What games have YOU registered?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What games have YOU registered?
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #25
All of the Exiles, Avernum 2, Avernum 3, BoA, and all of the Geneforges.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #26
How many did you pay for?

—Alorael, who has, sadly, paid for all of his.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #27
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

All of the Exiles, Avernum 2, Avernum 3, BoA, and all of the Geneforges.
So you haven't played through Nethergate, Drakey? I'd think it's at least as good as everything you've listed besides the two Blades games.

Alo, I'm pretty sure Drakey mentioned in another thread that he didn't have to pay for any of the games.

[ Saturday, July 09, 2005 20:47: Message edited by: Stugri-La ]

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #28
He doesn't pay for them and hasn't for a while, but was he an E1 beta tester? When did he start with the freebies? Inquiring minds want to know.

—Alorael, who would also like to know about Nethergate. An oversight? A personal preference? A sinister plot? Inquiring minds and all that.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #29
Avernum 3/Geneforge were the first two I beta-tested.

Stughalf, I just recently completed the demo of Nethergate and enjoyed it, and I think I will register it soon.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #30
I think I wrote the history of my Spiderweb addiction (better than skribbane and half the calories!), but what the heck:

I played Exile back in 1995 (I think) and hated it, and promptly put it out of my memory...

Around 1999, I bought the Exile trilogy CD and Blades of Exile, without remembering my earlier Exile experience. That is, until I opened Exile and remembered how much I hated it, and then immediately felt really foolish four having bought four games I couldn't (and still can't) stand. And yes, I have given all of them a try. I don't like the engine and find myself totally unable to enjoy them.

A year later I read a review of Nethergate, and it sounded interesting. I downloaded the demo and really loved it, so I registered. I especially enjoyed being the Romans.

I then tried Avernum 1 and 2, and liked those as well. I didn't like them as much as Nethergate, but I liked them well enough to pay price of admission. I played and finished both.

Eventually, I tried Geneforge, and loved it. I registered it. I finished it multiple times (once with each type of Shaper).

I then registered Avernum 3, but I've never finished it. For some reason, I just never got into it.

I registered Geneforge 2 the day it came out. This is probably my favorite Spiderweb game. I've finished it multiple times.

I purchased Blades of Avernum before trying it, and it kind of killed the Avernum series for me. I found the included scenarios boring, and the scenario editor too difficult to learn, especially since the included documentation was like trying to learn a foreign language using only a dictionary. I tried a couple user-created scenarios, but never got into any of them.

I registered Geneforge 3 shortly after it came out, and loved it. I didn't like it quite as much as Geneforge 2, but it is a solid and fun game.

And *hangs his head in shame* I recently registered Galactic Core. The game has a brain-dead AI, but I'm right now engaged in mouse-to-mouse combat with Ischi over the internet and its really fun.

In conclusion:

Spiderweb games I've registered and enjoyed:

Geneforge
Geneforge 2
Geneforge 3
Avernum 1
Avernum 2
Nethergate
Galactic Core

Spiderweb games I've registered and sort of regretted:

Avernum 3

Spiderweb games I've registered and wondered why I wasted my money:

Exile 1
Exile 2
Exile 3
Blades of Exile
Blades of Avernum

So I've had seven really enjoyable SW games, five that I wish I'd never played (let alone purchased), and one that bored me after a few days of playing. Money well spent? We report, you decide!

I will say that I'm a strong supporter of the "concept" of Spiderweb. I do feel an obligation for paying for Jeff's games - just trying to do my part to support his life so he can keep giving me entertainment.

Z

--------------------
Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #31
I bought GF1 first, but not through registering. I bought it through the Ten 4 X pack and I had no clue about what Spiderweb was. If I had, I'd probably have registered and bought a demo, so as to support Jeff. Next I registered BoA and GF3. I have plenty of demos as well.

--------------------
"The bad news is you and Latin music go together like chocolate ice cream and an onion."—Simon Cowell about John Stevens
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #32
My list:

Nethergate
A1-3
GF1-2
BoE
BoA

And yes, there are some pretty glaring omissions there.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by Zorro:

Blades of Exile

How so?

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #34
I didn't notice this until Ben brought it up, but...
quote:

Galactic Core
Blades of Exile
Blades of Avernum

:eek:

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #35
So he's a little eccentric. If I could afford to maintain it, I'd like to live in a house made entirely out of ice. Can't we all just get along?

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #36
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

I didn't notice this until Ben brought it up, but...
quote:

Galactic Core
Blades of Exile
Blades of Avernum

:eek:

I wrote above why I didn't enjoy these games, but here is the 50 cent version:

(1) BoE has an engine that is painful, painful for me to play. I hate the dialogue, guess-the-secret-word-charades stuff in Exile. I hate having to learn 50 skills when I open a new game, in order to create a character (Avernum handled this much better by letting me select a descriptive character type first, and then ease me into the skill system). And I really hate having to screw around with resedit to make a scenario work. A scenario design utility shouldn't make me use a hex editor to play a scenario created with it. I actually never got more than a few minutes into the first scenario before quitting and being annoyed.

(2) BoA was just really, really boring. The included scenarios where a cheap exercise in traveling from faceless dungeon to faceless dungeon - killing everything, and looting everything. There wasn't any real character or plot development. My party was faceless and I didn't really care what happened to them or the silly village.

Let me emphasize that I only played Valley of the Dying Things, and a bit into a Small Rebellion. But by then I was so bored, the last thing I wanted to do was double click on the BoA icon again.

I also tried Roses of Reckoning. It was a little better, but really just an extended advertisement for BoE. I really got annoyed that the books in the library were just a laundry list of scenarios the author liked that were designed for a different game.

I tried making a scenario, and failed miserably after realizing that I had no idea how to code dialogue, despite the guide's assurance that it was easy and didn't involve any coding.

-----

My problem is that I'm probably the definition of a casual gamer. I don't have hours of time every day to sink into a game, so a game pretty much has to make me want to keep playing or I stop and do something else. I tend to give new games a couple of hours, even if I don't enjoy them at first, because some games are slow to warm up, but BoA didn't really ever warm up for me.

Ever couple of months I try it again to see if it grabs me, and it hasn't yet.

And therein is probably why I've enjoyed Galactic Core - its kind of like a really easy game of Tetris. It is relaxing and doesn't tax me in the least.

Z

--------------------
Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #37
With BoA, you probably registered it a few years too early. If you don't have the ambition of being one of the first BoA scenario designers, just wait a few years until some great scenarios are made.

As for BoE, if you don't like the engine, you could try one of the combat-light scenarios like The Election. It even comes with a pre-made "party", so you don't have to worry about skills at all. You can ask on BoE forum for more advice on which scenarios to try if you don't like the game engine.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #38
Absolutely, there are scenarios that not only provide pre-made parties, but also a vastly re-worked engine.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #39
I don't see what's so hard about dialog. Type in the required text, and then use nodes to make actions upon inquiration of a certain 4 letters. That's not really coding.

The editor is not a pick-up-and-use thing, but with practice, it gets a lot easier and more fun.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #40
quote:
Originally written by Mister Maoben:

I don't see what's so hard about dialog. Type in the required text, and then use nodes to make actions upon inquiration of a certain 4 letters. That's not really coding.
He meant making dialogue in BoA.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #41
Oh.

Well even though, a little practice does leaps and bounds for the enjoyment of a Blades game.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #42
quote:
Originally written by Mister Maoben:

The editor is not a pick-up-and-use thing, but with practice, it gets a lot easier and more fun.

Don't worry Ben, it has been pointed out to me numerous times on these boards that my inability to derive enjoyment for BoA reflects on my own sad, silly character. In fact, I'm just glad I can leave the house without my helmet on.

Z

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #43
I finally convinced my parents that bying BoA wouldn't make me addicted. I'm finally also will have a registered game. :D :) I have all the other spiderweb games, but they are demo's The only game I don't have is GF 2 (Once I had it, but when I installed my Mac system again, it wiped my harddisk clean, so I lost it.)

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!

Pages