AIM Buddy Making!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: AIM Buddy Making!
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #25
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

I guess the sound quality must have greatly improved in recent years. When I tried NetToPhone about 6 year ago, the sound was very bad even with college dorm's very fast connection.

As for number of broadband users, there are still plenty of people who are fine with dialup. (I don't want to waste 30$/month on DSL if I can do all my web-surfing with a 9$/month dialup.)

Someone who doesn't complain about dial-up??? Wow, I'm shocked. I think that everybody just loves to hate dial-up; I know I do. Skype looks fun, but I rather stick to phone cards. Yeah they can suck at times, but is way cheaper.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #26
Phone cards can't be cheaper. Skype is free.

Or you could be paying extra to communicate with regular phones, but it shouldn't be that hard to convince people to download Skype. All the same, I'm not about to get rid of my regular phone.

—Alorael, who will also have to admit that fitting a laptop in your pocket is difficult even if you do have wireless access almost everywhere, which costs a fortune. A cell phone still has its place... says the person who habitually carries one without turning it on.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #27
It is free, but I think you need to buy a number in order to speak to other people which means that you'd be spending money. I think that if it's calling within the country, then cell phones are def cheaper. You just know how to control yourself and let the long phone calls for weekends.

or late nights. *winks at that special sw member* ;)
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #28
Dialup is extremely aggrieving... I mean, it's an utter pain if you're trying to download music ille- look at pictures of cute and fluffy bunnies. I mean, it's beyond the pale when it takes me three full minutes to load up my mail, on Yahoo.

/rant

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #29
Skype really is free as long as you're only communicating with Skype. It's getting a number that can be called by regular phones, or calling those phones yourself, that carries costs.

—Alorael, who has no excuses for dialup. It's bad. Sometimes you just have to splurge (monthly) for your own good.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Marlenny:

It is free, but I think you need to buy a number in order to speak to other people which means that you'd be spending money. I think that if it's calling within the country, then cell phones are def cheaper. You just know how to control yourself and let the long phone calls for weekends.

or late nights. *winks at that special sw member* ;)

Shhh, they aren't supposed to know about us!

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by Last Light:

Skype really is free as long as you're only communicating with Skype. It's getting a number that can be called by regular phones, or calling those phones yourself, that carries costs.
It's still cheaper than a normal phone for most calls, though. I only have a cellphone - 2 cents a minute is a lot cheaper than the nearly 30 cents I pay otherwise.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #32
Chatting over AIM or Skype is possible and actually not impossible slow with dialup.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00

Pages