From AOL News 2

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: From AOL News 2
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #25
Are they really illegal in North America? I thought they just didn't sell, because they would fit in the glove compartment of most SUVs. Probably you're right, though, because if it were possible to drive a Smart car here, I would surely have seen at least one by now: there are enough rich tree-huggers that do stranger things than that.

For normal folks, Smarts are very expensive for what you get. They cost about as much as a normal car, I think, but they only fit two people, barely. So they're a pain to drive, but a pleasure to park. Where I'm living now, that doesn't actually sound like such a bad bargain. But the cost would still be a real turn-off.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #26
The way I look at it, if an animal runs out in front of you on the road, it's not your fault. After all, the road was built for cars and not meant for animals and it should be noted that cars are not always creeping along.

So if your animal gets hit because it was on the road, well, too bad. Your animal must not have been very smart. :P

Also, swerving to avoid something is bad, unless it's_huge. Unless, of course, your are of the disposition that a little squirrel is of more value than car repairs and possibly your life. Run it over in the name of fun.

Deer should be avoided if possible because of the damage caused by hitting it, but if you must hit it, it would be better to do so instead of swerving into oncoming traffic or off a cliff.

[/needlessrambling]
[/post]

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #27
*Waits patiently for spy.there to read this and strangle Ben*. :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #28
Anyone who has ever hit a deer will contest the merits of hitting it as opposed to veering out of the way.

As for Smart cars, the European version isn't street legal for the US, but they're currently in the process of introducing a version to the US that is. People in my town and California may buy them, but I'm not sure that it'll sell very well elsewhere.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #29
quote:
Originally written by Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore'...:

*Waits patiently for spy.there to read this and strangle Ben*. :P
I would do the good work, but I simply don't have the time.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #30
I would do it, but my rat just passed away, so I would likely say something fairly rude. (Yeah, I know, I wanted to say it.)

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #31
That's rough. My condolences on the loss. I've never had a pet, but judging by how upsetting it was when any one of the hundred ferrets in the ferret shelter I've worked at passed away, I have a fair idea of how painful it might be to lose one's pet.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #32
Thank you for your kindness :) :(

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5699
Profile #33
How can they be to small for your roads?
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #34
quote:
Originally written by AQUILA:

How can they be to small for your roads?
It's a safety issue - most US SUVs would annihilate a Smart car in an accident, and there are many SUVs here sharing the roads.

[ Wednesday, May 11, 2005 10:50: Message edited by: andrew miller ]
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #35
Smart cars aren't illegal! What's this size nonsense? So motorcycles are illegal too right because they would be annihilated in an accident. Cars are illegal because jacked up trucks would crush them. :rolleyes:

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #36
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

Smart cars aren't illegal! What's this size nonsense? So motorcycles are illegal too right because they would be annihilated in an accident. Cars are illegal because jacked up trucks would crush them. :rolleyes:
Maybe not in Canada.

I agree, it makes no sense, but there are different safety standards for cars and motorcycles, just as there are different gas mileage standards for cars and trucks. To the DoT, it's apples and oranges, even against all reason. This is likely due to special interests, whether SUV manufacturers or Harley-Davidson owners. I was in Madison the day the state house was going to vote on banning riding a motorcycle without a helmet, and the sheer number of guys on Harleys circling the state capitol building in protest was impressive, though their motivation IMO was pretty wrong-headed.

[ Wednesday, May 11, 2005 11:48: Message edited by: andrew miller ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #37
Wha? Over here you can't even ride a regular bicycle without a helmet.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #38
Hey, we've never made any claims on being enlightened. It's all about the application of brute force and will, whatever the cause. :)

[ Wednesday, May 11, 2005 12:14: Message edited by: andrew miller ]
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #39
quote:
Originally written by So I Will Eat Fugu:

Although it seems to me that a lot of people do.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #40
quote:
Originally written by So I Will Eat Fugu:

And also, you're not allowed to caffeinate non-dark sodas.

Obviously, Smart cars are illegal because the auto industry doesn't want the competition. The safety BS is just a cover-up.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Apprentice
Member # 4404
Profile Homepage #41
"The way I look at it, if an animal runs out in front of you on the road, it's not your fault. After all, the road was built for cars and not meant for animals and it should be noted that cars are not always creeping along.

So if your animal gets hit because it was on the road, well, too bad. Your animal must not have been very smart."

how does this make sense? And if it was a person, would you swerve or stop?

--------------------
People says Microsoft paid 14 million dollars for using the Rolling Stones song "Start me up" in their commercials. This is wrong. Microsoft paid 14 million dollars only for a part of the song. For instance, they didn't use the line "You'll make a grown man cry".

Pages