goodguy hero over the years.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #33
True confessions of a video game junky:

1977 Discovered some weird new gaming device called Space Invaders at my local Pizza Hut. Instant addiction. Too much of newspaper route money went to feed The Beast and I even sneaked out in the middle of the night and walked over a mile to play it.

1978 My best friend gets an early Atari system. I am not permitted to spend as much time at his house as I would have liked.
early 80's: The arcade explosion. Pet favorites: Donkey Kong, Mario Bros., Galaga, Joust.

1981. First home computer game experience ever. Dad built some sort of PC and it had Adventure (?) on it. You know, the original Zork with the big cave with the "twisty passages all alike" which Jeff V. likes to refer to in the Avernums. I could never finish the damn thing. I got the Trident, couldn't get the magic carpet away from the dragon.

1985. Got my first Apple, a //c and my game trading days began. Wound up with way more cheesy little hacked games than I ever played, but one favorite was surely Loderunner and I even built some of the most brain-wracking Loderunner levels I wager anyone ever saw. The only RPG I ever playe through on the Apple was Ultima IV.

1988-1996. A nice long reprieve from the gaming addiction until I bought my first modern Mac and got online, etc. in 96. Had to get caught up on Doom, Hexen, Myst, Dark Forces, 7th Guest, and much else I'd been missing.
2000's Game playing reduced to Civilization addiction.

2004. Discovered the world of Avernum and slowly got sucked in, never having been a fan or player of D&D type games. Now I feel a lot more geeky than I ever was before. lusting after that Radiant Slith Spear or whatever. Sheesh.
I'm sure this has been utterly fascinating for you to read, but my sympathies if you made it this far. We now return you to your regularly-scheduled deprogramming.

[ Wednesday, September 21, 2005 14:03: Message edited by: synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #34
Well at least I was alive for some of those points. :D

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #35
Three of them in this case.

Thank you for making me feel much younger. :D

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

Three of them in this case.

Thank you for making me feel much younger. :D

Ditto. Although getting older does have some beneifts. Such as the ability to drive legally, drink legally and marry... legally.

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.

Pages