Capitalism ho!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Capitalism ho!
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #75
Skrilling that's what.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #76
Investment banks love islands. Go visit the Cayman Islands. Hawaii would be great and convenient for offshore accounts, money laundering, pirate computer programmers, hidden accounts, tax evasion, and various other such things. :P It is more likely that they would ask for Hawaii and we would give them a choice of Puerto Rico, Guam, or the Virgin Islands. Throw in a few atolls and Midway and it might be a good deal.

[ Monday, May 23, 2005 00:40: Message edited by: Duke of Toast ]

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #77
Uh-oh, Toast, 666. :eek: :P

I like paper money. You can routinely get it in larger chunks that 25 cents apeice, and it wighs much less than a pocketful of change. Not to mention wallet space...

And the new dollars are becoming almost impossible to counterfeit. Though you can't really get all your money in gold nuggets anymore, who wants precious metals anyway?

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #78
Since gold isn't really any more intrinsically valuable than pretty bits of paper, the gold standard wasn't fundamentally different from the current system of fiat money. Except in one way: for a brief period around the end of the 19th century, all the industrialized countries effectively had a common currency, because they were all on the gold standard.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #79
Another problem with a gold standard is that it artificially raises the value of gold. This wasn't a problem in the days when gold was used mostly for things like jewellery that were valued largely because they were expensive -- and besides, there was generally enough gold in the world to go around, since there were fewer people to share it among and fewer goods to spend it on. Even so, precious metals were in short enough supply that fiduciary money (basically, money that claims to be able to be exchanged for precious metals that aren't actually kept in sufficient reserves to honour every bank note in circulation) was in wide use by the 19th century.

Nowadays, though, significant amounts of gold are now used in the electronics industry and in medical research. I don't know how much returning to a gold standard would increase the cost of your mobile phone, but I'm willing to bet it wouldn't be pretty.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!

Pages