In only 139 days.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: In only 139 days.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #75
quote:
Originally written by Vote Arancaytar:

He is at least at one point called manically depressed by Arthur. I think it's while they are sitting on the surface of Magrathea guarding the entrance to the caves the others are exploring (no, I don't have the book here right now).
Just because he's described as such, doesn't make the label accurate; Douglas Adams is not a psychologist. There's a common popular misconception that "manic depression" is simply a term for any severe depressive disorder.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #76
Certainly he's not suffering from a bipolar disorder.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #77
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

quote:

Also, Thralni, it's spelled "manically".

You know, maybe its just me being nervous because of a concert I have tonight, but would you PLEASE stop correcting each others posts. I don't say this because I spelled it wrong, but... well, maybe i'm just nervous. I don't want to insult people, but I'm really getting tired of this "correcting-mania" that has started here.

That is the nice part of Spiderweb. I have always appreciated that part, better grammar can never hurt you!

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #78
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

quote:

Also, Thralni, it's spelled "manically".

You know, maybe its just me being nervous because of a concert I have tonight, but would you PLEASE stop correcting each others posts. I don't say this because I spelled it wrong, but... well, maybe i'm just nervous. I don't want to insult people, but I'm really getting tired of this "correcting-mania" that has started here.

Well, I'm German, I have to correct people, there's your stereotype. :P

Also, since the other topic has been closed, here's my reply to your question about why Spam posts should be avoided: ;)

1. It takes up disk space. There have been two board prunes in the past year. Both of them deleted valuable, historical posts (discussions, roleplays, etc.) that are now only available in the archived version. I and many others would be very... disappointed... to see more such valuable old posts be deleted just because some noob wants to be titled "Veteran".

2. It clutters communication. When I read these forums, I often have to do this in a relatively short time (say, thirty minutes). I can read most of the daily posts at General in that time, but I'd rather only read at least somewhat interesting stuff (there's no denying that off-topic posts or 'spam' can be interesting, but there is a line between refreshing insanity and pure, dumb stupidity). If I find myself ploughing through a dozen topics with two new pages each and in the end find perhaps two or three posts that are remotely interesting, I'm disappointed.

[ Thursday, June 30, 2005 13:32: Message edited by: Vote Arancaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #79
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:

He is at least at one point called manically depressed by Arthur. I think it's while they are sitting on the surface of Magrathea guarding the entrance to the caves the others are exploring (no, I don't have the book here right now).
Just because he's described as such, doesn't make the label accurate; Douglas Adams is not a psychologist. There's a common popular misconception that "manic depression" is simply a term for any severe depressive disorder.

Heh, don't tell me - I remember a sermon in a church where the pastor used just the term "manic" to refer to depression. :D

And while it may not be technically correct, "Marvin the Manically Depressed Robot" is an accurate quote from the book just like "Paranoid Android", though it is clear he doesn't suffer from paranoia. It's like questioning the factual accuracy of the Earth getting demolished by Vogons. :P

((Actually, Marvin does display some occasional moments of megalomania - "Brain the size of a planet" -, which often accompanies the manic moments of bipolar people - I know someone with this in real life, and he alternately bounces between deep depression and ideas of being the greatest philosopher the world has yet seen etc.))

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #80
How fast does your friend cycle? If he's manic for weeks at a time and depressed for months at a time he may be bipolar. If he can be manic and depressed several times within the space of a week he's probably just cyclothymic.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #81
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

How fast does your friend cycle? If he's manic for weeks at a time and depressed for months at a time he may be bipolar. If he can be manic and depressed several times within the space of a week he's probably just cyclothymic.
According to him, it lasts for at least a week. And he's been on sick leave since Easter, with what I think is depression (he usually comes in when manic; he has some concentration trouble but is otherwise able to work).

--------------------

Pages