Human cloning

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Human cloning
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #50
quote:
Originally written by Slp006:

Reproductive/germ-line cloning of anything, human or beast, is rather pointless, in most cases.
To bring up an exceptional case, reproductive cloning, once refined, could certainly be useful in preserving endangered species present in small enough numbers that conventional reproduction fails to bolster their populations.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #51
Or — although there are really serious technical hurdles beyond simply cloning before this becomes possible — we might be able to regenerate species based solely on knowledge of their genetic code, Jurassic Park-style.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #52
I suspect that trying to rescue endangered species by cloning would lead to fairly disappointing results. In general, by the time a species becomes critically endangered (only a few hundred or thousand left in the wild), its population is heavily inbred, severely lacking in genetic diversity, and prone to both hereditary and acquired diseases. In the long term, such a population has a poor chance of surviving in the wild, and raising population size through cloning may only make matters worse by increasing competition for limited habitat space and food supplies.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #53
I'm actually quite flabbergasted at how many people had serious misconceptions about cloning before this topic.

Imagine this: A man and his wife want a child, but can't conceive. They think about IVF, but then the doctors suggest an alternative. They clone Donald Bradman. Obviously, it wouldn't be resurrecting the Don, and if he decided that he didn't want to play cricket and would rather be a teacher or something, that would be fine. But if he did decide to be a professional cricketer, he'd have a head start by virtue of the best genes in the business.

Moral positions on the above hypothetical situation? I'm sorta on the fence. On one hand it would be cool to be made in the mold of one of the world's greatest sportsmen, but on the other it could be difficult to deal with the expectations that came with it. Kinda like never being able to emerge from the shadow of your father.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #54
I wonder if that would be invasion of privacy. As in: you have to prove that you have a right to the genes before you can clone with them.

EDIT: Fewer words.

[ Saturday, August 06, 2005 20:08: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #55
Could you ever have the rights to anyone else's genes? And aren't there better artificial babies than clones? How many Donald Bradmans could you have before he single-genomically became a form of cricket steroids and regulatory agencies start banning his genes from play?

—Alorael, who is willing to accept that once species are restored or sustained by cloning, it's only a small leap until there's genetic tweaking to restore variety to the gene pool. If nothing else, you could get exciting new possibilities like Canis rufus with bright green fur!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #56
quote:
Originally written by Justice by Trial and Error:

Could you ever have the rights to anyone else's genes? And aren't there better artificial babies than clones? How many Donald Bradmans could you have before he single-genomically became a form of cricket steroids and regulatory agencies start banning his genes from play?
This is already an issue of heated contention in the horse and greyhound racing industries. Many racing bodies have implemented bans on the entry of cloned animals, for fear that the industry could be swamped by clones of past greats once cloning takes off.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #57
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

I wonder if that would be invasion of privacy. As in: you have to prove that you have a right to the genes before you can clone with them.

EDIT: Fewer words.

Perhaps in the future, genetic code will be bequeathed in wills? Or perhaps sold during life like you'd sell a kidney?

Is genetic code copyrighted to its owner? Its owner's parents?

And perhaps new filesharing networks would open up where pirated gene codes can be found. Now that would be weird.

[ Saturday, August 06, 2005 22:34: Message edited by: Aranfoolcaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #58
About my idea of cloning the "perfect person", I agree with Thuryl that there is such a thing. But there at least should be a way to remove any genes specifically known to cause certain diseases or "defects".

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ

Pages