May you rest in peace...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: May you rest in peace...
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #25
I wouldn't, and I don't reckon the kids would either. :(

Snape is still my favorite character, I reckon. It's too bad though, in a way - all these kids will go to see the next movie (or two) and believe he's an incredible traitor. Poor Alan Rickman!

[ Tuesday, July 19, 2005 09:49: Message edited by: Drew ]
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #26
Ah, phoenix song and portraits aren't exactly conclusive evidence, when there are any number of rabbits Rowling could pull out of her hat in book 7. No internal evidence can be conclusive in this case. Maybe Fawkes is just a good character actor. And Hogwarts is full of cool portraits, and they were giving away animated images of Dumbledore in bubblegum for a while there.

For what it's worth though: where is Dumbledore's wand? And isn't it odd that we never exactly see his body? And why would he paralyze Harry, making him a helpless witness to the 'death' scene? It's not a very obviously effective way to protect Harry, especially when the only immediate threat was just Draco. But if it is crucial that Harry believe Dumbledore dead, then it would be vital to have him there. And if Dumbledore really were dead, Harry's belief in his death could not be terribly crucial.

Hmm, I could probably buy some weird hocus whereby Dumbledore did technically die, but somehow preserved some temporary ability to appear and act in book 7. His dying is no problem per se; it's the banal futility of a major character that damages the story -- like Gandalf falling off Shadowfax and breaking his neck near the end of The Two Towers.

I mean, Dumbledore fought a duel with Voldemort at the end of book 5. Now he checks out without even a fight, facing Draco, a werewolf we've never heard of before this book, and Snape? I'm not saying it couldn't make sense within the book-world, but dramatically speaking, it's too much anticlimax to believe, for an author as ambitious as Rowling.

[ Tuesday, July 19, 2005 10:50: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #27
Perhaps Rowling was thinking of the movie end of her empire when she had D exit stage left. Now we can have someone from MoM that is younger and can be played by an actor that will draw in the 18-34 female demographic.

*this message sponsored by colin farrell - the latest to be sued over private pron*
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #28
Everything I thought what would happen did. Harry/Ginny, Hermione/Ron (okay, not so much), Dumbledore dying, Snape being evil. Nothing too shocking.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #29
Fawkes may be a good actor, but I don't think he's good enough to fake the phoenix song of death; it's obviously no mere song. The portrait of Dumbledore seems to have appeared as a result of some Hogwarts charm rather than being created by a witch or wizard. I don't know where Dumbledore's wand is, that's a good question. Had Dumbledore known that more powerful wizards than Draco would soon be present, I think freezing Harry would have seemed the only effective way to protect him; he was invisible, after all, and would surely have risked his own life when Dumbledore was attacked. Harry's belief in Dumbledore's death could very well be crucial - Dumbledore may have felt that Harry needed to move on afterward and rely on himself and could not have done so if he weren't absolutely sure that Dumbledore was dead.

Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings are two completely different things, and Dumbledore and Gandalf play two very different roles. In LotR, Gandalf is arguably the most important good guy. In HP, Harry surely fills that role. Dumbledore has always had the air of a teacher, an advisor, more than a leader or hero. I don't see how it damages the story at all; it opens the way for Harry more than anything else could have. Gandalf, on the other hand, was a more powerful leader and didn't seem to feel the need to train any sort of prodigy. He had no one to take his place.

Remember that Dumbledore had consumed a potion brewed by Voldemort himself and was quite possibly dying already. Rowling made it painfully clear that he was weakened. Snape is of course a powerful wizard; Dumbledore was wandless and greatly weakened by his greatest enemy in the attemt to destroy that enemy. Snape's spell was definitely a climax, and I find the entire situation dramatically believable.

Salmon, what do you mean?

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #30
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

For what it's worth though: where is Dumbledore's wand? And isn't it odd that we never exactly see his body? And why would he paralyze Harry, making him a helpless witness to the 'death' scene? It's not a very obviously effective way to protect Harry, especially when the only immediate threat was just Draco. But if it is crucial that Harry believe Dumbledore dead, then it would be vital to have him there. And if Dumbledore really were dead, Harry's belief in his death could not be terribly crucial.
Ha paralyzed Harry a non-verbal freezing charm because he knew that Harry would make an attempt to harm Draco, therefore sacrificing himself, if you will. And who knows, maybe in book 7 Harry will be able to communicate with Dumbledore through the portrait in the headmasters office.

quote:
Hmm, I could probably buy some weird hocus whereby Dumbledore did technically die, but somehow preserved some temporary ability to appear and act in book 7. His dying is no problem per se; it's the banal futility of a major character that damages the story -- like Gandalf falling off Shadowfax and breaking his neck near the end of The Two Towers.
He was killed — no 'hocus' about it. Apart from the killing curse that Snape performed, of course. And I hope dearly hope that Dumbledore is not reborn in book 7.

quote:
I mean, Dumbledore fought a duel with Voldemort at the end of book 5. Now he checks out without even a fight, facing Draco, a werewolf we've never heard of before this book, and Snape? I'm not saying it couldn't make sense within the book-world, but dramatically speaking, it's too much anticlimax to believe, for an author as ambitious as Rowling.
He was 'terribly weakened,' according to Dumbledore. His reflexes were damaged as well as his skills in the accident (which we never did find out about).

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #31
David - to the best of my knowledge, the actor that player D in the movies (Richard Harris) flew the coop a few years ago. As far as farrell, I saw a news report a couple days ago saying he was being sued for filming certain bedroom scenes which made it out to the public arena.

*this message sponsored by the incident on 57th street*
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #32
Richard Harris got knocked on the head after the second film, and has already been replaced.

There's always the possibility that Dumbledore will take on an Obi-Wan Kenobi-esque, part-of-the-Force guidance role.

Boy, it's tricky coming up with something original, at least without the result seeming too contrived or half-baked. Kudos to Rowling for doing a wonderful job so far, though.

[ Wednesday, July 20, 2005 08:25: Message edited by: Drew ]
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #33
quote:
Now we can have someone from MoM that is younger and can be played by an actor that will draw in the 18-34 female demographic.
That's the part I didn't get, Salmon... Dumbledore drawing in the 18-34 female demographic? MoM?

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #34
For the movies, silly!

The coveted 18-34 demographic that tells execs that their product is hip.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #35
Betcha a beer, Spring.

[ Wednesday, July 20, 2005 10:28: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #36
MoM = Minstry of Magic.

Man! You are sooooooo unhip to not get that one.

*this message sponsored by the acronym a day flip calendar*
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

As far as farrell, I saw a news report a couple days ago saying he was being sued for filming certain bedroom scenes which made it out to the public arena.
Actually, I've read that he's the one suing to try and prevent the release of said film footage.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #38
That's why Dumbledore died? Wow. I wasn't aware how much of that 18-34 demographic consisted of lesbian furries who go for older women/felines...

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #39
Gosh. And people complain that they never learn anything new and useful here. Well, that'll teach 'em.

*this message sponsored by speed-scan news reading service*

Pages